Long Reef / Nth Head 28/07

Beaver

Hi all

With the conditions looking so good lately we decided to have a fish out at long reef last Saturday and look for some nice snapper.

We headed out from Roseville ramp to be greeted with the best conditions we have seen for weeks! no swell, no wind, no rain! Everything was looking great for a good snapper session. We actually made it out to Long Reef from Roseville in about 25 minutes going flat out!

We got out there and anchored up and started a burley trail. Not long after we started pulling in the dreaded sweep one after the other. Now I read on here that someone said sweep were good to eat so we decided to keep only 2 to see if they taste alright. A little later my rod got a good hit and I was hooked up to something half decent, couple of mins later a nice 43cm Blue Morwong was in the boat! After fishing for 30 mins the wind really picked up and there were white caps everywhere all the other boats got out of there and so did we!

Went to Nth head to escape the wind and managed to catch a six spined leather jacket, and 2 trevs (biggest about 40cm). They really do fight well on light gear.

All in all not a great day, but we managed to get a feed at least.

Also the 2 sweep actually tasted great, better than the leathery in my opinion.

Beaver

post-3646-1185924042_thumb.jpg

post-3646-1185924060_thumb.jpg

We fished the same spots on Sunday and were just as dissapointed with the Westerly that came up. Long Reef only gave up some Wrasse (about 40cms) We ended up under North Head anchored in the wash and berlied hard for about 20 Trevally. Kept enough for a feed and let rest go for next time. We also managed some big Slimeys in the same spot on the way out in the morning.