Advice On Mercury Rebuild?

Guest frankief

Guest frankief

G'Day gentlemen,

I'm a long time reader of your forum! thanks for all the useful information.

I'm in the process of purchasing my first boat (1980 Savage Sierra) and know very little when it comes to outboards. The boat has a 90HP 1980 Mercury Blueband inline 6 outboard. Its has two dead pistons and I've just gotten a price to have all 6 replaced. I've been looking around at second hand outboards and I can't seem to find something of similar calibre in my price range ($3-4k). If I can get a decent warranty with the rebuild would this be advised? Or should i steer away from something this old at look at other options...which are few at this point :(

G'Day gentlemen,

I'm a long time reader of your forum! thanks for all the useful information.

I'm in the process of purchasing my first boat (1980 Savage Sierra) and know very little when it comes to outboards. The boat has a 90HP 1980 Mercury Blueband inline 6 outboard. Its has two dead pistons and I've just gotten a price to have all 6 replaced. I've been looking around at second hand outboards and I can't seem to find something of similar calibre in my price range ($3-4k). If I can get a decent warranty with the rebuild would this be advised? Or should i steer away from something this old at look at other options...which are few at this point :(

Frank

Have you bought this boat already?

If not here comes the tough love! WALK AWAY!

Seriously a boat with problems is the worst thing for a newcomer...there's so much to learn as it is.

Despite what you may think there are heaps of boats out there...just be patient.

Took me 12 months to find my first boat and when i look at some of the horrors i could have bought into I'm so glad I persevered.

Really hang in there...read everything to do with boats, go to ramps etc, ask questions here.......your new boat will find you!

Probably not what you wanted to hear right now but it will be worth it.

Cheers

Chris

HI Frank, if you want to rebuild the straight six Merc you do not need to replace all 6 pistons, just rebore and replace the damaged ones. I would be guessing it will be number 2 and 3 that have failed because these engines really need to rev-at least 5500 at WOT, otherwise they melt pistons. I personally would not spend the money on that engine though-it is not worth it and you would be better off spending the rebuild money on a later model/better engine.

We have a couple of engines here that would suit. One a V4 115HP Evinrude at $3,500 and the other a re-built 120HP Force at $3,750. Both are much more desirible engines than a Straight 6 Merc and come with 3 months warranty.

Call me or drop by to check these outboards out because as you emntioned outboards of this HP and price do not hang around long.

Cheers,

Huey.