Trolling Motors

brendong

Hi Raiders,

I'm looking into buying an electric trolling motor for my 3.95m Alley Craft tinny. Saltwater use 100% of the time. I think I'll only need the 44lb given the size and probably shoot for a bow mounted. Although walking through one of the big department stores that also has a crack at selling fishing gear, I noticed a 44lb Watersnake (Javis Walker) transom mounted unit for $369.

Any one care to review and tell me what the difference might be between brands, bow and rear mounts etc?

Tackle sponsors - feel free to PM with your prices also if you like, I'm down in 'Gods Country' but have been known to travel to sniff out a bargain....

Hi mate. I cant tell you too much about other brands but I can tell you about my Minn Kota 55Lb bowmount.

I use it on a 4.8m tinny and it does the job ok for positioning the boat, but sometimes more power would be nice, especially when its a bit breezy or choppy. I cant troll lures with it. Its too slow for that even on full power.

I reckon bow mount is the way to go. You get much better boat control when the motor is pulling the boat rather than pushing from the back. You dont have any foot control on the transom mount so its all by hand, which is hard when your fishing and have a rod in your hand. Also, I dont think you cant get electric powerdrives in transom mount, or remote control which I cant live without hehe.

So in your case the ideal set up would be a 55Lb electric bow mount. Or on the cheap you could get away with the 44Lb transom but it wont be as good.

One more thing. Ive been using the freshwater version 100% in saltwater for about 4 years now and its been fine. No corosion either.`

Hi mate. I cant tell you too much about other brands but I can tell you about my Minn Kota 55Lb bowmount.

I use it on a 4.8m tinny and it does the job ok for positioning the boat, but sometimes more power would be nice, especially when its a bit breezy or choppy. I cant troll lures with it. Its too slow for that even on full power.

I reckon bow mount is the way to go. You get much better boat control when the motor is pulling the boat rather than pushing from the back. You dont have any foot control on the transom mount so its all by hand, which is hard when your fishing and have a rod in your hand. Also, I dont think you cant get electric powerdrives in transom mount, or remote control which I cant live without hehe.

So in your case the ideal set up would be a 55Lb electric bow mount. Or on the cheap you could get away with the 44Lb transom but it wont be as good.

One more thing. Ive been using the freshwater version 100% in saltwater for about 4 years now and its been fine. No corosion either.`

Thanks for the info Roylo, I don't think I'd use it trolling either only for positioning when throwing plastics etc.

What size and type of battery are you useing and how many hours do you get out of it?

Im using 100amp/h Trojan deep cycle battery. I cant tell you how long a full battery lasts because I charge it straight after every time I use it. Its not good to leave a battery under full for long.

Although I can tell you Ive used it all day and it still reads 1/2 or more.