Nsw Fisheries Boarding Boats At Browns Mountain

Ross Hunter

Raiders,

I was out trolling for southern blues to the north and wide of Browns whan alas I was shadowed by a NSW fisheries patrol boat ..Having had this experience before as a charter boat I readied for the SEA PATROL LIKE OPERATION.

Sure enough the rubber duck went in and over came the boarding party made up of a rugged looking fisheries officer resembling Jame Bond in drag and a rather pretty girl (Lisa McClune look alike) They were most courtious and asked "What we were doing and had we caught any fish?" They then checked licences and our vessels papers (a point that I find hard to comprehend because NSW FISHERIES duristriction is 6 n. mile to sea, I always thought that the oceans were under Federal control) Oh! well who is this humble fool to argue anyway!

As it turns out on BROADBILL and BILLFISHER we pay $180.00 per annum for an exemption for our anglers so that was OK . Then as quickly as the invasion came it went as the fisheries team headed to Browns to inspect every boat there.

So Raiders do not think that it's out of sight out of mind anywhere on Mother Ocean.

MAKE SURE YOUR CATCH IS LEGAL ..YOU HAVE YOUR LICENCE WITH YOU AND YOU BOAT AND SAFETY GEAR IS UP TO DATE.

OR YOU MAY BE HAVING A VERY EXPENSIVE FISHING TRIP. :mad3:

Geez, I would still prefer it if the spent more time targeting people raping rat kings. I don't know if that is our money well spent. As you said probably better of NSW maritime doing safety checks on their budget not ours.

Nah Maratime are too busy sponsoring boat shows and such. They are working towards being self funded totally so more mooring fee and rego fee increases all round.

I though it was 20nm limit in the old days but happy to see any vessel checking and doing it courtiously.

Some of the vessels out there sometimes are hardly bigger than the Rib they launch.

Pel

Yes, people can catch more of the inshore undersized fish.... To go to Browns you are generally an experienced fisho! I think they definately need to try and moniter the browns, however, there is never going to be as many undersized fish taken, because you have most of them with no size limit....

Ross, it is only 6 nm for them, but you can understand why they do it.... Just wish they would catch some of the people slaughtering small bream on the Hawkesbury.

Yes, people can catch more of the inshore undersized fish.... To go to Browns you are generally an experienced fisho! I think they definately need to try and moniter the browns, however, there is never going to be as many undersized fish taken, because you have most of them with no size limit....

Ross, it is only 6 nm for them, but you can understand why they do it.... Just wish they would catch some of the people slaughtering small bream on the Hawkesbury.

I should also note that Fisheries, Maritime, Customs and Police sometimes take each other out on their boats so you have to look closely at the uniforms. We have experienced police on Customs boats way out wide sailing up North and a fisheries bloke on a trawler out there as well.

So who should be doing the inspections further than 6nm out?

And really I guess they could just wait at the 6nm mark and do it then as you come in. I know Maritime are going to do a few nightime blitzes in Syd Harbour this Spring to keep Wak and noise down around ramps. I suppose they or police will also be checking the new Harbour Bridge speed limit as well.

Pel