Braid Problems

KingsRule

Hey guys, had this reel for a while but only used it a few times.

It is spooled up with 10lb platil braid. Regardless what is on the end (metal , plastic , squid jig etc) it always tangles up, im talking almost every second cast. I have used this brand of braid many times, never had a problem, the quality is fine, the line was also spooled up on a spooling machine at the tackle shop. So is it the reel acting up? What are your thoughts.

Rob

Hi Rob

I had a similar problem with a brand new Abu Baitfeeder. I have had no probs with braid (up to 20lb) on any of my Daiwa reels (alway fed on under pressure) but the Abu just stuffed up every time! I took it back & complained & they didn't say much, but said to try mono. I did that & haven't had a stuffup since! It is now my rock blackie/drummer reel!

It is my thought that there is a slight difference in design in the spools. Some suit braid, some don't! I have at least 6 reels with braid, so know how to put it on & how it reacts. When casting, always make sure there is not a loop over the front of the spool - this will surely result in a birdsnest eventually. However, when it happens & there is no loose loop, you have to consider the design of the spool. When winding in, if it doesn't lay the line smoothly right across the whole spool (ie no gaps either side of the line to the spool wall), the line will slip down on the edges & cause big problems when casting.

It will be interesting to hear of others' experiences!

Cheerio

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Hi guys,

its an interesting problem which I also have with a Shakespeare Summit Z3750 bait runner which was bought new in '03. :biggrin2: Almost right from the start it threw off birds nests, :1badmood: and it did not matter what weight mono I had on it, or if the spool was full or half empty. The reel came with two spools and I have tried both of them and have the same results. The spools are taperd so that could be the problem. :unsure:

The gear ratio is 4.6 - 1 and I wonder if the throw of the spool forward and back is not in tune with the laying on of the line, as I have noticed that the line gets laid on in a position where it does not build right up to the inner edges of the spool, leaving a small space where the line can collapse into , which might allow the loose line that is needed for the problem to happen. :ranting2:

Either way, it is a real bummer to have a piece of equipment that you have paid good money for and it does not work as it should. Initially I thought it was my error that was causing the problem , but I have been fishing for over 50 years and owned many reels, some good and some absolute crap, but I have never had an eggbeater that does this. I guess the moral is to always buy quality, and this Shakeunderwatere is not quality.:thumbdown:

tight lines

Sails

It is spooled up with 10lb platil braid. Regardless what is on the end (metal , plastic , squid jig etc) it always tangles up, im talking almost every second cast. I have used this brand of braid many times, never had a problem, the quality is fine, the line was also spooled up on a spooling machine at the tackle shop. So is it the reel acting up? What are your thoughts.

Rob

Ive found that you have to underfill the spool a little to prevent tangles and its fine. Try 1- 1.5mm from the lip on your 4000

I also take a washer off under the spool of my Shimano reels so the line packs onto the reel with a slight bias to the top edge like a daiwa spool. This helps aswell. Try these two things and see how you go.

Hey guys thanks for the tips

The line is not layed flat on the spool , in a shallow m pattern if that makes sense? avoiding the very top and bottom of the spool.

After all the tangles i have had to remove about 2 or 3mm of line , and am still getting the tangles..?

Although in the past with other reels , removing the top little bit of line has heleped dramatically.

Bobfish - just checked, the roller turns with ease and smoothley

Roberta - that loose loop can be a killer! , happens quite often when im using light lures or baits.

Im thinking the reel may not be braid friendly OR a bad batch of line..

Hi Rob,

My first thought is that it is due to the oscilation speed of the spool. The Sahara oscillates a lot faster than your Symetre 4000. This results in the braid being laid across itself rather than in parallel and would likely cause more tangles.

and I agree....BRING ON SUMMER!

Kit

I had that exact problem with a baby Stella. The reel would not pick up the line properly. The result was a loop in the spool or, the line wrapping around the rear flange of the spool. Next cast, big bloody tangle. :1badmood:

I got rid of it.

My new Stellas don't have this problem. Aparently (I have been told) it was a problem with the oscillation.

The guys at my local tackle shop recommend Daiwa in the smaller reels as this doesn't happen. I have stuck with Shimano and have managed to (rather expensively) solve my problem. :yahoo:

Bloody frustrating isn't it? I reckon I chewed through 100 bucks worth of braid due to this issue. :ranting2:

Hi Rob

With the 'm' currently being created, you could try to counteract it by removing all line then putting something underneath before spooling up again, to build up the areas that the dips occured in?? Even some sort of strong sticky tape could work (may just have to cut it to the width that you require) - so that the dips are taken out & the line is encouraged to go on flat, right to the edge! DOes that make sense?

Anything is worth a try - no doubt it is well out of warranty - or else, try it with mono & see if it still happens. Sails was with me when I had my first fish with the brand new Abu baitfeeder & on the 2nd & consecutive casts, it snarled every time, so there was no time for the line to get twist into it. It had a mind of its own. Since replacing the braid with mono, no problems!! I suppose, I could always try to topshot it with a bit of braid .... can't really be bothered tho - I've already thrown away half a spool, as the snarls were something horrible!

Good luck!! Don't be afraid to experiment!

Cheerio

Roberta

Rob

i know exactly how you feel, iv got a sahara 1500 and a 4000 and its done my head in, iv sppoled over, spooled under ,from the side...you name it....so i said stuff it, i like fishing with braid because of how responsive it is, so im just gonna get myself a baitcaster and thats it.

Hi Kinghazza

Either that, or get a Daiwa! I have not had one problem with braid on Daiwas!! I usually use 2500 or smaller.

I get worse bird nests with baitcasters!! Just when I think I had it pat, the next one chucks a wobbly! You need to know that every cast is a winner!

Just remember - every snarl is just a series of loops, until you tighten it!!! Then it is a KNOT!

Cheerio

Roberta

Hi Kinghazza

Either that, or get a Daiwa! I have not had one problem with braid on Daiwas!! I usually use 2500 or smaller.

I get worse bird nests with baitcasters!! Just when I think I had it pat, the next one chucks a wobbly! You need to know that every cast is a winner!

Just remember - every snarl is just a series of loops, until you tighten it!!! Then it is a KNOT!

Cheerio

Roberta

well the baitcasters on its way in the mail, so i guess ill just have to find out for myself, thanks anyway.

• 1 month later...

Its not always the reel that is the problem with Braid ,if the rod guides are not set in the right spots you will have never ending problems with twist and knots in your braided lines.

Take your rod over to Tony at Fishfinder Bait and Tackle and let him have a look at the size of the guides and the spacings.There may be a problem that he can fix if that is indeed the case.

I had a rod that I was using with my Certate 4000 and had all sorts of troubles with wind knots until I changed to a different rod and no more hassles,the guides were in the wrong spots and the stripper guide was set way to high.

Cheers Stewy

Its not always the reel that is the problem with Braid ,if the rod guides are not set in the right spots you will have never ending problems with twist and knots in your braided lines.

Take your rod over to Tony at Fishfinder Bait and Tackle and let him have a look at the size of the guides and the spacings.There may be a problem that he can fix if that is indeed the case.

I had a rod that I was using with my Certate 4000 and had all sorts of troubles with wind knots until I changed to a different rod and no more hassles,the guides were in the wrong spots and the stripper guide was set way to high.

Cheers Stewy

Tony has just modified the guides on one of my light bream rods and it has fixed the braid casting problems I was getting

I use a sahara 4000 spooled with 6lb fireline on my light beach rod and dont have any problems at all

Edited by The Iceman

ive got a sahara 1500 that i spooled up with 6lb sufix tornament braid and ive never had a problem but my friends got a sedona 1500 spooled with 6lb fireline and had the same problem. i think he didnt keep pressure on his line when spooling though