First Marlin Outing

Rocky

Hell there raiders, How are you all. I have just got the gear and the boat for my first Marlin outing and I cant wait. I really need some help though. I dont expect people just to tell me where they catch them. But, I would love to know a little about how etc etc.

I am heading to Port Stevens. When would be the best time to try ??

Live baits or lures ??

I am a real novice but i gues you only learn by trying.

Please help

Rocky

Guest Big-Banana

Head up in Feb mate, live bait is the go if you find the bait balls, although if you can't you'll have to troll skirts to try and cover some ground.

Hell there raiders, How are you all. I have just got the gear and the boat for my first Marlin outing and I cant wait. I really need some help though. I dont expect people just to tell me where they catch them. But, I would love to know a little about how etc etc.

I am heading to Port Stevens. When would be the best time to try ??

Live baits or lures ??

I am a real novice but i gues you only learn by trying.

Please help

Rocky

Hi rocky....

far from it for me to say i have all the answers for you........but when it comes to catching & finding

them..... nothing helps more than knowledge and experiance which of cause will come

with the more times times you do it.....talking to others on the subject whether through the means

of this site.....attending one of there workshop meetings or going down to your local game fishing club and attend one of there meetings...with the purpose of gaining knowledge and asking Questions Questions Questions!!!!!!!!

take everything in like a sponge and try and apply in practice.....

arrange to have a fish on an experianced boat and see how its done and carried out in practise first hand get some one you know that is well versed on the matter

to jump on board with you a couple of times to help build confidence in what you are doing with

the lures set up, trolling speed etc is all being correctly carried out.....for even when all is done correctly result is still not gauranteed....helping incausing you to doubt yourself and your methods applied

and of cause try a charter....broadbill for example to help gain knowledge on the matter....

Oh yes!!!!!!!!! did i also mention keep asking question's.....

Cheers Warnie.....

mate when it comes to chasing marlin there is soooooo much stuff you need to learn.

I have great mates who run charters and after observing them i realise it will take me years to learn what they know....

Its not like other forms of fishing......nobody can just point you in the right direction and say good luck...

Even when you have a marlin following your lures and is ready to attack there are heaps of things that have to be done to ensure a solid hook up that will last throughout the fight withou the marlin dropping off...

IF you truly want to learn do as warnie suggested, jump on charters and ask heaps of questions.....and listen and watch very carefully.

Hi there guys. Thanks for that advice. I am very good with the questions and always listen hard. Like warnie said, I am a good sponge.

I am planning on trying around the 20th Jan. Does that sound ok to people who know. I will have a solid three days at them and if I do no good, well, I will just have to have another three days the next week, and the next, and the next.

what lures would people suggest to get started anyway, let not worry about how to spread them, and what spead to run them. Lets get the right gear to start with.

Thanks

Rocky

Hi Rocky.....

Exciting stuff mate

January is in season

Troll 4-6 knots (walking pace) unless they are aggressively feeding you can jump up to 8 - 10

Variety of lures Jet heads etc Varying colours and sizes depending on what baits are around out there, pink and black or blue and white, usually running with the swell.

in the long run you are going to save a lot of money by doing at least one pro guide and if port stephens is the go check out site sponsors Ross and glen Hunter

I think I am going to call them myself

I need my arms stretched and a sore back for three days and a grin that lasts a week

When buying lures for marlin get the best you can. PAKULA,TOPGUN,MAGOO,HOLLOWPOINT AND MARLIN MAGIC are all good places to start. 6-10 inch will suit most of what sydney will throw at you. A good marlin lure will set you back around $60-100 rigged so a spread can get a little pricey but there is not much point burning fuel at $1.40L towing around ordinary lures. Keep your hooks razor sharp,check and re-check drags,be confident with your knots and hope you don't have any chinks in your armour because if you do a marlin will generally find it.

Best of luck Shane.