Nut With Double Seals For Cable Steering

achjimmy

Hello All

Some time ago on either this forum or the other one. Somebody mentioned an aftermarket nut that went on to teleflex cable steering with double wiper seals and grease/oil nipple so the cable steering could be filled with ATF oil. Any body remember or know of them?

Edited by Flightmanager

Hi Jimmy, I never seen such a thing and I would be surprised if it worked because it would need to go on the port side of the tilt tube and I do not think the seal would last any length of time. Older steering cables had a grease nipple on the starboard side, which allowed you to grease the cable, but that was B4 the inner and outer rod of the steering cable were both SST. Now days with regular use and some maintence with both rods being SST, we do not have much problem with seized steering, except on older engines with the older style cables.

You could try Morse on 9417-6099 and they are located in Chatswood. They might have a nut like you describe and I have just have not seen one-it would not be the first time I am wrong :)

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi Jimmy, I never seen such a thing and I would be surprised if it worked because it would need to go on the port side of the tilt tube and I do not think the seal would last any length of time. Older steering cables had a grease nipple on the starboard side, which allowed you to grease the cable, but that was B4 the inner and outer rod of the steering cable were both SST. Now days with regular use and some maintence with both rods being SST, we do not have much problem with seized steering, except on older engines with the older style cables.

You could try Morse on 9417-6099 and they are located in Chatswood. They might have a nut like you describe and I have just have not seen one-it would not be the first time I am wrong :)

Cheers,

Huey.

Somebody else found me this http://www.davisnet.com/product_documents/...0CblBudENGL.PDF

which is not what i saw before but is simlar. apprantley somebody in Brisbane used to make something as well.

Hi Jimmy, I went to the link and yes it looks good in principle but not sure how good it would work. I personally have not seen anything like that on a boat. It seems to be a US thing, maybe contact them and see how much and if it was under $100 I would be tempted to try it and see how it performs in our environment with salt water.

Cheers,

Huey.

Jimmy

Here you go.....I have one on my Johno steering...bloody brilliant!

http://www.livebaitlarry.com/knut.asp

Cheers

Chris

ps. maybe it was me that mentioned it

thanks

Huey that Davis system is USD$30, what i dont like is the drilling etc and the fact i would have to pull the cable back out of the motor. The Knut that chris has sounds better and is what i had seen previusly.

I have staff in the states next week so i think i will order the knut and give it a try! USD$10 cant go wrong trying it.

thanks

Huey that Davis system is USD$30, what i dont like is the drilling etc and the fact i would have to pull the cable back out of the motor. The Knut that chris has sounds better and is what i had seen previusly.

I have staff in the states next week so i think i will order the knut and give it a try! USD$10 cant go wrong trying it.

Jimmy

That was my thought. Best $20 I spent on the boat.

Cheers

Chris