Swaines 2007

nightstalker

G'day, asked a couple of questions about swaines before i went - it got a few looks but no replies. Thought i would let you know how i went anyway.

It was the week after the big wet in SE queensland so it was a rough trip out - top boat though - its the one thats booked solid from Gladstone all year and doesnt roll endlessly.

Took a couple of days to get the fishing wired but once we did it was an endless procession of red throat emperor to three kilo, coral trout to four kilo, big bad tusk fish, GTs, Longtails, Shark and Spanish Mack to 18kg on the troll and various other unstoppables.

About every hour I'd say.. havent been smoked for a while only for the next run to be unstoppable with nearly locked drag and 30lb braid fished over 750 and 850 spinfishers.

Fished 50 braid over a tld on the troll and also used that for a bottom rod off the boat at night.

Got lucky enough to score a midnight red emperor one night which was fish of the trip for me if not the boat - it went 10.94 kilo - a thumper of a fish.

I recommend anyone to go - we had a ball and would of conservatively caught 200 fish over the week - awesome.post-4220-1189646819_thumb.jpg

Nice red

Sounds like the fishing was good

The Swaines has been absolutely hammered for about the last 30yrs so it looks like the baglimits are working

Which boat were you on?

Mate, the fishing was great - i know its not all 20kilo trout like it used to be but for a sydney fisho wanting to experience the reef it was fantastic and the bust ups - wow - there must still be some freight trains down there. ..

Its also like anywhere - it takes time to work out local techniques - its not a case of chuck in and hook up unless youre doing everything right.

Some guys fished the dories every day and caught very little - our little crew worked it out after a couple of days and went very well.

The boat was night crossing - a beauty of a boat - great crew.

That's a great Emperor!

Sounds like a top trip to. Was it maily bait fishing or lures?

What sorta cost is it to do a trip like that?

Cheers

Greg

All up its around two and a half grand to get there gear up and everything. This trip was mainly bait fishing due to the fairly constant 15 - 20 knots of wind, but trolling in the morning and evenings was productive for mackeral, gts and longtail.

All up its around two and a half grand to get there gear up and everything. This trip was mainly bait fishing due to the fairly constant 15 - 20 knots of wind, but trolling in the morning and evenings was productive for mackeral, gts and longtail.

Thanks for the info Nightstalker.

Two and a half grand sounds very reasonable for a weeks fishing/food and accom!

G

Thumper of a fish at near 11kilos.

I can see the reasoning for upping the line rating when fish were unstoppable on your 750 and 850 Penns and those two can just about handle anything on a good rod and 60 b braid for example is only the diameter of about 16lb mono and those penns handle 100lb braid very well. It's not much fun having breaks off and it's always good to see what you hooked up,. Iit could have easily been a record up there and you would never know.

There is a limit to what's good and sporty when you have a dead loss or three anywhere, ay?.

Well done mate and a good report.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Thumper of a fish at near 11kilos.

I can see the reasoning for upping the line rating when fish were unstoppable on your 750 and 850 Penns and those two can just about handle anything on a good rod and 60 b braid for example is only the diameter of about 16lb mono and those penns handle 100lb braid very well. It's not much fun having breaks off and it's always good to see what you hooked up,. Iit could have easily been a record up there and you would never know.

There is a limit to what's good and sporty when you have a dead loss or three anywhere, ay?.

Well done mate and a good report.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

I will go again having had such a great time, I think i will be fishing at least 50 on spinfishers next time, if not 80. It would be nice to see some of the beasts we hooked.

Even with thirty though, i could barely pull drag off the reel, you'd get a fish halfway up and then line would just screem off as it headed to the bottom.

Learnt a few lessons about terminal tackle on hardcore fish.

The spinfishers were great though - over the week they just get so salty but just keep on working and any problems we did have were fixable.

Mate, the fishing was great - i know its not all 20kilo trout like it used to be but for a sydney fisho wanting to experience the reef it was fantastic and the bust ups - wow - there must still be some freight trains down there. ..

Its also like anywhere - it takes time to work out local techniques - its not a case of chuck in and hook up unless youre doing everything right.

Some guys fished the dories every day and caught very little - our little crew worked it out after a couple of days and went very well.

The boat was night crossing - a beauty of a boat - great crew.

Mate I fished many times with the gleesons on thier previous boat the Curtis Ambassador . Was Raymond the skipper. He is the best fish filleter I have ever seen!!!!!!!

Mate I fished many times with the gleesons on thier previous boat the Curtis Ambassador . Was Raymond the skipper. He is the best fish filleter I have ever seen!!!!!!!

Raymond was the skipper, yes. top bloke - starting to miss his family living at sea all the time these days - you think it looks like a great life but hey pos and neg in everything.

He doesnt fillet fish anymore but the deckie, mitch was knocking em over with four strikes of the knife each side, about 30 seconds per fish - amazing stuff.

Great trip - should check out their new boat - it is a beast

• 2 weeks later...

I will go again having had such a great time, I think i will be fishing at least 50 on spinfishers next time, if not 80. It would be nice to see some of the beasts we hooked.

Even with thirty though, i could barely pull drag off the reel, you'd get a fish halfway up and then line would just screem off as it headed to the bottom.

Learnt a few lessons about terminal tackle on hardcore fish.

The spinfishers were great though - over the week they just get so salty but just keep on working and any problems we did have were fixable.

What can you recommend on the lessons you learned on terminal tackle? I'm heading there early next year