A Question For Jew Gaffer!

sanger

Hey guys this is one for everyone not just jew gaffer.....

Im just trying to put into practice some of the wisdom that jew gaffer has emparted on us all in regards to picking the bite time but am wanting to know if i missed the point or got it spot on. Ok the question is tomorrow is looking pretty damn windy but its our only option to get the boat out for the weekend as my mate is working sunday and he owns the boat. I was thinking about your posts jewgaffer and was wondering if you think tomorrow lunch time the fish might be on the chew????? Now we are going out regardless but just wanted to know if i am barking up the right tree.

My reasoning behind this is that the winds will be pretty strong from the nw in the morning, then turning into a southerly change in the early afternoon and to go with that the barometer will probably have a distinct fall before the change. Now my thoughts on that would be that as per one of jew gaffers posts that i read earlier in the year that the fish may try and feed up in the calm before the bad/worse weather comes through????

The only other though i had was that the tides arent really playing along with this change as low is probably to early at 1030am and high is to late at 530pm and im not going to bring the moon into this either cause its way off. So jew gaffer / or other knowledgeable raiders out there do you have any thoughts on the matter??????

Tight lines :1fishing1:

post-4037-1191536614_thumb.png

Edited by fishlexic

Hey fishlexic

Remember how hot and sticky it was on Wednesday? Days like that where it turns into a storm in the afternoon I've found to be really productive in estuaries.

So the weather report should say something like: "hot and humid today with a late southerly change" - and I'm racing to get out there...

Just my experience though

I hope you get some good fish tomorrow..

Jimmy

Seabreeze just revised the winds for tomorrow...Looks even better now. :thumbup:

Woohoo!! Off chasing snapper with Coollamon on Fishfinder Tony's charter.

Bring it on...been a loooooong time waiting for this trip.

Cheers,

Pete.

Seabreeze just revised the winds for tomorrow...Looks even better now. :thumbup:

Woohoo!! Off chasing snapper with Coollamon on Fishfinder Tony's charter.

Bring it on...been a loooooong time waiting for this trip.

Cheers,

Pete.

Yeah ive been watching see breeze today, just hope huey actually reads seabreeze to set his weather!!!! Good luck out there guys!

Hi Fishlexic

I really enjoy this sort of question. First of all, think of polar bear hibernation. With fish think of binge feeding, quick food stock up. mini hibernation and with Bass almost complete hibernation and no food for a couple of months or longer!

Having lines out on the water, just before or at the start of a change is an underestimated part of the timing and a very important one........True the tides for what you want to do on Saturday morning are topsy turvey and the change may be early or late...... We do know that it will change and be much cooler by Sunday, a factor that can actually improve summer fishing but can make winter fishing worse.

You need to determine when to fish in the productive times, for what species you are targetting and when you learn to line up **The Factors**, you should go out to fish whatever the weather,,,,, be it rain, storms, wind, or even a powerfull southerly buster - only before, and during the beginning and not in the ongoing, they will shut down and the critters come out. However deep sea fishing can liven up when the boats run for cover.

You should leave the nice weather in non productive conditions for boating, water fun and family picnics.

When anchored let the kids use live bait or squid jigs in rod holders to have a bait supply for next time.... A little bit of will power here...... When you work out the non productive conditions, leave your own gear at home and just let the wife and the kids enjoy themselves.....

Tonight from 5pm onwards till day break it looks to me at this point, Little Jewgaffer and I will be fishing landbased on the opposite side of Lugarno at Menai, rather than the Hacking.

New member Cungee George a diver from Illawong has just had a knee op. and will be bringing some coffee and milkshakes down.

Anyone else going to fish down there, come over to near the old ferry route and have a chat, and Cungee George is a likeable and friendly Greek bloke and will tell you a little about Optopus Gardens and how he targets and catches our octopus bait.

I will cover **The Factors** once and for all in another topic.

Thanks.

jewgaffer :1fishing1: .

Edited by jewgaffer

Hi Fishlexic

I won't be going to Menai worse luck. The run out tide from six o'clock would have been perfect and the midnight run in would have been a pretty good double check on the up river jew....and of course little jewgaffer would have been having some fun with the nippers on the nibble tip rods on his bream.

We couldn't get away this afternoon.... My wife Shirley's coming back this evening after a couple of day's in Adelaide... We'll go out after midnight if we can... and I hope the change comes in earlier in the AM. apparently it will only be in cool breezes now.

......I don't really like middle of the day stuff in the bays ..... Pete said the southerly blow which was forcast has been revised and that could mean clear water and you won't see any fish in close.... they will have bolted when you get anywhere near the shallows....not so bad with wider casts with beach rods landbased though..... If the southerly breeze gives a ripple in the water at that time, the middle of day it would help up there in the bay.

Let's know how you go Fishlexic and I'll do the same if we get out tomorrow.

Regards

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

And Pete if your reading this I hope you all have a really nice day tomorrow as glassy conditions in the early morning out wide out have always been the best all around for me and you seem to get a few hunting up early.

And Jimmy C you're onto it again.....that is generally pretty constant but the best results depend on the length of the build up leading up to that sort of a change.

Hi Grant I don't think I'll be able to get to the old Lugarno ferry spot at Menai till 6-00 AM it seems. We were all full of beans at getting there at midnight because we had to miss the run out......

At 6.00AM I may not last long with the four rods rigged up for jew....There'll be something wrong if the bream and flathead don't come just before sunrise so I'll rig up the nibble tip rods for them.

So you're right on line as far as i'm concerned as in the morning I'll have the turn and about two and half hours of the run down as prime time.... And at around 12.30 pm, the turn and a couple of hours of the run up.

That means they are prime times for bream and flathead where I'm fishing and it pro rates just as good in the Harbour and Botany Bay.... on The Hawkesbury it's prime time for day time jew....

Here's food for thought I'll have to have the set jew rods off the rock rod holders a little distance away from the flathead area at Menai, because I've got an idea that the jew are starting to get right into colonizing in the Georges more so since the Bangor bridge was built.... I've heard of hundreds of big mullet near the very narrow part of river in the channel beside the protruding half island just up river from Moorebank boat ramp. Blokes have knocking off jew on soft plastics up there. A lot of fishos have kept too quite about that area of the Georges for a good while now. But I've not fished up there for years because of the conditions of the water and before that Igot too many eels. A couple of years back big jew were pulled out up near LIverpool in numbers.... You would remember that Grant

So the pressure is on, I'll have the jew rods out to check but if we don't score too well in general it won't because of our shortage of live bait that's for certain.

Cheers mate if we make it I'll do a report all the same.

Regards

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Might be able to get up to Ballina and Kingscliff next week to see Jimmy and Jay and have a few days to fish before Shirl goes back to school. I'll gve you a tingle, but got see the chiro as the back's been giving me heaps.

Good luck mate. I hope you get a few.

I don't know the Georges too well but I know Sydney Harbour quite well. :biggrin2:

At this time of year you get a lot of Jew around the Gladesville Bridge, Cockatoo Island, Greenwich, Balls Head, & Blues Point region & up around the Harbour Bridge.

There are always a few of big fish caught around Castle Cove & Roseville in spring as well.

On & just after the next new moon & a few days before the full moon should fire.

Hope we can catch up when you're up this way.

Cheers,

Grant