Speed Fishing For Nepean Bass

PJ Garn

Hi Raiders

I see many are heading down to our lovely Nepean River for a spot of Bassin'. I must admit the bug has got me too... so I leave my CRAZY, lazy Carpin' for another day to pursue summer Bass and at the same time get some exercise. (I have found myself walking 4- 5Km in search of these awesome fish!!!!)

Over the past couple of weeks I've been down the weir just on dark on about six occasions and have nailed a couple of decent fish the best going 37cm (Unfortunately the batteries in my camera died so you'll just have to believe me!!!) This one was from a quick session with Kiwi Wayne... score that night PJ Garn 1 - Kiwi Waynie 0.

post-4461-1192840462_thumb.jpg

Last night I headed off alone (Kiwi Waynie unable to come to play!!!) It was a warm barmy arvo, with the flies annoying me but there was plenty of surface action and fish were on the books... gee the water looked Bassy!!! (I suspect some of it was carp going on the size of the boils!!!)

I walked down past the quarry and hooked up on something BIG on the new "Baby Vib" lure that I got at WATTO's for $11.00. After a brief tussle on the ultralight Abu Garcia Conolon and Diawa Regal 2000C newly spooled with 4lb All Bass (also from WATTO's) I was dragged towards a snag and was OFF!!! I'm not sure whatever it was, was a Bass! It stayed down deep and was not energetic enough... more powerful like a Carp!?!? Anyway I headed a little further down stream and after witnessing a Bass come out from it's Willowly home and strike at my new FAV lure, I finally hooked up on a on the smallest Bass in the Nepean...

post-4461-1192840431_thumb.jpg

With darkness falling I headed for home, stopping briefly at the quarry bridge to land a slightly bigger version before the walk back to the weir for an unsuccessful quick cast right on dark.

post-4461-1192840293_thumb.jpg

All in all, these arvo-evening sessions are what fishing is all about. You don't have to invest hours and hours to have a great fishing experience!!!!

Cheers Raida's

PJ Garn

post-4461-1192840431_thumb.jpg

Great work.

What a funny lure u got there..it actually worked too. interesting.

I ve got one of those at home, never tried it out though. May bring it wiht me next time.

Vinflattie

Hi Vinflattie

Yep, they certainly do work... sometimes I have my doubts about a particular lure only to find it catches fish!!! The problem is that then it becomes your favorite and you tend not to give any other lure water time!

Cheer

PJ Garn