Blueswimmers On In Brissie Water

Scienceman

yeah no traps in brisbane waters.

everyone is saying that the crabs are only just coming out and all

but i've actually caught them consistently in brisbane waters now

for about 2 years summer and winter. i dont know if it was just the

spot whihc holds them but they have been there.

regards mark

Has anyone heard if the crabs are awake in Botany Bay yet?

Dave

brought one up on monday it was holding on on a piece of mullet but let go before i got him should be firing up soon the water is getting warmer by the day :1fishing1:

Yeah me' Dad got one on a yabbie on Sunday in Cowan Ck. Got him in the landing net just as he let go. You've got to keep them under the water (*just* under is best) and then strike with the landing net as soon as they are within range. Hiding behind the gunwales is probably a good idea. I dont know how good crabs vision is!!!

how do you guys catch them without nets?

Hey Shannon, get a nice chunk of tailor or yakka or even ox heart, get an old hand line with a big hook

on it , chuck it over the edge of the boat and then the crabs will come, wait till you see your hand line start moving , then very slowly feel for weight on the hand line, and bring him up slowly , put net under and well behind him and , bingo you will have yourself a tasty blue swimmer crab. Blue ones are the male keepers, the browny coloured ones are the girls , they need to be put back.. Cheers..

Hey Shannon, get a nice chunk of tailor or yakka or even ox heart, get an old hand line with a big hook

on it , chuck it over the edge of the boat and then the crabs will come, wait till you see your hand line start moving , then very slowly feel for weight on the hand line, and bring him up slowly , put net under and well behind him and , bingo you will have yourself a tasty blue swimmer crab. Blue ones are the male keepers, the browny coloured ones are the girls , they need to be put back.. Cheers..

Yup thats correct or you could lift them up, check their underbelly. the triangular ones are male and the semi circle ones are female.

That rule only applys to QLD does it?

I believe that you can take females in NSW if they arn't baring eggs, is that correct?

:1fishing1: Onya Ray,

That is correct.Give the girls a break. Put them all back and Let them procreate. Crabbing is fun.

Cheers Bart :thumbup:

Edited by bart