Outboard Engine Issues

Benums

Hi all,

I decided to take a run up the river on sunday morning cause hadn't been out in a while. Anyway after about 15 minute boat ride at about 2/3 throttle my nearly new Johnson 15hp outboard decided to get hot. I let it cool donw and dropped a line. I started it back up to move during the drift and it would not idle. Kept fishing for a while and when I decided to move spots the motor just died about 5 minutes later and a bit of steam coming out of the engine cover. Obviously it was hot.

Got the boat back to the ramp and pulled teh cover off the engine and the head had changed colour and the spark plugs were melted.

Any ideas?

I put 400ml of oil in a 20l tank??

Motor did have water coming out the back of it so was being cooled.

Motor would maybe have 20 hours on it max.

Someone help !!!

Cheers

Ben

For the head to change colour and plugs to melt you definately had some major over heating issue, lack of oil would not cause this to happen, you may have picked up a plastic bag for a short time while travelling, then it has dropped off when you slowed motor, making tell tail still visible after damage was done, how did you know motor over heated while you were travelling , is there a audible alarm or did motor slow dramaticaly.

For the head to change colour and plugs to melt you definately had some major over heating issue, lack of oil would not cause this to happen, you may have picked up a plastic bag for a short time while travelling, then it has dropped off when you slowed motor, making tell tail still visible after damage was done, how did you know motor over heated while you were travelling , is there a audible alarm or did motor slow dramaticaly.

The motor did slow dramatically so I killed it and there was steam smoke/steam coming out of the top cover. I pulled it out of the water to check for a bag or something around the prop but was ok.

The motor hadn't been used since march. could it have been a blocked thermostat?

HI Benums, it does not sound good, I think you have had a major overheat and hopefully you have not damaged the bores and are now down on compression. What I would do is make sure the bores have not been scuffed before removing the gearbox and seeing what the cause was. If you have a compression gauge check the compression of the two cylinders and they want to be nice and even and around 100 PSI. If one is down remove the cylinder head and inspect.

If you do not feel confident swing by with it and we can give a check over and within 1/2 of work see what has happened and what needs to be doen to fix it, so all in all it would not cost you much to do this.

Please ask if you ahev any question,

Cheers,

Huey.

• 2 weeks later...

HI Benums, it does not sound good, I think you have had a major overheat and hopefully you have not damaged the bores and are now down on compression. What I would do is make sure the bores have not been scuffed before removing the gearbox and seeing what the cause was. If you have a compression gauge check the compression of the two cylinders and they want to be nice and even and around 100 PSI. If one is down remove the cylinder head and inspect.

If you do not feel confident swing by with it and we can give a check over and within 1/2 of work see what has happened and what needs to be doen to fix it, so all in all it would not cost you much to do this.

Please ask if you ahev any question,

Cheers,

Huey.

Thanks Huey,

My dad actually took the motor back to #### marine as that is who we bought it off. They didn't even take the motor out of the boot of the car, they just said its cooked and here is a quote $2500 for a new one. They said it would cost $3k to rebuild. It was a month and a half out of warranty.

So I spoke to a friend who knew a guy at #### marine. So I rang Steve down there and he said drop it off. While we were waiting he took it out back and pulled the thermostat out and it was full of weed & sand. The motor had overheated because of this. He said not an issue and he will get it fixed. I said go ahead and do whatever you need to do.

Next day I got a call from Steve and he said the motor is ready to be picked up. I said what did you do to it. He replaced the head gasket and gave me a bill for just under $200.

Steve is a legend and I cant recommend him highly enough.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts.

Benums

P.S: cant wait to hit the water again....

Steve is a legend and I cant recommend him highly enough.

agree with you there. steve and the boys are a top bunch. no b/s, no mucking around and always willing to go the extra step. the only thing dodgy abt them is the shack they operate out of.