Learning To Tow And Launch

locodave

I've had a boat before, but never did the towing or the launching.

Do you think by purchasing a new 4.90m boat, might be a bit difficult at first?

Should I opt for a smaller boat first until I learn all the ropes to boating first and then upgrade?

Should I opt for a smaller boat first until I learn all the ropes to boating first and then upgrade?

Mate it all comes down to being smart and think ahead, towing wont be a problem if you remember that you have more than doubled your car length when changing lanes or turning corners, dont get distracted and keep your mind on the job, if reversing is an issue run down to your local Bunnings after closing one night and practice reversing into the alotted bays, get it right before you try a ramp, with the launch and retrieve pick a ramp to practice on first preferably with a sand bank to beach boat while you park car, pick a light winded day as winds can give even the experienced guys a problem, also pick a time of day (weekday arvo) when the ramp you decide to go to isnt busy so the extra time you may take at ramp aint going to bother the next guy in line and trying to rush it cause there is a line up isnt going to help the situation, practice makes perfect and slow and easy always wins the race with this game, The 4.9m aint going to be a problem if you are smart and keep your mind on job. Cheers Dave.

Edited by offtap1

Good to hear you will be out and about. Great advice above from Offtap.

Just a small reminder...

1. When you are backing the trailer without the boat it may be hard to see (trailer is a lot lower, depending visiblitiy out of your car) some people put a 'broomstick' on each side at the rear of the trailer. After backing horse trailers without any problems for years I found it a challenge to see the boat trailer. (I am a shortie)

2. Remember to secure your trailer from theives. We have a coupling lock, chain on each wheel and never leave the spare tyre unless padlocked.

I know they can still cut chains and locks but the harder you make if for them, the more chance your trailer will still be there when you get back.

Good Luck.

A condition of our insurance policy is that we have a coupling lock at all times. Even at home we padlock the wheels and when we know it won't be used for a while it is in our lockup garage.

There is alway the two of us so we don't have to leave the boat alone.

If other boater's are retrieving boats and you're alone, you could ask one to keep their eye on your boat while you get your car. Most places we go to you can see your boat from where you park.

Never leave your tackle or sounder in the unattended boat as we have friends who have had them stolen overnight when staying in caravan parks.

There are alarms made for boats if you want to go that way.

Good luck...great fishing.

All of the advice above is gold , here are a couple of other things I have picked up over the years .

YOU WILL MAKE MISTAKES !!! Daves advice about finding a large area without things to run into ( or spectators to see you jacknife) is spot on . Take it slowly. Very slowly. If the trailer goes more than 45 degrees from centre , stop , pull forward and try again. You wont recover in a confined space , just pull her straight , and start again. It may take you 7 goes the first time to get it where you want it to go , but persevere.

If , after a while , it still isnt coming together , dont try to do it faster , that will only make it worse . Stop , take a few deep breaths , and think about what you want the trailer to do .

Remember when towing , your normal braking and acceleration times will be very different. Allow at least another 2 car lengths between yourself and the vehicle you are following.

If you would like some one on one tuition , and dont live in the next state , I would be happy to give you some help. I have over 20 years experience in semis , and have made the same mistakes you will make . PM me if interested. This offer applies to any Raider who needs help with towing or reversing !!

Ross

on the subject of security

how do you keep your boat secure at home? if i do decide to get a boat it'll have to be parked on the street

you need to lock the tow ball hitch area and a wheel clamp will also help. I have seen trailers chained to a tree

but in all reality if they want it they will take it. Also remove your prop it sounds dumb but there was a member who had his prop stolen whilst boat was parked outside.

all great advice so far Dave

Congrats locodave on the impending purchase

Backing trailer

if i am by myself i try and choose a ramp that is easy to launch from.

this may be a sandy beach to pull the boat up on

90% most other boaties will give you a hand if asked

when you pull up to back it in try and get your car as square as possible

as it will help to get a nice straight run back into the water.

don,t forget about the front corners of your car

whilst you are reversing sometimes you will only be focussed on the trailer.

as others have said go slow

when your retrieving it a rope to the back transom bollard on the side the wind is can help you pull the boat around when your putting it onto the trailer.

a plank to walk down the trailer can also help but not necessary

Edited by johnno

Just my 2 bobs' worth:get the best winch you can afford and buy a spare handle for it.Have a decent length of rope for the rear of the boat(I have one rigged on each side ready for use as necessary to save mucking around);it makes loading easier by letting you control the back of the boat in wind,current etc while starting to winch on.I also use a coupling lock and one of those yellow wheel clamps at home and at the ramp-they only take seconds to fit,and there are some real bastards around so it's well worth it.Having said that,there are always plenty of good people at ramps only too happy to give you a hand,so don't be afraid to ask if you need help. HTH,

Dave.

actually the bigger and longer the trailer the easier it is to reverse. because you have more time for correction when backing up

a 4.9m boat is heaps easier than a 2m box trailer to back up.

my advise is to use quality ramps and to take someone with you to begin with.

also if you have a 4x4 open up the back hatch when backing up (especially without the boat) you can see allot more

Edited by CaineS

Just out of interest, what sort of boat are you getting Locodave?

Thanks everyone for their wise words of wisdom and encouragement :)

At the moment, I'm still not 100% sure, but I was looking at a 469/89 Stacer Easy Rider or the Quintrex 490 Freedom Sport.

Don't know yet if I'm going to spend that much yet though! Depends as I have a passion for cars too :P

I want to much, not enough dough $$$ :biggrin2:

Hi Mate,

Lots of good advice so far.

A few points I would make are..

You need to be able to see your trailer wheels at all times, knock your side mirrors out a bit so that you can see the wheels and the lane next to you at all times.

When reverseing with the trailer forget about your rear vision mirror it is useless, you need to know where the trailer wheels are. The boat is usaully above that :)

When looking into your side mirrors you have a straight line (your car) to reference the trailer to... if you can see one trailer wheel and not the other you are off track..

As has been said .... Slow and easy wins every time.

Cheers,

Robbie.

Hi Mate,

Lots of good advice so far.

A few points I would make are..

You need to be able to see your trailer wheels at all times, knock your side mirrors out a bit so that you can see the wheels and the lane next to you at all times.

When reverseing with the trailer forget about your rear vision mirror it is useless, you need to know where the trailer wheels are. The boat is usaully above that :)

When looking into your side mirrors you have a straight line (your car) to reference the trailer to... if you can see one trailer wheel and not the other you are off track..

As has been said .... Slow and easy wins every time.

Cheers,

Robbie.

Just to add to what Robbie says, if you can see more trailer in one mirror than the other, you need to turn the steering wheel in that direction to correct it, e.g. if there is more trailer in the right hand mirror, turning the wheel to the right should correct this. :thumbup: