Quintrex 490 Reedom Sport (bowrider)

locodave

Hey guys, have a question.

Saw a Quintrex 490 today, it had a plate (attached) saying Basic flotation 7 Adults, and Buoyancy Level 5 adults. So does that mean I can have 7 adults on that boat?

If so, why does the 489 Stacer only allow 5 people max?

http://www.stacer.com.au/view_boat.aspx?stockc=SB489ER

Or does it have a flotation rule too?

And the plate

post-2301-1191136912_thumb.jpg

Hey guys, have a question.

Saw a Quintrex 490 today, it had a plate (attached) saying Basic flotation 7 Adults, and Buoyancy Level 5 adults. So does that mean I can have 7 adults on that boat?

If so, why does the 489 Stacer only allow 5 people max?

http://www.stacer.com.au/view_boat.aspx?stockc=SB489ER

Or does it have a flotation rule too?

And the plate

In answer to your first question (I'm sure Huey will correct me if I'm wrong), the Quinny has level flotation, which means it will float the correct way up even if swamped with up to five people on board. It can take up to seven people, but is only rated for basic flotation with this many, (which means it may invert).

As for questions 2 & 3.....HELP HUEY!!! :1prop:

Gidday Locodave,

(Sorry guys have edited this post, had the missus at me at the time to go out, so the cut & paste & explanation was a shocker, hit the post button before I realised it.)

I have an older 4.85 Stacer bowrider and its only rated for 5 so I could not see either rated at more than 5 as they have not varied that much from my last check.

The new plates are supposed to meet new requirments for Australian Builders Plate for Recreational Boats (ABP) - See this site for more detail http://www.safeboating.org.au/Builders_Pla...explanation.asp

Buoyancy for Vessels Less than Six Metres

Level Flotation – means that the boat will continue to float in a level position if swamped and will be prevented from capsizing in calm water. This will allow you to remain in the boat and bail the vessel to remove the water.

Basic Flotation – means that the boat will float in some form if swamped. If the boat has capsized, it will remain afloat for you to possibly cling to the upturned hull.

Buoyancy

For boats less than 6 metres in length there will be a buoyancy statement. Up until 1 July 2006, the terms used may be either ‘level flotation', ‘basic flotation' or ‘inadequate flotation'. After 1 July 2006, the term ‘inadequate flotation' will no longer be allowed to be used*

On older boats, if you check the plate, you will the rating is based on 5 people at 75kg each (total 375kg) based on good conditions. However, if you are 100kg like me and you carry 4 others the same size, technically your not legal with 5 onboard (500kg).

Hope this helps.

Steve

Edited by copafisher

Gidday Locodave,

I have an older 4.85 Stacer bowrider and its only rated for 5. I could not see either rated at more than 5.

Another catch is thats 5 people at 75kg each (375kg) for good conditions.

The Waterways Boating Handbook indicates the basic details, including an additional allowance of 15kg per person for personal gear. The following was also applicable (my book is the 2003/04 version), children up to 1yr are not counted, between 1-12 equals half adult.

If you are 100kg like me and you carry 4 others the same size, technically your not legal with 5 onboard (500kg).

Found this at http://www.nmsc.gov.au/documents/ABP_Recom...sTechRefDoc.pdf

ABYC uses a person capacity of 62.5 kg per person for calculating maximum number of persons whereas the AS 1799 uses 75 kg per person. The reference group considered this statement to be incorrect. The ABYC uses 62.4 as a multiplying factor as part of a set formula and is not in kilograms, but part of a sequential equation to achieve a total capacity figure. See ABYC H –5.7/04

From ABYC H5 7/04 step number 4— person capacity =maximum weight capacity (includes motor ect)+32

divided by 141. Then rounded to the next whole number. Also person capacity can be found in ABYC calculations under (n) section H28 7/04 section 28.9.2 and is stated as 165 pounds or 75kg.

It appears to be related to the use of AS 1799 or ISO (Australian vs International) standards for the plate. They appear to use different calculation methods & adult weights.

Hope this helps.

Steve

:1prop::wacko: You lost me after "G'day Locodave"! :074:

http://www.quintrex.com.au/BoatRange/BM49F...eedomSport.aspx

If you look at the specs on the right, it says:

Number of People (Basic): 7

Max Load (Basic): 833kg

Number of People (Level): 5

Max Load (Level): 653 kg

So im assuming taking 7 adults and having basic floatation should be fine right ?

I would think having 7 people on a 4.9m bowrider to be ridicules. We have a 5m and 2 adults & 3 small children is more than enough. What do you do if conditions go to shit and everybody needs/wants to be behind the screen?

Hi Dave, the Stacer 489 Easyrider is rated to 5 people with LEVEL floatation and 6 people with basic floatation. What this means is that the boat has enough foam to float level with 5 adults but you are able to legally take out 6 people. I am surprised to see the Quintrex rated to 7 people and as mentioned I think it would be dangerous with that many people. I would personally still prefer the Stacer due to the better ride of the EVO hull, the fact that it has 2.5mm sides, it comes STD with bimini and envelope and I do not like the Quintrex rear lounge, which is more like rear 1/4 seats.

Both are good boats and you should price up both and go for a run to see which you like better.

Cheers,

Huey.