Land Based

damariboyz

A funny thing happened on the ocean last week. I was trolling lures 150mtr's off Kurnell cliffs and my GPS showed me about 500mtr's on land.

:1yikes: watch out for that tree :074:

Can someone shed some light on this problem please.

No wonder I didn't get a strike.

My GPS unit is a Garmin 276C

Thanks Russ

Edited by damariboyz

A funny thing happened on the ocean last week. I was trolling lures 150mtr's off Kurnell cliffs and my GPS showed me about 500mtr's on land.

Thanks Russ

Hey Russ

did the unit briefly show the discrepancy and then reaquire it self back correctly

or was the 650mtr discrepancy reading all the time???

Cheers Warnie.....

A gps works by triangulating your position in reference to 3(?) satellites. One of these satellites puroposely puts an error into its signal so you can't get an exact position, that privilege is for the military.

I wonder if your unit picked up more than one erroneous satellite? Probably not likely though.

Interesting to see this weekends results.

It could be your unit's maps need calibrating.

Hi damariboyz

Have a good play with it this weekend for sure...ring garmin's service dept before you

go explain the situation to them.....when you turn it back on it hopefully it will just reset

and every thing will resume as normal........however if it remains that 650 mtrs discrepancy

it's useless to you!!!!!!!!!! and youve got to find an answer........ is it still under warranty???

as richie said about the satellites......i think that was disabled a while back and only comes in to play

in times of conflict as determined by the US military.....but even then it was more like 10 mtrs....

i dont think you will find that to be your reason here.........run her on the weekend and let us all know.....

Cheers Warnie....