Fishing Dunbogan & Lake Cathie

arpie

Hi guys

I had the pleasure of spending last Tues - Thurs with Ross Hunter and his buddies in a rental house at Dunbogan. There is a great breakwall there & we fished it every morning (starting at 5.30am) and afternoon, usually finishing about 5pm, returning home only for a meal & a sleep, before heading out again the next morning!!!

We had a lot of fun. I arrived about lunchtime on Tues, had a quick bite to eat & headed to the wall with Ross & co. Wandering the wall, you could see stacks of big blackies moving up & down the wall, so the optimism was high for getting into some fish!! By the time we returned with our rods (just minutes later ....) you couldn't spot any!! We wandered along the wall, trying numerous spots with no luck.

Then, I am on! Doesn't have much fight in it - not sure what it is, so I am surprised to see a leatherjacket on the hook! Took a liking to the cabbage (had weed on as well!)

30cm Leatherjacket on cabbage!

I kept fishing & shortly after got snagged on "Jack's Rock" (named after one of Ross's buddies who finds it on a regular basis.) As I tried to disengage it, another fish jumped onto the 2nd hook!! The rod was bouncing but not going anywhere as the other hook was well & truly snagged!! I finally managed to break the trace of the snagged hook whilst managing to keep the hooked fish! A nice 30cm blackie. post-2231-1192949724_thumb.jpg

Home for dinner & tactics discussion for the following day - we would try the wall again .... this time hoping to get on to Ross's favourite spot, down the end of the wall.

Up at 5.30am, a quick cuppa & we are out of there, down to the wall again. Once again, it is looking promising, but the fish are still a bit shy. I manage to get 2 blackies to 35cm during the day, with hundreds of casts. There are some big square blocks that line the wall & are a bit difficult to climb, but the fish are holding out in front of them, so well worth a try. Got a few snags & used up some of my spare traces. I had brought up some Forster weed & Ross termed it "Maiden's Hair" as it was very soft, & in long tresses. Ross got some bites on that & a couple of throwbacks. A break for brunch, & we are back into it! Down at 'the Spot' I could see big fish stacked high, but they were not taking a thing! It was also in a tricky spot to get your hook to stay, so I tried out the front for one throwback. We saw a huge school of either mullet or salmon come into the bay & marvelled at the size of the school. Quite a few tonne in that lot, Ross reckoned! Back home for dinner & well-earned sleep before starting all over again the next day.

post-2231-1192947095_thumb.jpg Wed fish - to 37cm

Thurs morning, we tried the breakwall again, but the tide was wrong, so we decided to head off to Lake Cathie (pronounced 'Cat-eye'!) We had heard that the blackies were going 'off' since the lake had been opened to the sea recently. We took up spots on both sides of the bridge & fished our little hearts out! The tide was the last of the runout & it was only when the run in began in earnest that we started to catch some better fish. I hooked a beautie, but it got off as I was about to grab the net!! Ross already had a couple in the net by then & I had one reasonable one. Then Ross caught the funniest looking fish we had seen for a long time! Then, a local joined us, just as the Big Ones came on the chew!! He caught about 4, then left! Not much of a conversationalist!

(Re the 'Funny Fish', upon returning home & putting up a post on The Aquarium, Fellow Fishraider, Blackfish, was able to identify it as a Banded Scat (Selenotoca multifasciata.) It was caught on weed. Quite a pretty fish, but Ross was careful not to touch it's spines - just as well, as it has a sting similar to Black Trevally/Happy Moments!)

post-2231-1192949681_thumb.jpg

http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/fishfact...sh/smultifa.htm (See it here)

Ross's son Ian was really chuffed to catch a particularly nice blackie - about 37cm - his first decent sized one - a great result, given that he was using a beach/estuary ALvey reel, not a spin or centrepin reel!! Prior to that, he had caught a few smaller throwbacks that had given him good practise at watching the float go down! He had been lulled into a bit of day dreaming, so was surprised to look up & see the float was gone, only to strike & come up on a great fish! Well done, Ian!

post-2231-1192949899_thumb.jpg Ian's fish

Ross ended up with 4 fish, I had 3 & Ian had the best one! A great fishing session and a spot to remember for the next time we are there, when the lake is open to the sea.

We grabbed some lunch from the local shops & headed back to Henry Kendal Park near Dunbogan, where we had heard of good catches in the morning, but we think someone had told us a porky!! However, it was a lovely flat spot beside the river where bream, flatties & blackies can be caught readily.

Back to the house & time to pack up & head back to Forster!

A fantastic few days with a really nice bunch of people who made me feel very welcome & all share a common passion - fishing!!! I reallly don't know how Ross stood up to the whole week - the pace was frantic & the exposure to sun & wind takes its toll. I was quite tired after just the 2-3 days! Wouldn't have missed it for the earth!

Many thanks, Ross for the invite to join you & the boys.

Cheerio for now

Roberta

post-2231-1192949658_thumb.jpg

Edited by Roberta

Hey there Roberta,

what a great time you guys had. As I have previously told you, my father in law has a van up your way, and my father lives at Lauriton. I know where that break wall is, as dad and I have fished there ourselves. Dad and I boat fish and do a little LB near the fishing co op. I love it up there, sounds like you all had a hoot.

Have 2wks Rec. Leave from the end of Oct. and hope to get up to both, Forster and Lauriton, if I know for sure, I will let ya know.........

Maybe catch ya on the waters edge. :thumbup:

As usual Roberta an absolute gem of a report, and as for the blackfish, I was in awe of 2 guys in a little tinnie last year whilst we were on a October holiday at North Haven. We went over to Pilot Beach and I saw these 2 old diggers pulling in blackfish hand over fist. It certainly is a great spot. Great report and good pics too.. P.S. Pic is of the 2 guys with a bag full of blackfish.... Cheers...

post-3371-1192957077_thumb.jpg

Hi guys

I had the pleasure of spending last Tues - Thurs with Ross Hunter and his buddies in a rental house at Dunbogan. There is a great breakwall there & we fished it every morning (starting at 5.30am) and afternoon, usually finishing about 5pm, returning home only for a meal & a sleep, before heading out again the next morning!!!

We had a lot of fun. I arrived about lunchtime on Tues, had a quick bite to eat & headed to the wall with Ross & co. Wandering the wall, you could see stacks of big blackies moving up & down the wall, so the optimism was high for getting into some fish!! By the time we returned with our rods (just minutes later ....) you couldn't spot any!! We wandered along the wall, trying numerous spots with no luck.

Then, I am on! Doesn't have much fight in it - not sure what it is, so I am surprised to see a leatherjacket on the hook! Took a liking to the cabbage (had weed on as well!)

30cm Leatherjacket on cabbage!

I kept fishing & shortly after got snagged on "Jack's Rock" (named after one of Ross's buddies who finds it on a regular basis.) As I tried to disengage it, another fish jumped onto the 2nd hook!! The rod was bouncing but not going anywhere as the other hook was well & truly snagged!! I finally managed to break the trace of the snagged hook whilst managing to keep the hooked fish! A nice 30cm blackie. post-2231-1192949724_thumb.jpg

Home for dinner & tactics discussion for the following day - we would try the wall again .... this time hoping to get on to Ross's favourite spot, down the end of the wall.

Up at 5.30am, a quick cuppa & we are out of there, down to the wall again. Once again, it is looking promising, but the fish are still a bit shy. I manage to get 2 blackies to 35cm during the day, with hundreds of casts. There are some big square blocks that line the wall & are a bit difficult to climb, but the fish are holding out in front of them, so well worth a try. Got a few snags & used up some of my spare traces. I had brought up some Forster weed & Ross termed it "Maiden's Hair" as it was very soft, & in long tresses. Ross got some bites on that & a couple of throwbacks. A break for brunch, & we are back into it! Down at 'the Spot' I could see big fish stacked high, but they were not taking a thing! It was also in a tricky spot to get your hook to stay, so I tried out the front for one throwback. We saw a huge school of either mullet or salmon come into the bay & marvelled at the size of the school. Quite a few tonne in that lot, Ross reckoned! Back home for dinner & well-earned sleep before starting all over again the next day.

post-2231-1192947095_thumb.jpg Wed fish - to 37cm

Thurs morning, we tried the breakwall again, but the tide was wrong, so we decided to head off to Lake Cathie (pronounced 'Cat-eye'!) We had heard that the blackies were going 'off' since the lake had been opened to the sea recently. We took up spots on both sides of the bridge & fished our little hearts out! The tide was the last of the runout & it was only when the run in began in earnest that we started to catch some better fish. I hooked a beautie, but it got off as I was about to grab the net!! Ross already had a couple in the net by then & I had one reasonable one. Then Ross caught the funniest looking fish we had seen for a long time! Then, a local joined us, just as the Big Ones came on the chew!! He caught about 4, then left! Not much of a conversationalist!

(Re the 'Funny Fish', upon returning home & putting up a post on The Aquarium, Fellow Fishraider, Blackfish, was able to identify it as a Banded Scat (Selenotoca multifasciata.) It was caught on weed. Quite a pretty fish, but Ross was careful not to touch it's spines - just as well, as it has a sting similar to Black Trevally/Happy Moments!)

post-2231-1192949681_thumb.jpg

http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/fishfact...sh/smultifa.htm (See it here)

Ross's son Ian was really chuffed to catch a particularly nice blackie - about 37cm - his first decent sized one - a great result, given that he was using a beach/estuary ALvey reel, not a spin or centrepin reel!! Prior to that, he had caught a few smaller throwbacks that had given him good practise at watching the float go down! He had been lulled into a bit of day dreaming, so was surprised to look up & see the float was gone, only to strike & come up on a great fish! Well done, Ian!

post-2231-1192949899_thumb.jpg Ian's fish

Ross ended up with 4 fish, I had 3 & Ian had the best one! A great fishing session and a spot to remember for the next time we are there, when the lake is open to the sea.

We grabbed some lunch from the local shops & headed back to Henry Kendal Park near Dunbogan, where we had heard of good catches in the morning, but we think someone had told us a porky!! However, it was a lovely flat spot beside the river where bream, flatties & blackies can be caught readily.

Back to the house & time to pack up & head back to Forster!

A fantastic few days with a really nice bunch of people who made me feel very welcome & all share a common passion - fishing!!! I reallly don't know how Ross stood up to the whole week - the pace was frantic & the exposure to sun & wind takes its toll. I was quite tired after just the 2-3 days! Wouldn't have missed it for the earth!

Many thanks, Ross for the invite to join you & the boys.

Cheerio for now

Roberta

post-2231-1192949658_thumb.jpg

Roberta ,

It was a pleasure to enjoy your company We are heading to Tassie tomorrow and I do not have time to post a report but have some great photos and stories Will post next week

Ross and the Dunbogan grogans

Hi Roberta

It sure is a great place for a holiday. I take the family there every chance i get it also helps when you have relatives living in the area. I know the break wall you have mentioned and i have herd reports that some big jewfish have been caught from there mostly of a night time. The sand flats are also good for whiting and flat head with a good supply of nippers easly accessed with a pump.

Nice looking blackies you guys caught there.

Cheers Mat

As usual Roberta an absolute gem of a report, and as for the blackfish, I was in awe of 2 guys in a little tinnie last year whilst we were on a October holiday at North Haven. We went over to Pilot Beach and I saw these 2 old diggers pulling in blackfish hand over fist. It certainly is a great spot. Great report and good pics too.. P.S. Pic is of the 2 guys with a bag full of blackfish.... Cheers...

Its a great place to be alrite! I was there a few years back for christmas..still regret to this day not taking a fishing rod with me :thumbdown:

great report roberta, you sure love to target these blackies

Hey Hobbitt - how lucky are you - rellies in both Forster & Laurieton!!! That is to die for!!! I reckon if I ever 'retire' from Forster, it will be to Dunbogan/Laurieton area! Absolutely gorgeous. I reckon that is what Forster used to be like 30 years ago! Definitely give us a yell when you come up here - I'd love to hit the wall with you (or wet a line, anyway ...)

Hi Ray - Nice photo. It shows those big square blocks that are so difficult to climb!! The fish love hanging out in front of them, where other blocks have fallen over, giving great cover! In front of the guys standing on the wall was one of the spots I clambered down the rocks to fish! Some nice big rocks sticking out into the system for the fish to rest behind. Didn't get any hits there tho. Ross was telling us about these guys that anchor up there & make a killing!! The flow doesn't get anywhere near as fast as Forster does - so I was quite comfortable fishing it even when the locals said it was going 'fast'! To me, it was almost normal! Mind you, there are about 4-5 biggish rivers feeding into Wallis Lake!

Hi Domza - definitely take your rod with you! Hey - how do you get that ant running around below your sign off!! I tried to shoo it away!! LOL!!

Hi Ross - hope some big trout jump onto your hook in Tassie!!! Look forward to reading your report of the whole week upon your return!!

Hi ya All Bard Up - it really is a magic spot. ALmost reminds me of Cottage Point when we lived near there in the 60's! Still some real estate bargains up there, too!!

Cheerio

Roberta

Edited by Roberta