Central Tablelands River Trouting

Bream Mad

Hi Raiders,

Yes Dear and I hit a remote high altitude river yesterday, hoping for some elusive Trout.

The BOM informed us our river in question had just over 60mm in two days :1badmood:

so to be honest our hopes were not exactly high. Got to the river about 7am and sure enough it was running a banker and brown :thumbdown:

Dry flies were out of the question, so we both rigged up our biggest, blackest wooly buggers.

With the river in this condition, big resident Browns often wait in ambush behind current breaks such as rocks or logs. After an hour our casting to mean looking snags in the raging currents we had no takers.

Then as i lobbed my bugger upstream of a rock, the leader stopped dead and we had our first Brown of 42cm :thumbup: . After posing for a few he was slipped back into the flow

post-2475-1194228637_thumb.jpg

I then walked downstream to see if Yes Dear had any luck (and to brag) and sure enough he too had a pic of another beautiful brown of similar size. :biggrin2: and a story of one that got away as well

Come upstream I said, I nailed this guy in a very fishy looking pool.

We both started fishing the pool hard and soon enough my bugger is nailed again by another good brown who precedes to go balistic and throws the hook :mad3:

After a quick bite we head downstream to a wide pool, i rig up a B/H pheasant tail below a stimulator and honest first cast the stimi bobs under and i am into a fiesty little brown of about 20cm.

Then very next cast i catch his brother in the same spot who is even more determined to thow the hook.

Later on Yes Dear nailed his cousin on the spin gear and has a follow by a big rainbow.

Lets head back I say but how about one more cast were you saw that big bow.

The leader again stops dead as my bugger is nailed by the big rainbow that realy goes off peeling drag and shaking his head. Then just as Yes Dear readys the camera for some pics the bastard hook pulls and the big rainbow casually glides back into the depths :05:

Well between us we hooked 8 fish and landed 4, pity the big ones got away, but we still had a ball :biggrin2:

Cheers

BM

Nice one dude.

Once the house is done, I'll call you and we'll have a go too. Man am I jealous!

Was that on the three weight?

Great report BM :thumbup: Amazing how the Trout 'ride' out flooding rivers, finding little back eddies and calm patches to sit it and still feed actively!!

With any luck all that water will bring up some of those lovely Trout Lakes a little more :biggrin2:

Cheers

Windy

Nice one dude.

Once the house is done, I'll call you and we'll have a go too. Man am I jealous!

Was that on the three weight?

Cool Richie,

Yes the 3#wt certainly cops a hammering from the Trout and more recently Bass.

I have a #6wt but don't realy use it that much, just love the feeling of the cork bending in your hand when she loads up :biggrin2:

BM

Cool Richie,

Yes the 3#wt certainly cops a hammering from the Trout and more recently Bass.

I have a #6wt but don't realy use it that much, just love the feeling of the cork bending in your hand when she loads up :biggrin2:

BM

I've just received a 6'6" 2 weight blank and a 7'6" 4 weight blank from the US to wrap up for just that reason. They're my projects to work on when I'm sick of the house - along with my solar-electric boat.

I need to get out more though...

Hi Raiders,

Yes Dear and I hit a remote high altitude river yesterday, hoping for some elusive Trout.

The BOM informed us our river in question had just over 60mm in two days :1badmood:

so to be honest our hopes were not exactly high. Got to the river about 7am and sure enough it was running a banker and brown :thumbdown:

Dry flies were out of the question, so we both rigged up our biggest, blackest wooly buggers.

With the river in this condition, big resident Browns often wait in ambush behind current breaks such as rocks or logs. After an hour our casting to mean looking snags in the raging currents we had no takers.

Then as i lobbed my bugger upstream of a rock, the leader stopped dead and we had our first Brown of 42cm :thumbup: . After posing for a few he was slipped back into the flow

post-2475-1194228637_thumb.jpg

I then walked downstream to see if Yes Dear had any luck (and to brag) and sure enough he too had a pic of another beautiful brown of similar size. :biggrin2: and a story of one that got away as well

Come upstream I said, I nailed this guy in a very fishy looking pool.

We both started fishing the pool hard and soon enough my bugger is nailed again by another good brown who precedes to go balistic and throws the hook :mad3:

After a quick bite we head downstream to a wide pool, i rig up a B/H pheasant tail below a stimulator and honest first cast the stimi bobs under and i am into a fiesty little brown of about 20cm.

Then very next cast i catch his brother in the same spot who is even more determined to thow the hook.

Later on Yes Dear nailed his cousin on the spin gear and has a follow by a big rainbow.

Lets head back I say but how about one more cast were you saw that big bow.

The leader again stops dead as my bugger is nailed by the big rainbow that realy goes off peeling drag and shaking his head. Then just as Yes Dear readys the camera for some pics the bastard hook pulls and the big rainbow casually glides back into the depths :05:

Well between us we hooked 8 fish and landed 4, pity the big ones got away, but we still had a ball :biggrin2:

Cheers

BM

Hey BM,

it sure was a lot of fun and a really nice place.

Can't wait to get back asap

what happen to the pic I sent of the first little fellow I scored, didn't it come through?

Just had the electric motor delivered so will have to give it a run up the NR soon for some bass fun!

cheers

Edited by Yes Dear

Hey BM,

it sure was a lot of fun and a really nice place.

Can't wait to get back asap

what happen to the pic I sent of the first little fellow I scored, didn't it come through?

Just had the electric motor delivered so will have to give it a run up the NR soon for some bass fun!

cheers

No did not come though

Just post it yourself?

Can't wait for the next trip that river is a ripsnorter :biggrin2:

BM

Hi BREM MAD. very nice fish you got there, I am assuming its the same location you were good enough to show me last season.Its a great location for a fish and a trout like yours is a real bonus.Might see you out there at some time. all the best troutboy :1fishing1:

Well done guys! Fantastic report - it is some years since I've been fly fishing - last time at Lake Lyell in one of the rivers (creek, really) entering it!

Hmmmm - will have to dust off the old 6wt & take it with me when we go to Canberra in mid Dec - we could be detouring via the Snowys on the way back!!

Cheerio

Roberta