Camping & Boating Up And Down The Hawksbury

Taylor

Hi

I am from Melbourne and hoping to fish and camp along the Hawksbury in late March 05. I am hoping this will take about a week with 4 days up and and 3 back. Another option is to camp part way along and use it as a base,

Are there any camping grounds, boat ramps, or sections of the river that are good OR are there any poor sections and places to ignore?

I will be in a Webster 4.6 Runabout with a 60HP 4 stroke which holds 60 Litres so a fuel pick up point would be useful also.

All camping equipment will be transported in the boat so my car and trailer will need to be left somewhere secure. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards

C Taylor

:biggrin2:

Fishn,

Here is a good link for quite a few maps. http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/maps.html

I am going through a divorce and now have no one at home that I have to report to. Think I might try sleeping in my boat on the river for a few days at Christmas. Sure would like to know where the decent toilets ( :05: )and maybe some showers are located.

Cheers,

Earl

Glad ya liked the maps... Waterways wants the maps to be un printable....but I figured out a way to overcome that. You can use Adobe to mark on the maps. Send them to me at earl2257@yahoo.com.au along with your return addy and I'll make them printable.

Thanks for the thoughts Ian. Married nearly 20 years....but hell she didn't like fishing and boating anyway. I fish out of Empire Bay and fish everywhere in the area. I have a Quintrex Freedom Sport 5.0. Look for the big bald headed Yank. A taxi driver told me yesterday that he can tell a Yank by the way we look.

cheers,

Earl

hi there dirty earl dont i no the filling the last few weeks  :wife:  :wife:  hope she not looking  :ranting2:  :wife:  :ranting2:  :wife:  ggge mite catch ya soon in the hawkesbury  for a  :1fishing1: even doe me boat at empire bay  mite have a  :beersmile:  :beersmile:  or two  have a good there earl :thumbup:

23560[/snapback]

Hello ankles... I read where you were in Empire Bay. What is your boat? I'm in the fishing club there. You know any of the guys there? Know Ferg, the guy working the oyster leases that looks like Santa?

Cheers,

Earl

Has anyone got a map of the Hawkesbury on there computer?? if so can they post it here or email it to me at cgbenge@optusnet.com.au thanks in advance...

Taylor

If i can get hold of a map i will mark out some nice camping spot, if i cant get a map i will try and explain where the spots are and what there called...

Just out of curriosity will you be travelling souly or with a chick or kids or mates or whatever??? and is a toilet of somesort neccesary??

23320[/snapback]

Thanks to those that have replied.

I have replied directly to FISHN with these comments:

There are two adults travelling, thanks, and if necessary we can sleep on the floor of the boat (I have done this on land only so far). We have a porta potti on board if required, and have all necessary lights for being on the water at night. We have an overnight, quick to erect tent if on land.

I have the website for the NSW Waterways which have some great maps. Any camping spots you can recommend would be appreciated.

And if there is any other info you can pass on, I am happy to hear.

Thanks

C Taylor

Hi Claire, :biggrin2:

I don't really have anymore useful info than posted here but wanted to introduce myself!!

I'm Geoff Allen's fishing buddy David. He tells me all about your travels, fishing trips and your boat. He relayed the story to me about the comp you entered up north and can I say I'm dead jealous. Sounded like a fantastic trip. :thumbup::thumbup:

Anyway, I won't hijack your post (too much), just wanted to say hi!! :thumbup:

Cheers

David.

Hi Claire, :biggrin2:

I don't really have anymore useful info than posted here but wanted to introduce myself!!

I'm Geoff Allen's fishing buddy David. He tells me all about your travels, fishing trips and your boat. He relayed the story to me about the comp you entered up north and can I say I'm dead jealous. Sounded like a fantastic trip. :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Anyway, I won't hijack your post (too much), just wanted to say hi!! :thumbup:

Cheers

David.

24081[/snapback]

David

Thanks for introducing yourself. Geoff has spoken of you many times and your adventures together. Yes the trip to Darwin was just great, and something I would love to repeat next year, but I wait to see if thats possible. Unfortunately the $s come into it and as you would appreciate we are involved in a sport that is not inexpensive, but well worth it. I must say the 2 main highlights for me were being at Corroboree Billabong before daylight, and racing across the water to get to a set spot for "lines in" at 6.30AM. The other top one was fishing at night from the bank at Shady Camp and catching my first Barra. Ah, so sweet were those times.

I must admit I am jealous of some of the places that you and Geoff go to, especially around Pt Stephens and Port Hacking. Going out to the islands with an experienced skipper at the helm must make you feel that you can tackle any spot you so desire. Lucky things.

Anyway thanks for the posting.

PS I have enjoyed the reports I have read that you have posted on fishing websites.

Say Hi to Geoff for me.

Regards

Claire

heya taylor

Brisbane waters is beautiful only been in there once its a bit of a bitch to get into and i dont know of any camp grounds in there so maybe someone else can help out there??

Be sure to check out the Cowan sytem it is beautiful, unspoilt and holds a few fish, but there is no where to camp in there...if its a low tide and you feel like stretching ya legs, or sitting on a beach to relax, pull up at cottage rock beach (its a low tide beach) drink from the fresh water that trickles over the rock side and relax, one of my favourite beaches...

Also check out Pittwater, you drive around there looking at all the top notch cruisers wondering if there is really that many drug dealers in the world!!! The Basin is in pittwater and is a really great beach and camp ground it is $10 a night, they have flush toilets, cold showers, free gas BBQ, ice and bait at certain times of the day...This camp ground is great especially for families but it does get overly packed...

Just around from Juno Point is a beach called Croppy Beach, there is a dirt road behind it and if you look along that road there is a brown wooden shithouse that consists of a seat over a hole in the ground you can also camp on the beach, altho its not marked on any maps...this place is nice and calm altho i have heard stories off old timers telling me that waves break there in extreme swells but ive never seen it, and i think they could be pulling my leg cause its a pretty protected beach, also close to Pittwater, Cowan, Brisbane Waters and the deep blue sea...and right across from Brooklyn marina...

On the south western side across from Bar Island is two beaches, Both these beaches ive camped on since i was 5, no toilet here but a totally pristine enviroment (provided the spastic that camped here before you took there rubish) its shallow water in there at low tide so trim up if you heading in there at low, watch ya food as goanna's will eat it at daytime and possums will eat it at night time...Quite often you get other campers on these two beaches but there is enough room for quite a few people,  great little out of the way spot and deadset a beautiful place to enjoy a beer...this is my favourite place to camp on the hawkesbury...10/15 minute run to either Berowra Marina or Brooklyn Marina

Berowra Creek hasnt got any camping grounds and all beaches are signposted Except One which is in Bennets Bay, No toilet, only enough room for a small to medium tent, nice quite place also full of blue swimmers (Keep it to yourself tho)

Gentlemans Halt Has a Hole in the ground toilet this is also a nice spot, it has a great wharf but you have to camp too far away from your boat for my likings, there is a cut in the mangroves just downstream from the wharf if i camp here i moore the boat there and camp at the top of the bank so i can see the boat at all time, Spencer is just across the water as is mangrove creek which is a top creek with great fishing but gives you the shits at it being a four knot run...

From spencer to windsor is only about 2 hours max, there are shitloads of caravan parks along the way so if you decided to camp up that way they would be your best shot, plenty of nice creeks to run off which hold fish..

There are plenty more camping places around the lower hawkesbury but im drunk and tired and cant find my map so if you need more let me know...

All these places are great for me but everyone has a different opinion so my advice to you is "if you find a beach that you want to camp on and there is no sign post saying no camping then go for it" if anyone pulls you up play dumb tell them it isnt sign posted and move on...

also take a shovel save using the porta potti when camping...

ive been camping on the hawkesbury for about 20 years and in this time ive never had any camping gear stolen, so dont be scared to leave your tent erect and bugger  off for a few hours, i wouldnt leave valuables lieing around tho...

Pick of ramps for me is Apple Tree Bay you do have to pay to enter the natoinal park but its by far one of the best ramps!...

hope i havnt babbled on to much and hope this helps if not let me know and i'll dig up somemore...

23781[/snapback]

fishn

No you havent babbled on too much.

All the info is very useful.

Regards

C Taylor