Blackies...caught 3 This Size

gregr2

post-5408-1188992590_thumb.jpgHave been blackfishing for about 2years now, mainly off the rocks around Maroubra with varing results, usually a mixed bag Luderick, Rock CALE (SLIPPERY SLIMMEY SUCKERS, which make great cat food), and the odd Drummer or two if Im lucky. Sometimes nothing... but thats fishing.

Just recently was talking to an old blackfisherman who lives in our building, he fishes no longer(crook knee)and was keen to share some of his secrets. Gave me some old hooks that were in a cardboard box wrapped in waxed paper, like you would see in a museum. He said "I WONT BE NEEDING THESE ANY MORE". I told him AFTER he told me about his secret spot that I would attempt to convert some of his old hooks into fish for him. He mentoined he had not eaten blackfish for many a year but would certainly like to taste that sweet fresh flesh once again.

Well I arrived at THE SPOT (in Botony Bay) I thought to my self this is hopeless, clear water could see the bottom and after fishing coastal white water this looked like a waste of time....I had never fished stringy weed before(which he swore by, didnt even know if I had the right stuff) only cabbage and I was completely out of my comfort zone.

Sat for about 5mins and whammo 3 this size in a row..Im busting my guts to get back down there. Knocked on his door that arvo and plonked one of these blackies in his arms. He said that was how he remembered them( I didnt know they grew that big) and thanked me. TOLD HIM THERE WERE PLENTY MORE TO COME...

What a GREAT SPOT.. all I knew over two years fishing went out the back door..

Tight lines FISHOS..

Terrifric looking fish, Moonset - got that sweeping tail! Hope you measured them .... holding it close to the camera like that makes it look huuuuuge!!! :1prop: Should put 'blackies' on the next social list - you seem to have the spot now!!

Cheers

Roberta

What was the length Moonset? Looks like 45 or bigger... nice solid fish.

Hi Ceph,

Im kicking my self as I did not weigh or measure them...I recon they would have been closer to 50 then 45, went like a train...

Hi Moonset.

that looks like a great fish; they must be coming on again after being a bit quiet of late. :1clap:

Great story about the old fisherman and his hooks and his special spot. ""Seems like everything old is new again""!! I bet his rod and line wern't at all like what we use these days, but he probably still used to catch just as many if not more that we do.

Hope you are able to share many more catches with him. Well done :thumbup:

keep them coming

cheers

Sails

Looks like a great fish :biggrin2:

Are they nice to eat ? I have never eaten a blackie before.

Jess

Hi Jess

Blackfish are rated as fair to good table fish. I think a lot of people get a bad idea about them due to their name...dont let that fool you, they are great my personal favorite. Nice white flesh.

Regards Greg