Neapean Weir

kiwi waynie

G'DAY Raiders,

Seeing as there was a bit or rain around and me being a tradie who can work in the rain, I decided to grab a rain coat and head down the weir for a bit of mullet fishin. Well it didn't take long for the sun to come out but did i feel guilty for not being at work NAH!

First cast with bread under a float goes down a lift of the rod tip and and that magical sound of a screaming drag fills the air, after a short battle with a few great runs a nice mullet is at the bank but thats where things went pear shaped, as i had only just arrived my fold up landing net was still in my bag i tried to land the fish by hand, the hook came out and even though i got both hands to the fish it just popped out like a bar of soap. From there i proceded to lose fish after fish. The size 12 hooks where doing a great job of getting hook ups but these fish were big and fast. Most of the fish lost where due to the extra drag presure needed to stop em leaving the pool and heading down the rapids. Still i managed to land 5 ranging from 42-49cm (whats the Fish Raider record again) and i lost fish much bigger that were sighted but couldn't be stoped before the hook pulled. The steam train came in the form of a monster carp which picked up a weighted bread bait, and when he did it bolted. For any body familiar with the weir i was just past the pines below the fish way, when it took off it when straight out and started to turn right, towards the rapids! now i didn't think fish understood human but when i sreamed oh no you f^*#in don't!!! it straighted up and kept going all the way to the old fishway on the other side. The fish is now i recon over 100 meters away then the battle started he looked all the way accross the front of the weir for somwhere to bust me off before making a lst run for the rapids but i had the upper hand by now as he was starting to tire, he still gave me plenty as he neared the shallows but it was to be my day and came to my at this point very small looking landing net. 72cm WOOHOO! (whats the Fish Raider record again).Lucky for me a couple of fellas came over and took some pics with the last of my camera battery.

Lata Raida.

Waynie

Edited by kiwi waynie

:1yikes::1yikes: Great report mate! That's a fat old carp and would have been tremendous fun. The mullet is a cracker also ... Raider Records tumbling like flies :074::074:

That was an entertaining read, Waynie. Good on ya'!! Now, repeat after me ... "unfold the net BEFORE I cast..." :074:

Hodgey