Snapper On Broadbill And Billfisher Yesterday

Ross Hunter

We fished the southern grounds yesterday and whilst conditions were 25 knot west winds and there was a build up of slime in the top layer of the ocean, all this made conditions a little more difficult . However, despite this we still caught a reasonable catch of snapper to 1.5 kg The fish have come down dramatically in size this week and why I cannot understand, maybe the slime.

We had Scott Tam (fishraider) as our charter and whilst we favoured a day on the tuna, the weather did not allow us to go wide.

We steamed south to Marley and then trolled lures in close on the way down and back.The past few trips we caught kings and salmon, but not a bite yesterday.

We anchored in 68 metres and first bait in on a floater I hooked a 1.5 kg snapper "Mmm I thought to my self this looks good" but I then noticed that the line had accumulated a lot of slime ( a gluggy substance that can build up on the ocean's top layer)

The crew worked hard all day and we ended up with maybe 18 snapper of which half were "Just on or Unders" and were released.

post-256-1186869943_thumb.jpg

post-256-1186869952_thumb.jpg

post-256-1186869963_thumb.jpg

Billfisher kept fourteen snapper and like us a catch of misc jackets, mowies, pig fish and trevs.

All in all not up to our normal standard over the past month .

See My Webpage (click on my web page and go direct)and while your there, roam around FISHING STORIES and HINTS and FISHING REPORTS for hundreds of photos of big snapper, bluefin, yellowfin, kingfish,marlin and dollies....I both pages when you get to the bottom CLICK CONTINUE and you can go back two seasons LOTS of Helpful hints and How to's They are all there on our site It is currently rated in the TOP 35 saltwater sites in the world...Have a look as we do work hard to be informative for our clients

Regards

Ross Hunter

Thats good work ross in the tough conditions,snapper to 1.5kg are still nice fish

ive noticed too that the size in the last few weeks has come down in the area,not

many big fish & quite a few throwbacks.

Got to agree with you there ross,your fishing site is a great one,really good to

read,informative,plenty of tips & lots to learn.

cheers mate,

steve

Edited by nexus