Help Needed For Kit Out For Christmas

marus8504

well christmas is just around the cornner and i thought that i need to buy some new gear for the new year

this summer i plan to have crack at the kingies and just want some advice on a good kit to target these fish

i was thinking a new shimano sustain 8000, would this be strong enough to handle these fish in the harbour.

the real problem comes with the rod, i have looked online at the G loomis but i am not sure at what weight rod i should get, i want to spend around $400 on the rod and would like any info that people may have on what i should get. i would love a custom rod but i am not sure if they fit into my 400 budget should i look at 8-10Kg rod. i would perfer to have the lightest rod that i can uses on the kingies so i can really feel the fight,

any info would be greatly appreciated thanks

MARK

Mate reel wise a Shimano sustain will be a great reel for Sydney kings.....

Rod wise you have many choices but i would recommend a Rapala Braid composite...it will set you back around $230.....awesome rod and i think underpriced....i would rank em up there with any of the top price rods...and i have owned a heap of rods.....RRP for the Braid composites are $300 in most stores but you can get them cheaper with discounts at places like Gofish for around $230....I am so impressed by the Rapala range of braid composites that i have replaced all my more expensive rods with them, Crazy John even replaced his $600 Saltiga Jigstick woth a Rapala Jig Stick because he rated the Rapala a better rod.

And the good thing is with the saving of nearly $200 you may be able to grab a STella 8000 instead of a Sustain

Mate reel wise a Shimano sustain will be a great reel for Sydney kings.....

Rod wise you have many choices but i would recommend a Rapala Braid composite...it will set you back around $230.....awesome rod and i think underpriced....i would rank em up there with any of the top price rods...and i have owned a heap of rods.....RRP for the Braid composites are $300 in most stores but you can get them cheaper with discounts at places like Gofish for around $230....I am so impressed by the Rapala range of braid composites that i have replaced all my more expensive rods with them, Crazy John even replaced his $600 Saltiga Jigstick woth a Rapala Jig Stick because he rated the Rapala a better rod.

And the good thing is with the saving of nearly $200 you may be able to grab a STella 8000 instead of a Sustain

thanks for the rply

do you think 8-10Kg would be a strong enough rod

thanks for the rply

do you think 8-10Kg would be a strong enough rod

Mate i would go the 10-20kg stick for an 8000 reel

even though the rapala is rated to 10-20kg i think it is more a 10kg stick then a 20kg

Netic's already given you the good oil on the Braid Concept, which I also consider a very good rod. (I own the 10 - 20 kg model). Great componentry and I love the way it feels in the hand.

However, you didn't really mention how you intend to target the kings. If you're planning on casting Slug-gos, other soft plastics or hardbodied stickbaits/poppers at them, then the Sustain 8000 might be a bit heavy for long sessions. For plastics and top water luring, a smaller reel may be the go.

eg. Sustain or Twin Power 4000, Certate 3000 or 3500 (spooled with 15 - 20 lb braid) matched with a Shimano T-Curve Bluewater Spin or Power Spin (5 - 10 kg, under $300), Nitro Viper (6 - 8 kg) or Magnum Butt (4 - 6 kg, both under $300), Rapala Braid Concept (6 - 12 kg, under $250), Loomis PBR843 (12 - 25lb, under $400) or Daiwa Saltiga Dorado A-rounder 70s (4 - 8 kg, stretching your budget at $600 but you can take advantage of the very strong Aussie dollar and get it online for under $400 including shipping).

Good luck and let us know what you do.

Some strong advice put out by Netic and David already.

I agree with Netic.. get the Stella 8000. I would grab the SW8000HG on Ebay. Comes with grease, spare knob and a spare spool. If you just want the 8000 FA, there is one on Ebay for $540 Aussies. Wil cost you $40 to get it here. Still cheap!! :thumbup:

Regarding the rod, I would go to the tackle shop with your reel and mount it on a few and see which one you like. One of the most important factors is the quality of the guides. Look for SIC guides.

I was just in a tackle shop and there are so many rods available, the world is you oyster. Personally, I like the Ian Miller Gamespin series. You shoudl check em out. :biggrin2:

thanks for the help, i will be sure to check out the rods, the braid concept looks good, and sounds like great value for money i also pm fish finder tony about some custom rods and may have one which would suit, it may cost abit more but they are proppaly worth every dollar

this will be my frist time at targeting kingies, i am also going to purchase a simano 4000 sustain as well for the sulgs and i will keep the 8000 for lives

cant wait