Woolooware Bay Tailor 8/09/07

Davemmm

I had a couple of hours to spare today so I hit the water with high hopes of doing better than yesterday (all I got was a very wet bum)

On the water right on low tide and headed straight to middle flat off Cap Cook bridge. One hour later I still hadn't got a bite. With the SE wind picking up I headed to Woolooware. Not sure why I went there as it is not a spot that I would usually head to with a wind coming out of the south.

Drifting straight down the channel I landed two undersize flatty's on mullet in the first go. Second drift i kept a mullet strip soaking whilst I shot a SP around. Second cast got nailed by a 40cm Tailor. I quickly dehooked him, sent him back to neptune and fired off again. Straight away I got his identical twin brother. This one had swallowed the lure that far that it seemed easier to remove it from his tail end. Rather than muck around killing him I cut the lure off, dropped him in the keeper and re-rigged with a small white metal lure.

Over the next twenty minutes the little white lure lost a little paint and boated a further nine tailor. Each and every one of them were virtually identical. A school of 40cm tailor had punched their way directly up Woolooware past my boat. All I did was use the electric to keep me in roughly the same spot and fired the lure out. At one stage I had the lure almost to the boat when a fish screamed out from under the boat, smashed the lure and shot off at hundred miles an hour.

Kept two for bait and sent the rest back to Neptune. Problem was I didnt get another bite for the next hour so I left and went for a :beersmile:

Dave

I had a couple of hours to spare today so I hit the water with high hopes of doing better than yesterday (all I got was a very wet bum)

On the water right on low tide and headed straight to middle flat off Cap Cook bridge. One hour later I still hadn't got a bite. With the SE wind picking up I headed to Woolooware. Not sure why I went there as it is not a spot that I would usually head to with a wind coming out of the south.

Drifting straight down the channel I landed two undersize flatty's on mullet in the first go. Second drift i kept a mullet strip soaking whilst I shot a SP around. Second cast got nailed by a 40cm Tailor. I quickly dehooked him, sent him back to neptune and fired off again. Straight away I got his identical twin brother. This one had swallowed the lure that far that it seemed easier to remove it from his tail end. Rather than muck around killing him I cut the lure off, dropped him in the keeper and re-rigged with a small white metal lure.

Over the next twenty minutes the little white lure lost a little paint and boated a further nine tailor. Each and every one of them were virtually identical. A school of 40cm tailor had punched their way directly up Woolooware past my boat. All I did was use the electric to keep me in roughly the same spot and fired the lure out. At one stage I had the lure almost to the boat when a fish screamed out from under the boat, smashed the lure and shot off at hundred miles an hour.

Kept two for bait and sent the rest back to Neptune. Problem was I didnt get another bite for the next hour so I left and went for a :beersmile:

Dave

Enjoyable report Davemmm!

Nice to see you having some fun catching fish in Woolooware Bay. In a cold southerly it can be dead around the bridges and channels but the water seems to stay a bit warmer up there for some reason, and fish will fire a bit better especially when the cold water coming in runs back out, and the water slowly coming back in is not a product of the cold of the night.

You turned a bad day into a good one after all Dave, and you may have been unlucky not catching a couple of really good flathead up there, mate.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

And you turned a bad day into a good one after all Dave, and you may have been unlucky not catching a couple of really good flathead up there, mate.

Jewgaffer

Its too early for the big flathead to wander up into woolooware. They are still skulking around in the deeper holes and sleeping on the edges of the channels. Whilst you will get flatties in woolooware at this time of the year it won't be till December that it really fires.

Your right about the water temp up there. It's always a smidgen warmer in the shallower inlets and bays as they dont have as much water movement with the tide and therefore get a bit more sunshine warming. Still my cheap Garmin was only showing somewhere between 15-16 degrees, not exactly optimal.

Dave