What Is The Best Soft Plastics Spinning Reel?

gretsch

Raiders,

Without starting an argument, what is your opinion on the best spinning reel for working soft plastics in the shallow water (0-5 metres)? :biggrin2:

In particular, I am focused on the reel's ability to eliminate wind knots and its prowess at braided line laying on the spool. :mad3:

I have heard that the small Daiwa's are the cream of the crop. :wacko:

Edited by Ceph

Hi Ceph

At the moment Diawa's are most of my reels now. I haven't bought a Shimano in 2 years. But I will look at the new models tho before my next reel purchase.

At the presant I can't fault the Exist's in anyway in the lighter reel end.

My Morethan Branzino would be my fav reel at the moment. Big drag and so small and light!

Perfect Sydney sized reel me thinks. powerful enough for small kings and jews, perfect to cast all day because of weight and size. This is a 3000 sized reel.

Bigger ones the Certate Hypers are great and using one last week snapper fishing with Ross it worked a treat but seriously never got a true work out.

Well as you can see I'm a true Diawa fan at the moment but I use to be total Stella only, but with the line lay issues the old ones had I went else where but have never lookd back since.

Cheers

Greg

Hi Ceph

At the moment Diawa's are most of my reels now. I haven't bought a Shimano in 2 years. But I will look at the new models tho before my next reel purchase.

At the presant I can't fault the Exist's in anyway in the lighter reel end.

My Morethan Branzino would be my fav reel at the moment. Big drag and so small and light!

Perfect Sydney sized reel me thinks. powerful enough for small kings and jews, perfect to cast all day because of weight and size. This is a 3000 sized reel.

Bigger ones the Certate Hypers are great and using one last week snapper fishing with Ross it worked a treat but seriously never got a true work out.

Well as you can see I'm a true Diawa fan at the moment but I use to be total Stella only, but with the line lay issues the old ones had I went else where but have never lookd back since.

Cheers

Greg

Greg,

I have the new Stellas and they are great. The old ones were not good in the smaller size.

My brother has had problems with his small Shimanos.. he is leaning towards the Daiwa. The Tierra is a good price and has heaps of bearings etc... might have to try one!! :thumbup:

Edited by Ceph

Mate I have a daiwa sol 2000 and cant recomend it enough

very smooth and lays the line near perfect I use 4lb fireline on it

and on the spare spool I have 6lb fireline as well

another reel to look at is the Daiwa exceler plus 2500 I find it to be

a perfect match for my medium weight sp set up and it handles the task well

I think it all comes down to budget I.E buy the best you can afford to at the time

you can always sell on later if you look after your gear (I even keep all the boxes

for resale value)

Good luck with your choice

Coollamon

Raiders,

Without starting an argument, what is your opinion on the best spinning reel for working soft plastics in the shallow water (0-5 metres)? :biggrin2:

In particular, I am focused on the reel's ability to eliminate wind knots and its prowess at braided line laying on the spool. :mad3:

I have heard that the small Daiwa's are the cream of the crop. :wacko:

Is it just me or is every question in this section generally about whether to get a Shimano or Daiwa? Hahaha

Im guessing your after a smallish reel mate. I have recommended the Stradic to everyone here. I think in a small reel its the best you need. Your not going to be catching huge fish under heavy drag...

If you want to get something more expensive like a Stella thats OK but I dont think its necessary. Save the big dollar reels for the bigger sizes where they are more needed.

I own a few Daiwas and had a Certate but sold it and I can tell you the Shimano high end reels are equal or better in every area.

PS. Wind knots come down to how much line you put on the reel. You cant put too much. ANY reel will have problems if you dont slightly underfill.

Edited by Roylo

• 1 month later...

hey ceph

i got a team daiwa tierra 1500 and i love it. It was my first sp reel and it served me well as time went on i saw the shimano twin power 1000 and upgraded but i still use the tierra for sps but mainly on flathead and jew fishing lol i noe its a bit small but trust me it is a heap of funn it has also pulled in a nice king and the odd sambo. id say its great

cheers top breamer :1prop:

hey ceph

i got a team daiwa tierra 1500 and i love it. It was my first sp reel and it served me well as time went on i saw the shimano twin power 1000 and upgraded but i still use the tierra for sps but mainly on flathead and jew fishing lol i noe its a bit small but trust me it is a heap of funn it has also pulled in a nice king and the odd sambo. id say its great

cheers top breamer :1prop:

Cheers Mate

So , no tangles or spool loops?? Souns good..

Nothing wrong with using light gear on large fish. Makes it more fun and sporting..

• 2 weeks later...

hey mate i have a tierra 2000 and it s an great reel and I have never ever had wind knots even in a huge amount of brezze.

I matched mine to a tierra 701 rod which will cover your bread and butter fish but for the biggens go to the 3000 or 4000 for jucken lures and jews and kings

steve

hi

i have to put my vote on the stradic 2500, for the money they cost you will find it hard to find better. though i am looking forward to seeing their new desing, i have seen pics but thats all. hope they are still well priced and offer the same quality if not more

cheers

mark