Does A Sea Anchor Help Drifting?

Davemmm

The old man has trouble keeping a good tidal drift at times due to his boat having a windscreen. When the wind blows it catches the boat by the windscreen and pulls him around. If he is trying to drift a channel or bank and follow the tide direction the wind can play havoc with the way the boat heads.

We are thinking that if he uses a small sea anchor tied to the bow it will pull the boat back around with the tide and keep him square on the channel/gutter. Any thoughts on the theory or has anyone given this a go?

Dave

The old man has trouble keeping a good tidal drift at times due to his boat having a windscreen. When the wind blows it catches the boat by the windscreen and pulls him around. If he is trying to drift a channel or bank and follow the tide direction the wind can play havoc with the way the boat heads.

We are thinking that if he uses a small sea anchor tied to the bow it will pull the boat back around with the tide and keep him square on the channel/gutter. Any thoughts on the theory or has anyone given this a go?

Dave

Dave a good sea anchor/parachute works reasonably well drifting and as an auxlilliary to a centre anchor control rope at anchor. When I had the big yaltacraft I used a drogue which improves the safety factor in case the wind blue up or the motor stalled in the surf near rocks etc.

AS to smaller drogues other members or our sponsors may like to add some input, as to where to get hold of one as a drogue very works well and adds to the safety factor far better than a sea anchor/parashute.

you and your dad can never be too careful, Dave.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Im not sure about sea anchors in the river but i recently bought one and tested it outside ,the drift was about 3.5km per hour without and once i put it out the back slowed us down to about 1 to 1 1/2 km/hr.

although i got one thats for boats up to 8m ,mine's only 5m.