Looking After Your Catch

Davemmm

There was recently a thread that held a discussion over the best method of keeping trevs, blackies etc. Some called for them to be spiked and put on ice and others said to bleed them striaght away and so on.

I've been chatting with my old man about it and he has a different theory.

About a year ago he bought a couple of blackies from the fisho near Nowra bridge. When he got there the fish were that fresh they were still jumping. After telling the fisho that he would get them home and automatically gut, fillet and skin them he was given the advice to simply put the fish in the fridge over night before doing anything.

The old fisho stated that most fish, especially "blood" fish were a lot better eating if they were given time to settle down so to speak. As he pointed out, leaving a fish ungutted couldn't be too bad as all fish shops stock fish for days without gutting them.

My old man reckons it worked like a charm and now he keeps trevs, tailor etc in the keeper net and then whacks them in the fridge for 24hrs before touching them.

Thoughts??

Dave

Hi Dave

The advice the fisho gave your Dad, leaving the guts in and putting them in the fridge until the next day is the best way to do it . This method keeps the fish sealed and stops the flesh from drying out and slows up the rigor mortis process ........However we are often unable to do that as soon as they're caught and we have to try and keep them in good order until we get home from fishing.

I believe all take home fish should be despatched and bled immediately to shut the panic glands off and it is most importantl that the blood is prevented from congealing, especially with kingfish when cross cutting for cutlets and with jewfish despatchingi mmediately and bleeding them improves the flavour. I think it is some type of adrenilyn that the glands release and this affects the flavour.

Eating quality is affected when fish are kept in fish keepers or live bait tanks, just left to die or kept in any water at all dead or alive.

They should be kept cool, away from any slurry or salt water. The ice in the esky melts during the session so I fill two litre plastic milk bottles with water and freeze overnight instead of buying ice and I lay the despatched (and bled) fish on top of the milk bottles loosely wrapped in a towel to keep them cool and dry.

Fish generally taste better using this method than the ones you buy in shops.

Cheers Dave

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer