Line For Barra

Mcfusher

Go with 50 lb Braid and you wont be dissapointed,just make sure the baitcaster you are using can handle that type of line and drag capacity :biggrin2:

Cheers Stewy

G'day McFusher,

I've been lucky enough to head up to Darwin a couple of times as both my brothers lived there for a few years. They are both keen fishos and usually did pretty well. A few years ago, I packed up the tinny headed north and fished the Mary and Liverpool River systems for a couple of weeks. It was sensational.

We have always used good quality small to medium overheads such as Calcutta's and a couple of old ABU's. They did the job great. My best fish to date up north is a barra just over 20lb! I was more than happy using 30lb braid which had a diameter similar to 6lb mono and never had a drama. Just make sure you use a good quality leader of around 50lb and you will pull up most any fish you'll come across.

Have a great time up there, it's a magic place..........

Dave

Hey, i was up in NT last year fishing the Mary river on a 7 day mothership. the guides gear was all loaded with 50lb braid, these guys no what they are doing and Mary River produces more 1m++ barras every year than any other river system. I personally found the 50lb to be an overkill but in saying that we didnt encounter a metre fish. I was happy using my own outfit of 20lb mono and caught fish up to 70cm but i rekon a 30lb braid would be ideal for most situations... good luck!!