Out With The Kirkbys On Wallis Lake

arpie

Hi Guys

Caught up with Rob & Mike & the boys, Dave, Steve, Huey and Mitch for a few hours out on the water in a hire boat on Thursday. We saw heaps of fish on the way up the channel, especially over the weed beds just before reaching Wallis Island. Went up & fished the T Intersection of the Breckinbridge Channel & Wallis Island (the deep water) with limited success - only the one trevally landed!

Headed back along to the leases where we had seen all the fish on the way up & boated a few 'throw backs' - they definitely enjoyed eating the worms I had caught early in the morning!

Then we moved to a few poles along the edge of a lease & tied up there - had a few good hits on the handlines, but no real takes -- I landed a nice whiting on worm, which was put back. Huey's rod dipped & bounced as whatever had taken his bait wrapped him round the pole & busted him off.

Young Steve was trying out every lure & sp in his tackle box & fishing like a pro!

Heading back to the main channel & towards Breckinbridge again, the wind had picked up & the water was quite choppy. We stopped at one of the leases, but the tide was running too fast, & the level of water was too shallow to fish, so kept going to the small channel leading back to the Breckinbridge Channel & anchored up there. Could see stacks of fish there - I have caught flatties & mullet there before & Steve finally landed a nice flattie! :thumbup: He was a happy boy!

Expectations were high & we were all hoping for the monster to jump on our hooks, but it didn't happen .... not that day, anyway! There is always tomorrow .......

A fun day was had by all & many thanks for including me in your fishing trip, guys

Cheerio for now

Roberta

Sounds like another good session up your way Roberta. The best part of being close to the water and fishing as often as that, you get to recognise the do go and the don't go times and it's a fact with fish the schools always act the same and other fishos are often re-acting at the wrong time.

Regards

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Did you get much fishing in at Coomera and Nerang or the dam down from Gilston after we spoke?

Hi Guys

Caught up with Rob & Mike & the boys, Dave, Steve, Huey and Mitch for a few hours out on the water in a hire boat on Thursday. We saw heaps of fish on the way up the channel, especially over the weed beds just before reaching Wallis Island. Went up & fished the T Intersection of the Breckinbridge Channel & Wallis Island (the deep water) with limited success - only the one trevally landed!

Headed back along to the leases where we had seen all the fish on the way up & boated a few 'throw backs' - they definitely enjoyed eating the worms I had caught early in the morning!

Then we moved to a few poles along the edge of a lease & tied up there - had a few good hits on the handlines, but no real takes -- I landed a nice whiting on worm, which was put back. Huey's rod dipped & bounced as whatever had taken his bait wrapped him round the pole & busted him off.

Young Steve was trying out every lure & sp in his tackle box & fishing like a pro!

Heading back to the main channel & towards Breckinbridge again, the wind had picked up & the water was quite choppy. We stopped at one of the leases, but the tide was running too fast, & the level of water was too shallow to fish, so kept going to the small channel leading back to the Breckinbridge Channel & anchored up there. Could see stacks of fish there - I have caught flatties & mullet there before & Steve finally landed a nice flattie! :thumbup: He was a happy boy!

Expectations were high & we were all hoping for the monster to jump on our hooks, but it didn't happen .... not that day, anyway! There is always tomorrow .......

A fun day was had by all & many thanks for including me in your fishing trip, guys

Cheerio for now

Roberta

Hi Roberta,

Ill be heading up to Forster in about 6 weeks as I like to do at least twice a year. One thing has stumped me and that would be due to lack of local knowledge, is I can never seem to locate any live poddies. Would you happen to know any such areas in Wallis Lake where I can get some.

Many thanks in advance.

Charmo

Hi Charmo

What size poddies were you after? You can get small ones in the creek next to the Bus Terminal (the small bridge where the Anzac Memorial is) in Little St (using a clear trap.) Up past the little bridge further up isthe place to try (or further up again towards Macintosh St as well.) Make sure you secure it well as I lost my tube when I turned around for a minute & a big one must have jumped in, as it pulled the metal prong out of the ground & took off! Couldn't find it wading in, as the creek is pretty murky!

If you want bigger ones, you can get them in the leases of 'the Paddock'. You can park your boat along the outside edge & cast in, but make sure you use a float with short traces, or they will skunk you in the racks. The lead up to high tide is the best time to get them. Look for the 'shaky' water! For some reason, I usually find them on the 'Tuncurry' side of the leases, not the FOrster side! These ones vary in size from about 15cm up.

GIve me a yahoo closer to the time & I can give you more specific info (check out my Fishing Chat posting on my Mullet Float!) Make up a couple & they work a treat in the oyster racks!

http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.ph...c=16663&hl=

Cheerio

Roberta

Thanks Roberta for the reply.

I tend to go after the smaller ones (around 10cms) for live bait with the flatties and the larger ones I cut up and use for bait elsewhere. Nothing goes to waste actually! great for crabs. Ill get the map out and try and find the locations you gave me and go from there.

Your mullet rig looks the goods too! That would be definately worth a try. What is the best type of wood to use?

And I will let you know at a later date when exactly Ill be up in your neck of the woods.

All the best.

Thanks Again

Charmo

Hi CHarmo

Basically something heavier than Balsa but still light enough to float. A resonable hard wood would be good. The 'other half' used to be a metal work teacher! Being retired & having no obvious use for it, I used the overszed Tri-square thingo (for the black board) & cut it into numerous 'mullet float' bits .... matter of fact, I just made 2 more this weekend!!

It should be a bit less than 5mm thick & no longer than 9cm & about 4-5cm wide. It has to be heavy enough to cast, strong enough to withstand the jumping of manic mullet & light enough to float so you can see where it is! Someone else even used an old wooden ruler - Perfect!! You could get 3 from each ruler! I now have the holes half way down the side & one on the bottom 'v'.

Look forward to hearing from you

Cheerio

Roberta