Blackies

luderick59

fished 2to 4 30 today narra lakes

first cast hooked a monster blackie played him for 10 mins just about to net him hook pulled out :ranting2:

i estimate him to be about 3lbs which is big for the lake

finished the day with 3 fish all over 30cms and 2 bust offs

so i think the lake is comming good for summer :yahoo:

peter :1fishing1:

Hi Peter

What a shame about him getting off after such a tough fight!!! :( Good to hear there are still some good ones around, tho! It was this time last year (well, Nov) when I got my pb of 45cm & was busted off by bigger!

Hi Royce - there are monster blackies in Auckland, Coromandel, Tauranga (near the wharves there.) I lived there for 15 years but wasn't into blackies then!! :( Next time I go over, I'll be into them too!! For some reason they are not targetted much, even by recreational fishos. The Maoris love them for their Hangis ... the pros net them to use in their cray pots for bait! What a waste. Look forward to reading your report upon your return!

Cheerio

Roberta

Ceph,

with blackies there are two distinct types the long slender ocean going fish, which get up to around 65 -70cm then they get deeper and fatter or the more rounded fish that come out of the estuaries i've seen those up to about 45 - 50cm and then theye get deeper in the body, this is from personal observations over the years from Dad and myself there have been bigger and longer fish caught Peter will tell you as well. But on average any fish over 45cm is a big fish and around the 2.75 - 3lb mark depending on condition. Some of the biggest fish were those caught in the murks and were commonly referred to as s##t n#####s caughtright in the boils on peas threaded on to a hook!

Cheers

Royce.

Hi Peter

When living in NZ I used to watch these giant fish swanning around the wharves at Tauranga & in the estuary of Paunui/Coromandel - no-one fishes for them!

Here is a good site for NZ fish - the blackie/parore photos are down the bottom of the page

http://www.seafriends.org.nz/images/fish.htm

Cheerio

Roberta

Groper over there is called Hapuka

Hi Peter

When living in NZ I used to watch these giant fish swanning around the wharves at Tauranga & in the estuary of Paunui/Coromandel - no-one fishes for them!

Here is a good site for NZ fish - the blackie/parore photos are down the bottom of the page

http://www.seafriends.org.nz/images/fish.htm

Cheerio

Roberta

Groper over there is called Hapuka

HI Roberta ,

Checked out the above website. Very interesting. Sad to see that they were nearly wiped out by the pro's. Would not like to see that happen here.

Cheers Bart :1fishing1:

Bart,

i don't know if you ever heard of the stories of the net haulers dumping blackies on the beaches and leaving them to rot or the times when they would set the nets around lugarno in the georges and wipe out whole schools of fish and you would not get a fish for weeks between lugarno boatshed and mickeys, but it almos thappened here but not ot htat extent, problem is they were a bycatch wit hvery little market value and hence they ended up at the cannery!

A shame.

HI ROYCE,

NO mate,Ihave only been back in Sydney a few years,but it would not surprise.It is of much annoyance when I see the amount of Blackfish being netted up north. The Blackfish runs are getting smaller every year,and the locals aren't happy. They do I am sure end up in tin food etc. Good to hear from you.

Cheers BART :1fishing1:

Edited by bart

It's very true as the blackies run not far behind the mullet and i've seen ridiculous amount s of blackies taken by mullet net haulers over the years out of the bay no doubt it happens up north, but you are right the runs are not as prolific and from all reports this year was quite lean but saying that the Harbour is full of the buggers right now. But i have pics from Dads days up Nambucca and Yamba and they have over a hundred fish in the bags most of which was let go and enough kept for a feed and to sell a few for beer money! Those days you don't see very often when every north coast river would be lousy witthem from may/ june till August.

Cheers

Royce.

Hi Peter

Glad you got the one nice one!!! I got one ordinary one about 32cm (first cast) yesterday pm then nothing after that for 2hrs! May try SPot x today on the last of the runout on cabbage. We've had some rough seas here, so lots of stuff floating in the water here too.

Hi Royce & Bart

Yamba had an even worse blackie year last year, so not surprised everyone is complaining a bit this year - an old buddy who has fished Yamba for the last 50 years reckons he only got less than 20 fish, total, over a 3 month period!! Shocking!!! And he knows every spot & is a top fisho! (Lives on the Georges & fishes it regularly too!) Had to go for flatties instead, for a feed!

Big schools are still netted here off Seven Mile - shame, cos they don't keep & if not bled & gutted almost immediately, you may as well just bury them in your back yard as compost!

Cheerio

Roberta

Hi everyone, just got back from coromandel yesterday, sadly I wasnt there for the fishing but I was down at the wharf and as Roberta said. There are some big blackies there. I watched a guy pull out 2 40+cm blackies, no guessing what he was gonna do with them........... nothing to do with cray pots thats for sure.

PS Roberta r u from there?

Hi Pete

I lived in Auckland for 15 years & had a 'weekender' at Pauanui (east coast on the Coromandel Peninsula.) Used to pack up every Fri pm & drive 2hrs to Pauanui & bliss!!! Headed home late Sun pm to miss the weekend traffic! Fantastic place.

Kingies & snapper are the usual target fish for most Kiwi Salt Water fishos! Kawhai/aussie salmon caught for livies. I never saw stringy weed growing (as such) but also was not looking for it! I assume cabbage was growing on the rock ledges (tho once again can't remember seeing it, & I fished the rocks on occassion!)

Can't wait to go back & try for the blackies tho - will put it on my wish list for next year!!

Cheerio

Roberta

:fisher:

G,DAY ROYCE and ROBERTA,

WE WENT NORTH AS USUAL FOR THE WINTER THIS YEAR, AN ANNUAL EVENT FOR US BLACKFISHING BOYS. SWR IS OUR USUAL SPOT.

THE BLACKFISH CATCH FOR US THIS YEAR WAS A LOT LESS THAN LAST YEAR ALTHOUGH WE DID MANAGE SOME NICE SIZEABLE FISH AMONGST THEM. EACH YEAR OUR TOTAL CATCH HAS BEEN DECREASING,ESPECIALLY IN THE LAST 4 YEARS.

MOST OF THE GUYS ARE EXPERIENCING THE SAME ,WHERE AS ONCE IT WAS FULL ON FOR THE BLACKFISH ,NOW YOU MUST HAVE ANOTHER PLAN OF ATTACK E.G BREAM,FLATHEAD ETC . ETC.

I AM SURE MOST OF THE NORTHERN RIVER TOWNS ARE SEEING THE SAME HAPPEN.

HOWEVER ALL WAS NOT LOST THIS YEAR AS WE HAD THE BEST YEAR YET ON THE BREAM CATCH ON SMOKEY BEACH. " AWESOME!!"

BUT BEING A TRUE LOVER OF BLACKFISHING IT IS DISAPPOINTING WHEN YOUR EFFORTS OF YESTERYEAR HAVE NOT BEEN REPEATED.

AH YES ROYCE, MAYBE STAY CLOSER TO SYDNEY NEXT YEAR. I COULD BE MISSING OUT.

CHEERS BART :1fishing1:

Edited by bart

Bart,

try Port Stephens, they have had incredible runs for the last 3 to 4 years this year was a little sporadic there but most of the walls and bays produced for the locals and tourists alike, also Newcastle and Swansea fired (Swansea not so much) Funnily though Bribane Waters was slow yet some very good runs came in the Hawkesbury and its tributeries, blackfishing has been my passion for 20 plus years and they are becoming increasingly unpredictable in their runs!

Royce.