Pittwater 23/9/07

sanger

Hey guys,

had been talking to a mate of mine that had some luck in pittwater for kings 2 weekends ago so we decided to give it a bash on sunday. The plan was to meet down at the boat ramp at 5 go catch some live squid and see what damage we could do to a few of the local pitwatter kings........ Only thing is someone forgot to tell the boat that. We launched the boat and parked the car and trailer and then walked down to the warf expecting to see my mate waiting to pick me up but judging by the cursing going on from towards the ramp i knew this wasn't going to be the ideal start.

Bugger it, got the boat back on the trailer and dropped it back home but we were way to keen to not go fishing now so we thought we would go and hire a tinnie up at palmy to help get a fix. So finally got on the water about 9am after many swear words and alot of driving. We had some fresh squid so we decided not to chase any live stuff cause at about $80 for 4 hours we just wanted to fish!

We were getting our strips demolished by pickers until i struck and came up firm..... not hard but firm..... When i got the bugger to the surfcae it was a dam leather boot!!!!!!! They are freaking everywhere at the moment!!!! We also got one trevally while sitting there and where just about to pull the pin and head back with our tails between our legs and beaten when this litle 66cm gem latched on. After a short fight that included a near miss round a mouring and some tangled lines being cut free my mate had first legal size (just) king on board for the season...... We probably would have let him go normally but after what we went through he was destined for dinner!!!!!!!

Hope everyone gets into a few on the weekend guys/girls

:1fishing1: Tight lines

post-4037-1190957740_thumb.jpg

Edited by fishlexic

Hey Fishlexic,

Nice solid looking kingy there mate.

I,ll bet it tasted good. Last weekend i watched the last ten minutes of a kingfish fishing trip in NZ on discovery channel.

Mate the kingies were huge and were catching them by a volcano.

No word of a lie when i say that after 5 minutes of watching this show i could smell kingfish and my mouth was friggen watering.

Cant wait for them to really come on and get amongst them.

PS the idiot who crashed into my car is now saying its my fault.

I,ll bet it tasted good. Last weekend i watched the last ten minutes of a kingfish fishing trip in NZ on discovery channel.

Spewing on both counts the car and that i didnt see that docco!!!!

More so for you with the car though..... That kinda stuff is a nightmare!!!!

Goodluck!

Hey Fishlexic,

Nice solid looking kingy there mate.

Mate the kingies were huge and were catching them by a volcano.

No word of a lie when i say that after 5 minutes of watching this show i could smell kingfish and my mouth was friggen watering.

Cant wait for them to really come on and get amongst them.

ditto on the kingies....ditto on the idiot. I wonder if it was the same one???

Edited by kbark

Nice Report,

Talk about persistence you guys deserve a medal. RayR and I would love to slip over to Pittwater for some Kingy Action this summer. Do you use any particular rig to catch them or tactic, I have seen the downrig setup but I as I don't have one it would be good to know how you do it. Any info would be great.

Regards, Hutcho

Nice Report,

Talk about persistence you guys deserve a medal. RayR and I would love to slip over to Pittwater for some Kingy Action this summer. Do you use any particular rig to catch them or tactic, I have seen the downrig setup but I as I don't have one it would be good to know how you do it. Any info would be great.

Regards, Hutcho

Hey hutcho,

The rig we got that king on is about as simple as it gets, braid straight to about a 1.5 meter mono trace, Not sure if it was flurocarbon or not cause it wasnt my rig, then straight down to a 5/0 livebait hook (or something very similar). No weight just drifted down close to a mouring on a single (here's the important part) FRESH squid strip! It wasnt caught that day but it was only a few days old and had been snap frozen in an air tight bag same as most people on fishraider suggest.

But if you can get it live squid is better.... but if you only manage one or two (like me usually) and you start getting low cut it up into strips, they often work just as good. When using live squid i use a rig that i purchase from a local shop (not one of our sponsers so pm me if you want the name). It consists of only a small lenght of leader roughly 1 meter, Im sure its only this short for convenience of selling in small packets, Then down to a live bait hook, 6/0 i think which is snelled with a small tube on the shank of the hook then down to a treble. The small tube is to make the length between the treble and single hook adjustable so depending on the size of the squid you can lengthen or shorten the rig.

As far as where to catch the bait from, west head seems to be the best place to get yakkas/slimies and some people get squid there to. you can get squid most places where there is weed rocks and small patches of sand so that can be almost anywhere in pittwater. The best advice that i can give you though is i am certainly no guru on the subject and am still learning everytime i got out myslef, so go do a charter as thats when you will learn the most.... I did one with a few mates in pitwatter with one of the operators ( once again pm for details) and didnt catch a single fish except for one sampson but it was still money well spent as those guys fish it nearly every day so they know the spots like the back of their hand!!!!

Where to fish???? thats the question that we are still figuring out but go round the boat mourings and find the structure and the fish will come!!!! Downrigging seems to be the way to go in pitwatter though as you can travel from place to place through the boats and search for the fish rather than waiting for them to come to you!!!! Barenjoey headland seems to produce for some as well but ive never had much luck out there, but then again i probably havent spent enough time out there either!!!!!

Hope that helps!!!!!