Weekend Kingy Sessions

skunga

Got out there again on the weekend - both saturday and sunday.

Saturday got out at 10ish - late start, in fact hadnt planned on fishing, but when I saw the water I had to go for a splash. Got to my posi and chucked around plastic and downrigged gar's for a big fat nothing. Was good to get out - such a lovely day.

Sunday I had a terrible time with my mtn bike breaking a chain (for the second time in a month) so with an ominous sky looming and with the day winding to an end - I put the boat in for a quick session.

Arrived at my posi and chucked plastic for a while.. the water looked very fishy - low light, calm and with a few drops from the sky.... for about half an hour there was nothing and I was about to head home for a beer when I saw a flash after a lazy retrieve...

I didn't believe my eyes, but had another cast not expecting anything - Two good sized kingies followed this time!!! Right im into it again, varying the retieve and action but for nothing - I motor around and flicking everywhere.. I hear a splosh near where I cast my 6inch slug on a jighead... Pulling it in quite fast, I see another flash then WHAM..... here we go - another on the light rod... it worked the drag for about 2mins then PING... bust off...

Lots of swearing later.. and about another 100 casts.. I turned for home..

:mad3:

Cheers

Steve.

Must of have been good to be in the water in anycase. I saw you launch your boat in the water and had a quick chat to you before realising your a member on here. thise kings were hard to Brain on Saturday!!!

Hope to catch you at the ramp again.

Marco

Must of have been good to be in the water in anycase. I saw you launch your boat in the water and had a quick chat to you before realising your a member on here. thise kings were hard to Brain on Saturday!!!

Hope to catch you at the ramp again.

Marco

Fussy sometimes, but thats what brings me back to them time and again. :biggrin2:

Good to catch up with you Marco.. Def get out there for a session in the future.

At least you got a hook up!! :thumbup:

Was there any size to the Kings that chased your lure? Also, how do you hook your gars for the downrigger? They don't have much of a nose. :biggrin2:

Ceph - they were around the 70cm mark, tho one follow was much bigger..

As for the Gars, I have a hook coming out of the belly, with the leader feeding thru its guts and out of the mouth. I use thin single strand wire to get the leader thru.

I put some thin nylon thru the eyes then tie down the mouth and keep looping up the snout to the tip of the nose.. this way it will track straight. Sometimes, I tie on small treble and have that trailing at about its tail.

To be honest tho, we've had no luck with the kings on baits lately - well only one take on a crusty salted pilchard..

Ceph - they were around the 70cm mark, tho one follow was much bigger..

As for the Gars, I have a hook coming out of the belly, with the leader feeding thru its guts and out of the mouth. I use thin single strand wire to get the leader thru.

I put some thin nylon thru the eyes then tie down the mouth and keep looping up the snout to the tip of the nose.. this way it will track straight. Sometimes, I tie on small treble and have that trailing at about its tail.

To be honest tho, we've had no luck with the kings on baits lately - well only one take on a crusty salted pilchard..

Oh, dead gars.. I thought you were trolling livies.. :1prop:

I am going to try the gar this season.

A 70cm King will give you grief on light gear... actually, they give you grief on heavy gear come to think of it!! :thumbup:

Oh, dead gars.. I thought you were trolling livies.. :1prop:

I am going to try the gar this season.

A 70cm King will give you grief on light gear... actually, they give you grief on heavy gear come to think of it!! :thumbup:

Going out again this arvo armed ONLY with the light gear :1yikes: