Red Rock Cod ? 20/10/07

Mugen

Hi Guy's

just wondering if This is a Red Rock Cod or if not what is it...??Can you eat it...?I'm pretty sure these guy's have poisonous spines...

sorry guys having trouble posting pics file too large

Photo added thanks for the tip PJ cheers ...

I caught 2 of these but both went back in, wasnt sure about them..

post-4116-1192967276_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mugen

Hi Guy's

just wondering if This is a Red Rock Cod or if not what is it...??Can you eat it...?I'm pretty sure these guy's have poisonous spines...

Hey Mugen!

Red rock cod are definately edible! Even thou I havent tried them myself I used to give them to the old salts in the pubs I worked over the last 8years! These ole boys used to love them,, and they referred to it as the cheap mans lobster! :biggrin2:.

The reason why myself and Greg dont keep them ourselves, is its a huge pain in the a@# to prepare them! And Greg has been stuck with a spine,,,, NOT GOOD! His thumb blow up to twice the normal size and he couldnt move it for 2-3ays!

If you do keep them I recommended using small hand garden snips to cut off all the dorsal fins before you gut, fillet, etc.

Dan

D&G

Hi Guy's

Hi Mugen

Definately edible as other posts say... POOR MANS LOBSTER, but watch out for those spines, it'll throb for an hour if they get ya!!!

With regard posting photos on the site. You need to resize your photos with either with your photo software or try this method through windows.

1) Select all the photos you wish to post and right mouse click on them and select Send to .

2) From the drop down menu select Mail Recipient

3) An email window will appear with your photos as an an attachment now resized much smaller.

4) Drag and drop these files into another location other then the file where your original photos are located (otherwise you'll save over the original top quality photo with your lower quality copy!!!!) I usually drop them on the desktop and delete them once I'm done with them!!! :thumbup:

5) Now you can post these photos on Fish Raider for us all to see!!!! :fisher:

Hope this helps...

Cheers

PJ Garn

(Ask your mates who catches more CARP)

Hi Mugen

Definately edible as other posts say... POOR MANS LOBSTER, but watch out for those spines, it'll throb for an hour if they get ya!!!

With regard posting photos on the site. You need to resize your photos with either with your photo software or try this method through windows.

1) Select all the photos you wish to post and right mouse click on them and select Send to .

2) From the drop down menu select Mail Recipient

3) An email window will appear with your photos as an an attachment now resized much smaller.

4) Drag and drop these files into another location other then the file where your original photos are located (otherwise you'll save over the original top quality photo with your lower quality copy!!!!) I usually drop them on the desktop and delete them once I'm done with them!!! :thumbup:

5) Now you can post these photos on Fish Raider for us all to see!!!! :fisher:

Hope this helps...

Cheers

PJ Garn

(Ask your mates who catches more CARP)

Thanks for tip PJ how easy is that...!!

THE RED ROCK COD IS A TASTY TREAT, I'VE COULD A FEW OF THEM AND I USUALLY BOIL THEM IN WATER WITH A LITTLE SALT AND SUGAR. ONCE COOKED LEAVE IT TO COOL AND THROW IT IN THE FRIDGE OVER NITE.

EAT IT THE NEXT DAY AND I RECKON U THINK U WILL BE EATING LOBSTER :beersmile:

Delicious......but you don't get a lot of fillet. the big ones are worth keeping but any thing smaller than about 35cm can go back......unless you got a party planned and you put Lobster on the menu :thumbup:

cheers Roo.

Delicious......but you don't get a lot of fillet. the big ones are worth keeping but any thing smaller than about 35cm can go back......unless you got a party planned and you put Lobster on the menu :thumbup:

cheers Roo.

no worries mate,I think i'll keep throwing them back as they just look too ugly for me... :thumbdown: