New 1kw Transducer Or Downrigers

sanger

Hey guys,

I have a mate who is thinking of either upgrading his sounder from a 600w transducer to a 1kw model or buying 1 or 2 downriggers. I would just be interestead on peoples thoughts on where the money would be better spent???

The types of fishing that he does most is a mix of bottom bashing in the 100mt ish mark off the heads, chasing kings usually stationary with live baits as we havent worked out a real good method of trolling the livies, jigging and trolling outside the shelf for tuna/marlin with a little cubing thrown in.

My thoughts were if he was bottom bashing browns or something deeper than say 200 or 300 meters then maybe the transducer would be better but seeing as though most of the fishing is done in 150m or shallower then the downriggers would be money better spent. He has a good quality furuno sounder which has no trouble reading clearly all the way to the shelf.

Thanks for your advice!

Tight lines :1fishing1:

Mate at 100 metres there isnt gonna be much difference between the 600w or 1kw.......

If he fished browns then i would definately say go the 1kw.....but if he is only gonna fisdh 100-200 metres the 600watt will be fine.....

Mate at 100 metres there isnt gonna be much difference between the 600w or 1kw.......

If he fished browns then i would definately say go the 1kw.....but if he is only gonna fisdh 100-200 metres the 600watt will be fine.....

Yeah thats what i thought thanks netic, i think the downriggers would be the better buy vto go chase some kings with. Would the 1k give you any better resolution or just a stronger signal????

Anyone else got any thoughts????

Yeah thats what i thought thanks netic, i think the downriggers would be the better buy vto go chase some kings with. Would the 1k give you any better resolution or just a stronger signal????

Anyone else got any thoughts????

Hey fishlexic

i hope you are not thinking the only way to catch kings is with a downrigger

that be far from the truth last sunday they were great numbers of

kings on a reef out from sydney the boats fishing for them there were having a ball

they mentioned they were all jig caught and i can tell you they were above average size........

in regards to the 1kwt transducer there is no comparision in relation to a 600watt

were deep water performance is concerned as netic said in greater depths of 200mtrs and beyond

at say browns for example the quality of the reading is excellant...

well at least mine is....it would be no differant for me looking at the bottom there than

what you would be at say 30 mtrs but this comes at a cost which you of course have to way up.....

i am sure some one here will give you few pointers on using livies for kings............

fishlexic just mention a few names let me think!!!!!!! ......yea... the banks.....

just one of many spots that gets the blood pumping.....

Cheers Warnie..........

Hey fishlexic

i hope you are not thinking the only way to catch kings is with a downrigger

that be far from the truth last sunday they were great numbers of

kings on a reef out from sydney the boats fishing for them there were having a ball

they mentioned they were all jig caught and i can tell you they were above average size........

in regards to the 1kwt transducer there is no comparision in relation to a 600watt

were deep water performance is concerned as netic said in greater depths of 200mtrs and beyond

at say browns for example the quality of the reading is excellant...

well at least mine is....it would be no differant for me looking at the bottom there than

what you would be at say 30 mtrs but this comes at a cost which you of course have to way up.....

i am sure some one here will give you few pointers on using livies for kings............

fishlexic just mention a few names let me think!!!!!!! ......yea... the banks.....

just one of many spots that gets the blood pumping.....

Cheers Warnie..........

Hey mate,

We do go jigging for kings as well but the sounder that he has is more than capable of reading down to about 250 metres clearly so the added power would only be used at browns or other see mounts etc which i dare not send a jig down to because im just not that fit!!!!!! We have caught many a king with our livies but no one has come up with a really good way that i know of to troll them deeper apart from adding sinkers or a jig to a rig which works but not real well.

Has anyone used a donwrigger for trolling for marlin etc, like putting a livie down say 20 meters?????

Has anyone used a donwrigger for trolling for marlin etc, like putting a livie down say 20 meters?????

Yea heaps of times down to around a max of 80 mtrs but a downrigger is not the prefered option

for me personally.......... but fire away with any questions if i can help i will try and answer.............

Warnie..........

Fishlexic

i keep saying a downrigger not as prefered option better clarify myself...

i feel a downrigger is just another thing to get in the way and go wrong etc......

the line on my reels are marked in increments of every 20mtrs with red indellible ink

the bait is dropped down to the desired depth of the present bait marked on your sounder

the sinker is attached to the line via a breakaway elastic band

you can accuretly drop that bait to the desired depth via the increments no guess work

and either drift through or very

slowly troll around the school when hooking up there is nothing to bring in or get in the way to foul up with

this is a very effective method for catching both marlin & kingfish........

hope that helps fishlexic....... try that.......

i generally use a downrigger for bigger baits....

ie..... striped tuna to physicaly take them down......

Warnie..........

Cheers warnie,

Yeah that does help, I have spoken to a fair few people that think down riggers are a really good way to go so its good to hear some alternative methods. You ever used one to run a bibbed minow on to get it down even lower?????

Thanks again.

Cheers warnie,

Yeah that does help, I have spoken to a fair few people that think down riggers are a really good way to go so its good to hear some alternative methods. You ever used one to run a bibbed minow on to get it down even lower?????

Thanks again.

i think there is a lot of merit in it i can confidently tell you that 4 y/fin tuna that i know of

all weighing over 75kg were captured on a squidgy trolled on a downrigger and one on a bibless

a boat that i am mates with has caught more marlin with trolling garfish on a downrigger

than you and i have had breakfasts......so they certainaly work....... one thing though....

i noticed this season was the amount of y/fin tuna caught on technicolour squidgees..... so if you get a chance at the y/fin again maybe a visit is in order to mrs watto or another raider sponser

and grab yourself a couple because them slimey suckers really work......

Warnie.....

Hey guys,

I have a mate who is thinking of either upgrading his sounder from a 600w transducer to a 1kw model or buying 1 or 2 downriggers. I would just be interestead on peoples thoughts on where the money would be better spent???

The types of fishing that he does most is a mix of bottom bashing in the 100mt ish mark off the heads, chasing kings usually stationary with live baits as we havent worked out a real good method of trolling the livies, jigging and trolling outside the shelf for tuna/marlin with a little cubing thrown in.

My thoughts were if he was bottom bashing browns or something deeper than say 200 or 300 meters then maybe the transducer would be better but seeing as though most of the fishing is done in 150m or shallower then the downriggers would be money better spent. He has a good quality furuno sounder which has no trouble reading clearly all the way to the shelf.

Thanks for your advice!

Tight lines :1fishing1:

Hi Fishlexic,

I'll buy into this one although it's the real big waters you're talkng about here and I am out of my league.

As to downriggers I've always use one or two.

Ice fishos overseas and the experienced coastal and freshwater blokes over here and of course the trout blokes on Eucambene as an example, will always say it's best to use a downrigger to be able to fish at the right comfort feeding depth for the species, and particularly on days when you have to dig fish out.

In adverse conditions and at their shutdown times fish will generally hit at a bait and even if it's only for territorial reasons.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hi Fishlexic,

I'll buy into this one although it's the real big waters you're talkng about here and I am out of my league.

As to downriggers I've always use one or two.

Ice fishos overseas and the experienced coastal and freshwater blokes over here and of course the trout blokes on Eucambene as an example, will always say it's best to use a downrigger to be able to fish at the right comfort feeding depth for the species, and particularly on days when you have to dig fish out.

In adverse conditions and at their shutdown times fish will generally hit at a bait and even if it's only for territorial reasons.

Cheers

Thanks jewgaffer,

the downrigger will also be used in between the moured boats of middle harbour and around the heads for kings as well as outside.....

Hey warnie what sort of squigy's

The big slick rigs or something different???

Hey fishlexic, Warnie is talking about the bluewater squidgies that Shimano makes.

They look like this:

post-5116-1188463151_thumb.jpg

Daniel

Thanks daniel............wish i could have done that the first time

you make it look so easy........

hope you don't mind me doing it again.....

Warnie.........

Cheers guys might try pick some up today and give them ago on saturday if i finish work early enough!!!!

Hey warnie you know how you were saying you add a sinker to your line to get your baits down for slow trolling, What technique do you use????? I currently have a couple of rigs set up with about a 1.3m leader with a single hodlum hook snelled with a treble at the end for my live squid and then on my main line i put some heavy bean sinkers or ball sinkers above a swivel and that sort of works..... do you use a snapper lead with a rubber band or something like that instead??????

Hi mate,

I only have one down rigger on my boat, so my other rod is set up as you describe. It gets it's fair share of hits. Infact some days out does the DR. I think the key is the long leader.

If there is a better way I would love to hear it too.

Cheers.

Robbie.

..... do you use a snapper lead with a rubber band or something like that instead??????

Hey fishlexic.........

okay the method i employ quite often is to let the slimey out to your desired distance

lets say 40 mtrs then attache a snapper lead to the mainline via a 32nbr elastic band

(useing same technique you would with attaching your lures to tag lines if trolling lures)

you would pay out the line the bait would then sit at a depth all relevant to weight of sinker

and how fast you troll and current etc......but all being equal just nicely...........

then take your line attache to a peg....or roller troller and set out long on your outrigger

the other outrigger set short at unweighted...ie normal....allowing a downrigger to be placed down the middle

staggered and unempeded......very effective on marlin and and combined along with the other method

i mentioned accounts for a lot of marlin being encountered........

i have never tried that method to target kingies but have no doubts they would

readily scoff it down to hear this noise zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

hope that has not confused you.....easy in practice but harder to explain.....

with the weight as well....it gives you the option of going into nuetral when going over a bait

school and it drops down ever so closer to that school were hopefully ending in with what

we all came out for............

Cheers Warnie...........

Hey fishlexic.........

okay the method i employ quite often is to let the slimey out to your desired distance

lets say 40 mtrs then attache a snapper lead to the mainline via a 32nbr elastic band

(useing same technique you would with attaching your lures to tag lines if trolling lures)

you would pay out the line the bait would then sit at a depth all relevant to weight of sinker

and how fast you troll and current etc......but all being equal just nicely...........

then take your line attache to a peg....or roller troller and set out long on your outrigger

the other outrigger set short at unweighted...ie normal....allowing a downrigger to be placed down the middle

staggered and unempeded......very effective on marlin and and combined along with the other method

i mentioned accounts for a lot of marlin being encountered........

i have never tried that method to target kingies but have no doubts they would

readily scoff it down to hear this noise zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

hope that has not confused you.....easy in practice but harder to explain.....

with the weight as well....it gives you the option of going into nuetral when going over a bait

school and it drops down ever so closer to that school were hopefully ending in with what

we all came out for............

Cheers Warnie...........

Very precise and informative for all Warnie. As I said deep sea pelagics fishos are in a league of their own, although the principles are the same and you've nailed those well too

I've used downriggers as a young kid with my dad on the Lachlan and Murrumbidgee in the late forties, and later in the fifties and in Hawkesbury & Sydney through to the end of the sixties on kingfish, jew & the bi-catch close in around reefs and in rivers etc. and my dad had a small commercial operation.

To do what it takes to give their fishing every chance these days, I believe downriggers are underestimated by anglers and hardly considered by keen leisure fishermen, and I am not sure why.

Thanks Warnie.

Cheers

Edited by jewgaffer