Tamarama 18/9

dani!o

had a bit of a fish at tamarama for the first time yesterday... was just after low tide, so tide was coming in, casting out with half pilchards, pipis, sandworms... had 20 pound line on the big rod with the pillies, and 8lb miain 12 lb lead on the smaller rod with the worms and pipis...

didnt get more, i thought i had something on only to lose it on the way in... it felt pretty heavy, but when i looked at my bait it was still there (thanks to baitmate) so maybe some fish just had it in its mouth...

my brother did score a tailor though... and thats without gang hooks too, the tailor was about 37cm, swallowed the hook and my brother just managed to get it a meter out of the waves before it chewed through the 20 pound yo zuri leader... lucky that one that tailor tasted so gooooooooood

rest of the night i scored like 3 little rock cod things, didnt even know what they are... boooo was sooo hoping for big salmon....

can i ask thought, how do you guys go about fishing on the beach?? i usually stick my rods there and attach bells and wait for it to ring but im developing super paranoia, always thinking theres a fish as soon as i hear anything... would it be better to hold the rod?? usually doing other stuff like tying hooks or mixing burley or drinking coke and cant really free hands up...

anyway, want to jig for squid tonight!!!! dont want to study dont want to work just want to fish all dayyyyyyyyyyy

You two are certainly working your way through the Eastern Suburbs beaches!

Sounds like you took some of my advice and diversified your bait and rigs - good stuff!! Shame it didn't pay off with more fish.

In answer to your question - I always try to hold the rod. I've tried tying glow-sticks and bells to the rod tip but the bottom line is that you miss bites with these methods. Obviously there are times when you put the rod in the holder to do something else, but overall I would recommend holding it.

BTW - are you still fishing in the middle of the night?

Hi Danilo

At least you got the nice tailor!! Well done.

Like Mondo, I prefer to hold the rods - if you've just stuck them in the sand & you get a whopper (jew, big salmon etc) you could lose your whole setup!!! Or it all falls in the sand & you have a major cleanup job getting all the sand out of the reel! Not only that, you react so much quicker if you are holding it. By the time it has registered that the bell has rung & you get there, the fish has usually stolen your bait!! Gives you something to do, too!

You also get to feel the touches on the line - when your bait hadn't been touched, but you felt the weight, it could even have been a crab!! They feel quite heavy when pulling in, then they let go! That bait mate is great stuff for pillies, eh? I've been using if for about 10 years (started using it when I lived in NZ.)

Have you thought of changing to braid for your main line & just using the mono for the trace? 20lb Tuffline is good. It casts like a dream & you feel every twitch of fish nibbling your bait. WHen on the beach, I often lower the rod tip, almost to horizontal & walk slowly back up the beach. This keeps you in direct contact with the line/hook & when you have a bite, just lift the rod tip sharply upwards & the fish is usually hooked. Great for wary bream & tailor. Also good for whiting when using worms.

Continue with the great fishing!!!

Cheers

Roberta

You two are certainly working your way through the Eastern Suburbs beaches!

Sounds like you took some of my advice and diversified your bait and rigs - good stuff!! Shame it didn't pay off with more fish.

In answer to your question - I always try to hold the rod. I've tried tying glow-sticks and bells to the rod tip but the bottom line is that you miss bites with these methods. Obviously there are times when you put the rod in the holder to do something else, but overall I would recommend holding it.

BTW - are you still fishing in the middle of the night?

hey dude!!! haha yeah, ummmm this is going to sound stupid but having fished i dunno like 5 years in new zealand plus a couple of months here, we HAVNT CAUGHT ANY BREAMMMMMMMMMMM can you believe that?? its like JUST CMONNNNNN ALREADY... so when i heard there were some bream at tamarama, i sprinted there... im always eager to try new places though, who knows might get some beginners luck!!

hmmm you know stupid thing is me and my brother didnt really know what we were doing when we bought our rods and reels... the reason i absolutely hate holding it is added together the bunch is almost 2kg... stupid reel is like solid lead... so yeah... but, because i am still living in a cardboard box i cant afford to buy new stuff... go tax return though!!!

ummm, last night wasnt middle of the night, we went from maybe 8 till 1130... too many things going on i had uni in the morning, work all arvo, and finally get home to have a rest and then fish... come home to eat fish and study till 330, sleep 4 hours and back at uni by 9 haha but ya during weekdays i usually dont go too late... hopefully i can free up the time and catch you on the beach sometime soon mondo!! (times like this im thinking HAVE ANOTHER APEC)

Hi Danilo

At least you got the nice tailor!! Well done.

Like Mondo, I prefer to hold the rods - if you've just stuck them in the sand & you get a whopper (jew, big salmon etc) you could lose your whole setup!!! Or it all falls in the sand & you have a major cleanup job getting all the sand out of the reel! Not only that, you react so much quicker if you are holding it. By the time it has registered that the bell has rung & you get there, the fish has usually stolen your bait!! Gives you something to do, too!

You also get to feel the touches on the line - when your bait hadn't been touched, but you felt the weight, it could even have been a crab!! They feel quite heavy when pulling in, then they let go! That bait mate is great stuff for pillies, eh? I've been using if for about 10 years (started using it when I lived in NZ.)

Have you thought of changing to braid for your main line & just using the mono for the trace? 20lb Tuffline is good. It casts like a dream & you feel every twitch of fish nibbling your bait. WHen on the beach, I often lower the rod tip, almost to horizontal & walk slowly back up the beach. This keeps you in direct contact with the line/hook & when you have a bite, just lift the rod tip sharply upwards & the fish is usually hooked. Great for wary bream & tailor. Also good for whiting when using worms.

Continue with the great fishing!!!

Cheers

Roberta

hey Roberta thanks for that!! ya i think i will buy that telescopic rod ive looked at a few its like im in love again haha should do better than my heavy dumbell i have now...

can i ask though whats the deal with braid?? i havnt turned much attention to it because no tackle shop has recommended it to me... also, if you keep the rod horizontal, can you still feel the bites??

ya i know the cleanup is very annoying... and its only worth it if i get a good fish!!! although i again dont seem to have the tides quite right i should probably stop doing that because sriously other than those rock cod things nothing bites eh...

anyway, ill update once i get out there again!!

if you want bream danilo you really need to concentrate your efforts in the rocky corners of any beaches you fish..ie 5 metres away from the reef and your too far away....my little bit of snorkelling experience have shown me that this is where bream spend most of their time unless of course a particular gutter is turning it on...heavy traces and hooks that are too big don't help..

roberta is right get braid/fused line...

unless you want to do what we do and fish super lightly weighted prawns in washes around beach corners....we use 9 lb mono straight through and regularly catch bream trevally, drummer and the odd blackfish as well as the usual rubbish...

i concentrate my beach fishing efforts on chasin salmon/tailor, or jewies..

ps for bream baits of rocky beach corners id be using mullet fillet scaled with the hook placed once only thru the skin side first so the point is buried in the flesh

bait should be about as big as your thumb to the top of the knuckle with a hook to match

sinker should be very small, but not so small that your bait will not drift to the bottom...

snags are inevitable and mean you are in the right spot...

berley is king...

sorry for the essay lol but i hope some of my insane ramblings might help you knock up a few

Hi Danilo

With Braid - just make sure you use a 'limp' one! Some of them are coated with almost a plastic coating that makes them quite stiff. I have been using Tuffline for some years now (on my blackie rods, too!) & it is a dream!! Just make sure you have mono under it for at least half of your spool & topshot it with 100-150m (one spool) of braid. Put it on under pressure. You get loops if you don't. You will eventually get loops with repeated casts, anyway, but when you cast, make sure the line is not crossing the spool when you flick the bail arm. Every now & then, just cast out a country mile & bring the line back in under pressure (holding it firmly between your fingers!)

Just remember that any tangle is just a series of loops until you tighten it ..... then it becomes a knot!!! If you get a loop when you cast out, try & sort it out before winding back in. You should be able to see which loop goes under the other .... then all should be sweet!

As the line gets used, it can become a bit 'fluffy' - just cut this bit off & put your trace onto it! Never overfill your spool with braid! It will fall off too easily & really knot up!

Flathead Fanatic is right - fish love structure - whether oyster racks or rocks. Go snorkelling & check out where they hang out! Even a tiny bit of pike is a top bait for bream!

Good luck!!

Roberta

• 6 years later...