Sydney Rod Builders Club

Guest Target

Hi all

After last months non event I have promissed the x-mas cake and mince pies for this one.

Topics for this meet are to start with some test casting in the adjacent park (I think its part of the school, then as per some requests, some looks at home built lathes and alternatives for the beginner.

As always, a general chat session, and bring up any topic you like.

Any other suggestions, please feel free to post.

Address : Lillian Fraser Building 6.30pm (if you want to have some casting) main meet from about 7.30pm. Bellamy St Pennant Hills.

Meet Location

Date: 15 December. time as above.

Hope to see you there.

SRBC site

Adrian

Edited by Target

Guest bluecod

Target,

Thanks for the reminder - last month I totally forgot. It would be interesting to see the result of a cast from a rod that was mass produced [not built on the spine] and the same blank built properly.

I agree, would love to see the difference. I think the off spine would not effect that much, guide spacing and butt setup for the individual would make a difference I feel though. I'd like to see the difference on light weight lures with different grades of graphite blanks. ie I have some cheapie 33M mod blanks that cast well enough for me, but would love to compare with a good high mod graphite USA or loomis blank for example. ( I think I know the answer to that one already though:( ) some of those G USA's are sooo crisp, might have to get one soon. I have already loaded up my 4kg baitcaster with 15 pound braid for a trip to Glenbawn this weekend, be a shame if it breaks and I have to replace it :1Lighten:

See you there.

Adrian

Guest bluecod

The off-spine rod shouldn't make that much difference to distance but I understand that it does to accuracy. I read somewhere [i think it was Clemens] that as the off-spine rod unloads it imparts a different direction to the flight of the cast, from where it was intended to go.

It would explain why some rods appear to cast to the right or left of where the angler intended. Its not going to make that much difference on blue water but it could be a totally different story if you're casting to fish in heavy cover. Maybe AG can shed some light on this at the meeting.