Any Fellow Fishos A Car Mechanic?

dani!o

hello fellow fishos

was wondering if anyone here is a car mechanic? I smashed my car a while back and need some work done mostly on the front passenger side... theres very little mechanically that needs to be done, mostly need panel work and perhaps a paint job... however, car has been off the road for quite a while now so perhaps some engine tubing etc needs replacing...

anyway, if anyone is a mechanic please let me know, id rather give the business to a raider... or, if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know ya

thanks heaps guys

What area you in?

I'm in kensington, which is next to university of new south wales kingsford campus...

btw, i probably should have thought about this earlier but here are some pics and a few words to entertain you guys... haha, im in the middle of ultimate exam death at the moment so certainly no fishing reports to give you guys a laugh, so here is my car crash instead

so one day, i was ploughing along in the rain on my way to do the groceries... pretty boring right? ya i thought so too, so i decided to give myself some excitement... i pull up to a corner in 3rd gear, not going all that fast doing maybe 40 or 45km, and i thought REXY AWD POWERRRRRRR (rexy = subaru impreza, awd = all wheel drive), but because it was raining and so theres less traction on the tyres and when the tyres lose traction, understeer is inevitable... ok so i didnt think this deep at the time, but anyway, instead of turning right, the car ploughed almost straight ahead... straight ahead into a curb that is... and damn was that curb hard... the curb was so hard in fact, that my all indestructible rexy got caned...

post-5243-1194355034_thumb.jpg

post-5243-1194355029_thumb.jpg

post-5243-1194355040_thumb.jpg

anyway, that was many many months ago but because of my student povo-ness i havnt had the money to fix it up until recently... most of the mechanical work has been done, but theres still some panelling etc left... anyway, i'm looking for a mechanic who can just get me back on the road because i'm so tired of catching the bus to do groceries...

oh and if you guys are wondering, yes, i did feel bad after smashing my car... but not as bad as i feel if i catch no fish...

thanks guys!

Edited by dani!o

Don't wish to add to your misfortune but by the look of the front wheel there appears to be a lot more damage than just pannels.

Suspect the suspension is bent & perhaps some of the sub frame and /or the drive shaft.

Suggest the wheel be removed for a closer view & assessement of the front end

Geoff

hi mate

from the photos above and what the guys have said

i would say your up for more than panels!!

from the photos it looks like the control arm and strout mount are damaged and possibly the swing arm

Have u checked engine mounts and cvs ?I would suggest this be done to see if the engine has moved

from the inpact and the drive shaft (cvs) probly fubar

Check the front cradle the engine sits in if this is bent your in trouble check for loose washers

or wear marks from where the washers were sitting but now have been moved

hope this helps a little and u will be able to tell a bit better what your up to

cheers

miller

hey everyone

wow thank you all very much for your concern, i apologise but i should have made it more clear that a mechanic has fixed most of the internal damage... and yes, the suspension was bent, control arms bent, drive shaft bent, hub replaced, and sub chassis was bent too.... i didnt think the engine mounts would have been pushed because the wheels hit the curb... the mechanic didnt say anything about engine mounts either... but ya, for now the mechanical side seems ok....

but, this mechanic seems to have a strong aversion to looking for parts... after fixing the mechanics as is but left out the panel, lights, and a new wheel which i need... as for a panel beater, i dont think theres much point because the panel is well and truly gone so im just looking for a new panel which i will either respray or might even be in the same color (royal blue is subarus flagship color)....

so yeah, if anyone knows a panel beater, mechanic, at the end of the day im just looking for someone who can get my car back on the road, thats all... im in a bit of a hurry too because my rego is finished and i need to get it fixed before i can rerego... so yeah, thanks again everyone

For a quick fix yeah just bolt on a panel but beware. Very odd / sloppy for a mechanic to put it back together and not check it is straight. Surprised your mechanic didn't just call the wreckers and finish the job for you if that's what you were happy with.

You may end up with all sorts of alighnment problems that won't show for a while.

If you are keeping the car take it to a panelbeater or heasman suspension and get them to put it on the jig to see if it is still as per factory straight or you will be forever chewing tyres and possibly lose safety with abs and viscous diffs under stress

Half a job will be expensive in the long term

If this was done via insurance make sure it gets done properly as they shouldn't be shortcutting.

A very good friend of mine is a mechanic. He now pretty much builds custom show cars and turbo street cars but no matter what is always willing to put his hand up and do whatever the custiomer asks for be it panel or mechanical work. Ill happily PM you his company name and website if you would like. I can personally vouch for his company as they built and worked on My twin turbo clubsport, WRX and GSR EVO. Man i miss my cars ( i now have a 4x4 can't tow in any of those cars)

Mitch

A very good friend of mine is a mechanic. He now pretty much builds custom show cars and turbo street cars but no matter what is always willing to put his hand up and do whatever the custiomer asks for be it panel or mechanical work. Ill happily PM you his company name and website if you would like. I can personally vouch for his company as they built and worked on My twin turbo clubsport, WRX and GSR EVO. Man i miss my cars ( i now have a 4x4 can't tow in any of those cars)

Mitch

hey mitch thanks very much for the reply, i was hoping to get a personal referral... mate, your friend sounds like a highly skilled mechanic, so if he doesnt mind doing this sorta boring work then please pm me indeed... umm, i dont think i mentioned im in nsw, in kensington (east), where abouts is your mechanic?

mate that would very much be appreciated, thanks heaps