3-6kg Outfit

kbark

Hey guys,

I'm looking to purchase an outfit in the 3-6kg range and will be primarily using it to hunt kings using unweighted/weighted sluggos and squid strips.

I was thinking of a Daiwa Advantage 3000 with either a Diawa Saltwater or Starlo Stix Pro in terms of a spinning outfit...but now I'm wondering whether a casting outfit might be better suited?

Thoughts and recommendations appreciated...budget around 400-500 AUD for the combo.

Cheers,

Kit

Most would say spin however i'm a baitcaster fan, especially for kings. The ability to lock up quickly with your thumb is their best feature. There 2nd best feature is no more wind knots :1prop:

In your price range, something like the new Curado 100D on a Starlo Pro rod would do the job nicely. You may even end up with change :thumbup: Daiwa make some nice affordable rods like the Advantage range. Good luck.

Cheers

Red

Edited by Red

thanks Red.

How will the baitcaster go throwing unweighted sluggos and squid strips. Are they heavy enough to cast on a 3-6kg rod?

Gidday Mate

I reckon the baitcaster will be a bit of a strugglw with the unweighted slugos. I would opt for a spinning outfit.

A seven foot rod with a 3000-4000 sized reel will cover most situations if fishing in the Harbour or the Bay. :biggrin2:

I use a 4000 Stella and a Miller Beast Buster. I also have a GLX Loomis custom with a 2500 Stella (2007 model) which would be ok until the fish start getting over 70cm, then there will be trouble. :wacko:

If you do go for a baitcaster, you may not get the distance on the cast you are looking for. The ability to thumb the spool is a definite benefit though.

If you do go for the eggbeater, make sure you get a high end Daiwa or a Shimano with the new line management goodies on board (Stella or Stradic would be my preference).

thanks Red.

How will the baitcaster go throwing unweighted sluggos and squid strips. Are they heavy enough to cast on a 3-6kg rod?

Kbark, what size are your sluggo's and how far do you need to throw your strips? I throw unweighted strips with a Curado and an Alphas. If you are not 100% with baitcasters, stick to the eggbeaters.

Cheers

Red

yeah...I'm torn...hence the post. I probably don't need to throw them that far as I fish predominantly in the harbour and pittwater (casting around moorings and markers). The accuracy of the baitcaster is attractive in that respect. 6" sluggos I'm guessing and varous flick baits. I used to own a calcutta 200 and do like the feel and play of the baitcaster. just not sure and this will be the last purchase I can convince the :wife: to approve for some time so I want to get it right.

I currently have a shimano snapper raider with a 4000symetre but find this a little stiff and clunky to cast unweighted sluggos and strips (rated 5-8kg). It's great off the bottom and with heavier lures and kills the kings once hooked up.

I'm wanting something in between this and my 2-4kg starlo stix pro lite/2500 tierra.

thanks again for your suggestions,

Kit

• 2 weeks later...

What about a Nitro Magnum and a Stradic 3 or 4000

I just picked one up with a 4000

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Fits the budget too.

Cheers

Wigg

Nice one Wigg!!! So , you took the advice provided by Ceph! Don't blame me when you get smoked by a 10kg model!! :yahoo:

Hey guys,

I'm looking to purchase an outfit in the 3-6kg range and will be primarily using it to hunt kings using unweighted/weighted sluggos and squid strips.

I was thinking of a Daiwa Advantage 3000 with either a Diawa Saltwater or Starlo Stix Pro in terms of a spinning outfit...but now I'm wondering whether a casting outfit might be better suited?

Thoughts and recommendations appreciated...budget around 400-500 AUD for the combo.

Cheers,

Kit

Everyone has there preferences but I would recommend and personally use a spinner. You cant beat it for casting unweighted plastics/baits and when there is a bit of a breeze. Wind knots- I never have a problem. Something is not right if your getting wind knots. I dont think you need an expensive reel to avoid wind knots either. Something is not right- the brand of line, overfilled spool or guides on wrong.