Live Baiting From The Rocks For Hodlums ........ Or Rats

sanger

Hey guys,

Now first the question that you will probably all laugh at me for but how do you guys go about catching yakka's/slimies etc of the rocks???? Same as you do from a boat? does anyone still use bait jigs?????

The reason i ask is im heading down to gerroa on the weekend and i want to target some kings that i have been told by the tackle shop are definately around black head point where i always fish from.... so far kingless, although i do mainly just spin with slugs and flick soft plastics. I was going to give balloning a go with some live yakas as the weather looks like it will be perfect for it. Anyone got any tips for this kinda fishing??????

Has anyone had a crack at spinning gars like ive seen in a few recent articles in fishing mags?????

Cheers

i would forget the balloon and just use a bobby float.... i cut my jigs in half so i get 2 with three hooks, look for shallower section of reef or wash or if else fail someone will usually help you out with a spot ...if i get there too late for livies i spin small plastics in the wash and can usually get a pike every 20 minutes or so

slimies or squid would be the ultimate bait......

one of my good mates has spun gars for years .... he is spewin about that article lol

gl man hookin em is 1/10 of the battle

cheers

ian

i would forget the balloon and just use a bobby float.... i cut my jigs in half so i get 2 with three hooks, look for shallower section of reef or wash or if else fail someone will usually help you out with a spot ...if i get there too late for livies i spin small plastics in the wash and can usually get a pike every 20 minutes or so

slimies or squid would be the ultimate bait......

one of my good mates has spun gars for years .... he is spewin about that article lol

gl man hookin em is 1/10 of the battle

cheers

ian

Hey mate, thanks for the tips.... as for the ballooning i meant once i get the yakkas or slimies i would use them on a balloon. I had never thought to use a baitjig with a float before though, might have to give it a go!!!!

[try using a berley float with bait jigs 6 to 8ft under easy to cast and it works well on yakkas and slimeys

peter :1fishing1:

Thanks for the tip pete!

Hope you got the right gear for spinning gars mate cause its back breaking work!

As for your live baits, just burley up with bread and mashed pillies and you should be able to score a few. Just make sure you get there real early...

Cheers

Hey mate what would you suggest????

Any tips on spinning gars?

Like all spinning mate it can be taxing on the back and arms after a while but even more so cause your gear will need to be heavy enough to muscle em out before they bust you off. so unless you're geared up with a nice n light graphite/carbon rod you'll be putting your rod down before the sun clears the horizon! But you'll know soon enough if you're onto one... like Ian says, hookin em up is only 1/10 of the battle!

i'd try live baiting first. If the kings are there, they will most definitely smash any live bait you float out there.

Hey Fishlexic,

I also think you should use a normal float with the live bait as well. A balloon won't let you know when the livie is being chased. With a normal float you will see it start to do some runs and the float will go down a bit when being stalked by a bigger fish. A good indication to get ready.

As for catching live bait, agreed, early morning works best, I use a single small hook on a light rod and just burley up with a bit of bread or mashed pillie. Not too much though as you want them competing for each bait that comes down and then they hit harder and hook better.

Good hunting.

Sunnyboy..

[ballooning at blackhead in a nth westerly would be good to get your livey out a long way

good luck on the kings :thumbup:

if the kings dont show check out the blue hole just north of blackhead

take 2loaves of bread berley with crusts the middle as bait pea size ball sinker 2/0 hook

good spot for drummer

also hooked a lot of groper half way between beach [gerroa] and blackhead but never landed them too big

even on 30lb tortue and big alvey plenty of crabs there for bait for them

heaps of salmon on point so watch your liveys :1yikes:

[ballooning at blackhead in a nth westerly would be good to get your livey out a long way

good luck on the kings :thumbup:

if the kings dont show check out the blue hole just north of blackhead

take 2loaves of bread berley with crusts the middle as bait pea size ball sinker 2/0 hook

good spot for drummer

also hooked a lot of groper half way between beach [gerroa] and blackhead but never landed them too big

even on 30lb tortue and big alvey plenty of crabs there for bait for them

heaps of salmon on point so watch your liveys :1yikes:

yeah have seen a few people balooning of blackhead before but never stuck around long enough to see any results... I thought the balooning should work pretty well considering the wind conditions, Thats why i was leaning towards that rather than a float guys. Have caught heaps of salmon off there before, they are great fun.... there is a guy who comes down and uses fly's and brains them, its realy cool to watch!!!!

Ive fished about half way out as well but never caught much except rock cod and other undesirables..... you ever fished the beach????