Penrith Carp Sesh

nick_clone

Hi All. I've been reading this forum for quite a bit, and the idea of big fish on light gear made me want to have a crack at the carp in the Nepean. I'd only been down to the Nepean once before, for a rowing regatta that a friend was in. My original plan was to fish the Royal National Park, but sleeping in canned that idea so I made a plan B, which was carp at Penrith.

It was such a nice surprise when I walked past the weir and downstream a bit, what a nice and peaceful place it is down there. I didn't walk very far down, and walked onto that island bit just past the bridge. I brought creamed corn for berley and normal corn for bait ( although I think I'll bring bread as well next time) . Another guy enjoying a weekday fish took up a spot across the way from me, on the actual shore. I figured he knew what he was doing and sure enough, he is onto a carp after only a few mins.

Me on the other hand, no luck, but was quite happily getting carp fishing advice from the guy across the water. I finally see a 60cm plus carp getting into the corn I threw out 20 mins before. I figured the best thing to do was watch the fish and try and flick a hook full of corn in front of it. In my rush of excitement at seeing the fish 3 metres away in the water, I managed to get snagged in the tree on my back swing. When I finally got it together, no amount of corn presented right in front of it's nose interested in, it wasn't spooked and was oblivious to me on the bank. I'm thinking my hook could have been smaller, and needed to burley more, and with bread.

Long story short no fish for me, but the other guy got two nice ones, the second one was huge! I love that feeling of seeing a fish and trying to get a bait out asap, I just need to keep calm! A good learning experience, and definitely not a waste of a day, as I also practiced flicking a few new lures that I bought so I could watch how they behaved in the water. How nice was the weather!

For next time:

Gumboots or waders

Smaller hooks

Bread

Clublock on car - some shifty types were hanging around on that island and in the river area

As a side thing I think I'm going to invest in some Spotters, sight casting is fun! (pity I suck at it with no fish!)

Nick.

Too bad that your fishing trip was rather unsuccessful, but from your description it looks like you had lots of fun and gained valuable experience. My father has a secret bait that he makes buy kneading white bread with a bit of olive oil, just enough to make it playable, mixes in corn and creates a blob around the hook, covering it entirely, as there are no sharp bits hanging out, apparently carp have very sensitive gums?? Then he mixes another lot for burley the same way but mixes in a bit of baking soda and creates little blobs the size of a golf ball, apparently when they hit the water the baking soda fizzes and helps distribute the burley better. Try that and see how you go, carp fishing is a good way to introduce yourself to freshwater fishing and progress to nicer species like Redfin, yellow belly, cod etc. :1fishing1:

Try that and see how you go, carp fishing is a good way to introduce yourself to freshwater fishing and progress to nicer species like Redfin, yellow belly, cod etc. :1fishing1:

That's exactly the way I see it, practicing sight casting , working on accuracy etc is all part of it. I think getting some waders would help with getting access to better casting spots too. Either way, it was a nice day off, I think I'll head to Werrington Lake next time and give it a go there, with more advice from this board. I like the idea of the baking soda!

Nick.

Nick,

went down to Wooli Creek for an hour today and hooked into a 20lb'er on 9lb mono, having come back from the uk i learnt a lot about carp fishing and put a bit into practice today.

When the suns up the carp will rise to the surface try flick out a few peices of bread onto the surface first to arouse the carp then freeline a piece of the end crust (it will float longer) onto the water and watch them take it to bait the bread just pass the hook through a 3cm square piece dip it in the water once then cast it out near lily pads is a good place or close the margins of a nearby bank oppisite you. In colder weather try float fishing near the bottom a paste of bread, tastey cheese and marmite, trust me it works!

Any more tips ask.

Cheers Royce. :beersmile: