Jerk Shads

lurespinner

ok so every jerk shad i rig up spins!! :mad3:

ive tried rigging them on a 1/8, a 1/4 and a 1/2 ounce darter style head.

i rig them just as u do a bass minnow, but they spin every time... no matter what i do.

my bass minnows dont spin (most of the time :P)

what am i doing wrong? can someone please help :wacko: thanks a lot

Not sure how your tying them onto your leader/mainline, but if you tie directly to the jig head rather than leaving a loop such as you would with a hard body this can make them spin.... It doesnt have to be leftys loop not or something like that, pulling the hummble uni knot tight on itslef a few cm's up from the jig head will do the trick. Only problem with this is when you actually get a fish the knot usually pulls tight so you have to try pull it out again or re tie it but hey if catching fish is the problem then i can live with that!!!!!!

Sorry didnt explain properly either.... you may be putting your jigs on correctly but the above explination might help them to not spin!

Edited by fishlexic

Not sure how your tying them onto your leader/mainline, but if you tie directly to the jig head rather than leaving a loop such as you would with a hard body this can make them spin.... It doesnt have to be leftys loop not or something like that, pulling the hummble uni knot tight on itslef a few cm's up from the jig head will do the trick. Only problem with this is when you actually get a fish the knot usually pulls tight so you have to try pull it out again or re tie it but hey if catching fish is the problem then i can live with that!!!!!!

Sorry didnt explain properly either.... you may be putting your jigs on correctly but the above explination might help them to not spin!

well ive tried both... directly to the jighead and with a loop

still spins :thumbdown:

I sometimes have the same problems with squidgy flick baits.

1) make sure that the jerk shad is on dead straight, even a mm out on a light head will cause to spin

2) Use a uni knot and leave only the smallest tag possible on the knot, with a light jig head this too can make a huge difference from water drag.

3) try either a heavier head, or a ball head rather than a darter style.

Just some things that I have found that work...

thanks for the suggestions guys

ill try these and get back to you

by the way are they all sposed to be slit along the bottom? i dont see the point in it...

Hey mate you might have just answered your own question!!!! The way to rig a jerk shad is to take the hook through the nose with the shaft on the bottom and peice the plastic right through and out the groove. Once into the groove you spin the hook around 180 degrees so that shaft is once again on the bottom and then peice the jerk shad from the groove up through the back in the right length.

I know this is kinda hard to understand without a pic and if i have time later today or tomorrow ill post up some pics for you but if you think of it this way that the jig head is through about the first 2cm of the shad then the hook shaft just sits in the cavity for about 2 cm (obviously depending on the length of the jig head), then once again goes into the shad at the base of the hook or the pointy end.....

The hook should not be inserted completely within the plastic just pass through it in 2 places, and the shaft sits in that groove!

Hope that makes sence and if thats what you've been doing that would definatily be the prob. let me know if i can explain it better for you!

Edited by fishlexic