Shimano Stradic 2500 Fi

gretsch

Gidday Raiders,

My bother tried out his new Stradic 2500 FI on Sunday as we flicked plastics for Flatties and Jews in Middle Harbour.

The reel performed extremely well and handled all the loose line and belly uptakes one has when whipping shads.

He did not get a wind knot or spool loop or any other such unpleasantry.

Anyone out there looking for a smaller sized Shimano would be doing well to get the new Stradic. It has the Mg type handle, nice sliver and gold colour scheme and that super smooth action.

He got it off Ebay for less than $200 AUD delivered to his living room!!! :thumbup:

Hey Ceph, I have 2 stradic FH models and I love 'em, they and great for little bream and flatties as well as some big stuff, use them right and they can produce some good fish. Mine are on an Ian Miller Shimano Rack Raider, and a berkley Pro Tactic.. Cheers Ceph...

post-3371-1192523016_thumb.jpg

Never heard of those berkly pro tactic rods before, they look pretty nice! , are they new out?

what was the damage if you dont mind me asking?

Hi Kingsrule, mine is a 7' Pro Tactic Select Series Model 700 2-5 kg IM8 HGT, cost 200.00 - 250.00, great little rod, Cheers Kingy...

G'day Ceph,

Do you think this reel would be oversized for a 6'6 - 7' 2-5kg spin stick (e.g. Drop Shot, Rack Raider etc) to flick light lures with for Bream, Flattties etc.

Am tossing up whether to go for the Stradic 2500FI or the Daiwa Tierra 2000 and have one of the spools with 4-6lb for the light stuff, and around 10lb for some heavier bait and lure fishing.

Both reels seem to be top of quality.

Cheers

Marty

G'day Ceph,

Do you think this reel would be oversized for a 6'6 - 7' 2-5kg spin stick (e.g. Drop Shot, Rack Raider etc) to flick light lures with for Bream, Flattties etc.

Am tossing up whether to go for the Stradic 2500FI or the Daiwa Tierra 2000 and have one of the spools with 4-6lb for the light stuff, and around 10lb for some heavier bait and lure fishing.

Both reels seem to be top of quality.

Cheers

Marty

Gidday Marty,

I reckon the 2500 would be perfect. They are pretty small and light. My brother uses his on a Loomis custom - 7 footer rated at 4-10lb (2-5kg). The good thing about the 2500 is that you can up your line class a little for flatties and school jews. He fishes 10lb Fireline on one spool and 6lb on the other. For finesse Breaming, you would probably go down to 4lb line amd this would still be good. It is a very versatile reel.

Hey Ceph, I have 2 stradic FH models and I love 'em, they and great for little bream and flatties as well as some big stuff, use them right and they can produce some good fish. Mine are on an Ian Miller Shimano Rack Raider, and a berkley Pro Tactic.. Cheers Ceph...

Ray,

That Berkley looks nice. I like the handle set up. I see they have reversed the reel seat like Matagi (very $$$$) do. :biggrin2:

You must be a good lure spinner to not get line issues witht ose Stradics. We couldn't get it right and had knots and loops and all sorts of difficulties.. :mad3:

Edited by Ceph

Gidday Marty,

I reckon the 2500 would be perfect. They are pretty small and light. My brother uses his on a Loomis custom - 7 footer rated at 4-10lb (2-5kg). The good thing about the 2500 is that you can up your line class a little for flatties and school jews. He fishes 10lb Fireline on one spool and 6lb on the other. For finesse Breaming, you would probably go down to 4lb line amd this would still be good. It is a very versatile reel.

Ray,

That Berkley looks nice. I like the handle set up. I see they have reversed the reel seat like Matagi (very $$$$) do. :biggrin2:

You must be a good lure spinner to not get line issues witht ose Stradics. We couldn't get it right and had knots and loops and all sorts of difficulties.. :mad3:

Hey Ceph, I did have issues with tangles etc, that was mainly due to me, inexperience let me reel in the slack line and causing loops on the spool, next cast whammo ! a nice little mess of braid, I have taught myself to be very aware now of every lay of the line on the spool, and now 5,000 casts later I can cast backhand forehand any hand and pretty much put my little shad any where I please. Think it is all just practice Ceph, and yes I love the Pro Tactic.. Cheers..

my 2 cents worth:

be careful with 10 pnd fireline on a 2-5 kg rod.... seems like a bit of overkill too me.... good way to blow up a nice graphite rod... remember that stuff tests way above 10 pnds.....i've seen two pfluegers and a sic stik blow up....

with the light rod you cannot pull as much drag, so you aren't even using the 10 pound to capacity.... i have maxd my rod and the 10 pnd fireline out drummer fishing in the wash and you have to pull pretty damn hard to bust off...i am using a 6-10 kg dropshot for light pelagics and bigger flathead, and the 10 pnd is plenty strong

Edited by flathead fanatic

my 2 cents worth:

be careful with 10 pnd fireline on a 2-5 kg rod.... seems like a bit of overkill too me.... good way to blow up a nice graphite rod... remember that stuff tests way above 10 pnds.....i've seen two pfluegers and a sic stik blow up....

with the light rod you cannot pull as much drag, so you aren't even using the 10 pound to capacity.... i have maxd my rod and the 10 pnd fireline out drummer fishing in the wash and you have to pull pretty damn hard to bust off...i am using a 6-10 kg dropshot for light pelagics and bigger flathead, and the 10 pnd is plenty strong

Agreed.. I use the 10lb for a bit of extra knot strength and a bit more abrasive resistance. I wouldn't go fishing 7 kgs of drag on a light graphite spin stik.. (again) :thumbup:

Agreed.. I use the 10lb for a bit of extra knot strength and a bit more abrasive resistance. I wouldn't go fishing 7 kgs of drag on a light graphite spin stik.. (again) :thumbup:

Ceph is spot on - set your drag according to your rod rating and you should have no problems. The extra line thickness is handy for abrasion resistance, especially if you are land-based.