Skinny Squid Jigs...

Tony Soprano

Gday all...

I recently picked up a couple of new squid jigs. They're quite different to the normal yo-zuri style prawn jig I'm used to....

They look like this-

dsc00815ct5.jpg

I'm just wondering if anyone has used these (or similar) before and had any success, and if so, how did you fish them?

I gave one a run a few weeks back in the harbour and I couldn't get it to sink more than a metre or so below the surface of the water. The entire jig is plastic and there is no weight to it apart from the barbs on the end...

I tried using a tiny sinker running down onto the top of the jig but it just nose-dived...

Are these only intended for very shallow water?

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Tony :beersmile:

Edited by Tony Soprano

i got those a while back,

havent used them as yet, the ideas right and there meant to reflect ALOT of light to imitate fleeing bait fish

but i dont think they will cast and sink that well..

only one thing u can do and thats TRY EM ...

steve

Thanks for your input guys...

Anyone else used these with any success?

Used these and many others but with these its best to add a small ball sinker for casting and for dropping down we used paternoster rigs with about a 40cm leader for the jig.Caught far more squid on an orange and red/yellow yozuri than any other jig ever.Stick with regular shapes and try the newer ones that stink(ask your tackle shop,they smell shocking but squid love em),hope this helps.

Ok cool I suppose it won't hurt to send it down on a paternoster with a couple of other jigs...

Smoothaz- The one's that stink, are they the pheremone-skin jigs from YoZuri?

I had a look at some of them the other day and they look great.

YoZuri pheremones are good(try a big online auction site for these) but try the KAKYADAKS squid jigs and as the name suggests,they stink like something direct from the bowels of the ocean,cheers and hook a few up guys,smoothaz.

The Duel Pheromone Skin jigs kick butt but at $28 they are pricey. I really like them in size 4.0 as they are of good casting weight and squid of all sizes will pounce on them, even those annoying little buggers :1prop: .

Been using them for a good 6 months now and would recommend them to anyone.

Cheers

Red