Hardbodies

pmak

I've had heaps of fun recently using soft plastics land based catching bream and flathead but want to try using hard bodied lures to expand my fishing techniques. I've got a couple of SX40s and a Stiffy minnow and have used them around Iron Cove and Hen and Chicken Bay without any luck. Must admit I don't persist with HBs and usually switch to SPs pretty quickly.

Any Raiders with more experience care to share retrieve techniques and locations where HBs seem to do well? I usually do a slow roll with the odd pause and the occasional twitch. Am I on the right track here? How slow is slow?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated ...

Some other variations to try from boat or shore.

from shore cast on angles and not just straight out.

look for variations in the shore line, sand meets rock, weed beds, even rock size change on the shore line. These areas are the places to target.

from a boat always have a target to cast at not just blind casting unless on the flats.

Look for shaded areas!!!! (under things like boats, docks and pontoons)

Look for current breaks, (behind things sitting in the current like poles, points and things above)

Ok a couple to try.

Cast to target or beyond

wind in slack line

From a position of rod pointing at lure and no slack line, rip the rod tip downwards to point at the water.

This will make the lure travel forward.

Do not wind

Now as you raise the rod tip to point at the lure again, wind in the slack line without pulling the lure forwards.

This should only be a wind or 2 of the handle.

Repeat to your feet.

The main thing is the pause, the lure do a diving rip, stop slowly float upwards and then rip back down. The pause or the floating motion is when most of the hits come.

Another.

Cast past the target

slowly wind so the lure is almost at target

then twitch the lure tip with out winding trying to keep the lure down but not moving forward as long as possible.

Once past start a slow roll back to your self.

another

Fast wind of the handle for 3 turns

pause afew seconds

Repeat.

Again its the pause when they hit.

Keep trying and good luck

Greg

Greg,

Those are very detailed instructions. I cannot not catch a fish with those tips!! Just need to put the Gulps away at my future sessions and persist with the HBs. Thanks heaps - will let you know when I finally nail one ...

pmak