Stupid Question

Lasty

Hi Lasty, if your outboard is an electric start engine it will charge the battery when running. If it is a manual start 40HP, than as mentioned it will charge only if it has a battery charging kit installed. They are not that expensive and easy to fit if you do not have the capability to charge and you want to.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi Lasty, if your outboard is an electric start engine it will charge the battery when running. If it is a manual start 40HP, than as mentioned it will charge only if it has a battery charging kit installed. They are not that expensive and easy to fit if you do not have the capability to charge and you want to.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi Huey,

Would this be the same with a Mariner electric start would it charge the battery? My motor is electric start but i have to switch it off at the motor by holding in the kill switch.(thats how i brought it)

Hi Dan, any electric start engine will charge the battery when it is running if everything is working as it should. I think your engine would of been converted from manual start to electric and hopefully whoever did it has done it right and you do also charge the battery. One easy way to check is to see if the wires from the battery to the outboard go to a rectifier, with (again if done right) yellow wires coming from under the flywheel to this rectifier.

Cheers,

Huey.

Ideally , everytime you take the boat out , you should have a fully charged battery. Sometimes , the charging system on older motors is not running as well as it should , and in some cases , not at all. There will be no warning of this , the battery just will not charge. Then , you try to start the engine , and , well , you know the rest. :1badmood:

If you are running an older motor , check that the charging system is working ( there are testers available from most auto suppliers).

As batteries get older , their ability to hold a charge decreases , it might be a good idea to check on the age of your battery as well.

Personally , I like to charge the batteries overnight the night before I go out.

Ross