Hours On Engines?

screech

hey guys!

is the hour dial (the one that tells you how many hours the boats done) connected to the engine or the battery?? like does it read how many hours the engines been running or how long the boat used from the battery?

i've been told by a boat mechanic that its connected to the battery....... but theoreticly shouldn't it be connected to the engine????

its a 550 savage.

The hour meter is connected to the engine ignition switch , so the hours recorded are when the switch is in the ON position , ie when the motor is actually running.

Ross

or if ignition is left on.(motor not running).tick.tock .tick.tock the hours away... not that i have done that.......... well maybe once or twice :1prop: ..

cheers...steve....

Edited by roosterman

Hi Guys, older engines with an hour meter in the dash are wired to the ignition switch so yes if the key is on (even if the outboard is not running) the hours tick up, or the opposite, it is easy to just disconnect the hour meter. When we get a boat to trade I do not pay much attention to a dash fitted hour meter because you just can not trust what they are telling you in relation to engine hours.

Modern engine with EMM are 100% correct when you plug in the laptop because the EMM only records engine operating hours.

What we sell alot of and recomend instead of a dash hour meter is a digital hour meter that runs from the high tension leads of the outboard and only works when the outboard is actually running and the good thing is these hour meters are no dearer than the dash mounted ones, which as I said are pretty useless when wired to tick over any time the key is on.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi Guys, older engines with an hour meter in the dash are wired to the ignition switch so yes if the key is on (even if the outboard is not running) the hours tick up, or the opposite, it is easy to just disconnect the hour meter. When we get a boat to trade I do not pay much attention to a dash fitted hour meter because you just can not trust what they are telling you in relation to engine hours.

Modern engine with EMM are 100% correct when you plug in the laptop because the EMM only records engine operating hours.

What we sell alot of and recomend instead of a dash hour meter is a digital hour meter that runs from the high tension leads of the outboard and only works when the outboard is actually running and the good thing is these hour meters are no dearer than the dash mounted ones, which as I said are pretty useless when wired to tick over any time the key is on.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi Huey,

Just wondering is this digital hour meter easy to install?

Many thanks.

Regards,

Chen.