Browns Is It That Good

Ross Hunter

BROWNS…………………….. IS IT ALL ITS CRACKED UP TO BE?

It was interesting in the mid seventies going to Browns Mountain on a compass and land marks only. When you arrived at the rough vicinity having steered at 082 degrees on the compass, you really hoped that Ernie Brown was there on his famous boat

‘The Dolphin”

The Mountain was named after Ernie, one of the pioneering blue eye trevalla fisherman.

It was a relief to see the Dolphin at least you knew you had found the mountain, bearing in mind that sounders of that vintage were all paper models and most did not read too much over 100 fathoms.

We caught many fine tuna and marlin (remember long lining had not been introduced back then so the tuna had no commercial pressure at all . Fish of 70 to 90 kilos were demanded and caught without a second look)

When you worked around this area you would be amazed if you actually saw another boat out there, it rarely happened.

To day, since the advent of GPS and faster boats The Mountain has become The Peak of the seventies…I recall counting 80 boats at The Peak one day, all hooked up on 30 to 40 lb Kingies, before the advent of kingfish traps , giant kings smashing sauries on the surface a great sight, a memory I will take to me grave

Likewise last season at the Mountain, we counted 65 boats fishing the area I would never have dreamed this 30 years ago when it was a “planned adventure” to go that far for a days fishing.

Check the weather and make sure you get it right as we were in a 6 metre boat and help was always going to be along way away , especially in a summer storm front where it then became a frightening trip home in a 40 knot gale.

These days we mostly fish elsewhere, sometimes wider, sometimes on the Canyons sometimes to the north

I have never had a good days tuna fishing when there are 40 other cube trails to compete with, so Glenn and myself avoid that situation.

To catch marlin we never go there, as the majority of striped marlin travel the shelf line and shallower, searching for the vast schools of blue mackerel that live there.

Whilst this modern day mindset is focussed so much on Browns Mountain, the fact is that Broadbill and Billfisher’s success of constant catches of tuna and albies this season have all been achieved in other areas a long way from Browns.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT.

For more hints and details on “How To catch mahis, kingies, blue marlin striped and black visit our we site www.gamefishingcharters.com.au....Go into Fishing Stories and Hints and keep scrolling down There is a heap to read with some great photos

My Webpage Click on this link

I agree with you there ross your spot on,the more boats fishin the one area like browns mountain,the less

chance of having much success on that day.There is nothing better than finding your own peace of that big

ocean out there,& getting among some nice tuna or albies with no one else around.

Even the other day i went out wide,i found that the water temperature was better,the bird activity alot more

& even baitfish more present just over the shelf than it was out around browns.

Last season was a good example like you said,when there were 40 boats all cubing at browns crammed in

on top of each other,we just headed for the canyons down south & here there were just 3 or 4 boats fishin

the whole area & all catching plenty of good tuna to 35kg.It was like that all season as well last year.

There is definately plenty of other good area's to fish out there off botany bay,which can be better & alot

less crowded than browns mountain.

cheers mate;

steve

Interesting article Ross, i think with the advancements in boats, motors and electronics, Heatons Hill will be the next frontier.... that scares the pants off me too...

There are certainly better places to fish, or at least places that give you a better chance of getting your own fish the same distance, some even closer than browns...

However, Browns still rocks for Gemmies and Blue Eye Cod.

However, Browns still rocks for Gemmies and Blue Eye Cod.

Another very interesting topic Ross. There's some good food for thought for the deep sea blokes in your article as far as consistently fishing Brown's is concerned.

Having to contend with 65 boats at Browns would just about ruin the game fishing at Browns for everyone and it may pay to hunt on elsewhere.

Sammy an alternative and a bit of fun on the Gemmies and Blue Eyed Cod ...... Quick trip to Browns ........Fast hit and run tactics ...... A legal multi boat winch operation....... Get the quota of whopper gemfish and Blue Eyed Cod on a few drops on haulable paternostas...... Shoot back to flathead drifting off Como sand flats while you read the Sunday papers and nonchalantly clean all the deep sea monsters at Alford's Point boat ramp and keep on talking about the improvement up near the Woronora Bridge :D

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Another very interesting topic Ross. There's some good food for thought for the deep sea blokes in your article as far as consistently fishing Brown's is concerned.

Having to contend with 65 boats at Browns would just about ruin the game fishing at Browns for everyone and it may pay to hunt on elsewhere.

Sammy an alternative and a bit of fun on the Gemmies and Blue Eyed Cod ...... Quick trip to Browns ........Fast hit and run tactics ...... A legal multi boat winch operation....... Get the quota of whopper gemfish and Blue Eyed Cod on a few drops on haulable paternostas...... Shoot back to flathead drifting off Como sand flats while you read the Sunday papers and nonchalantly clean all the deep sea monsters at Alford's Point boat ramp and keep on talking about the improvement up near the Woronora Bridge :D

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Ya gotta luv that jewgaffer.To me catching blue eye with a 10lb weight not knowing wether you have a fish on for most of the 20 minute wind up is meat fishing at it's best I can remember helping a mate catch those hideous things many years ago at the mountain on a proffesional basis, after 10 trips of winding, winding, winding I swore that I would never do it again and I haven't.Give me a fish that fights any day....one that you actually know you have caught.But noew we have electronic reels so you can read the paper whilst your fish comes up from the abbiss

Whilst they are a good eating fish, so are albacore and tuna and they actually require a little skill to find and catch. :1fishing1:

I would prefer to do a bush bog and fall back in it, than catch those rediculous things.

Just my personal thoughts.

Roscoe

Ya gotta luv that jewgaffer.To me catching blue eye with a 10lb weight not knowing wether you have a fish on for most of the 20 minute wind up is meat fishing at it's best I can remember helping a mate catch those hideous things many years ago at the mountain on a proffesional basis, after 10 trips of winding, winding, winding I swore that I would never do it again and I haven't.Give me a fish that fights any day....one that you actually know you have caught.But noew we have electronic reels so you can read the paper whilst your fish comes up from the abbiss

Whilst they are a good eating fish, so are albacore and tuna and they actually require a little skill to find and catch. :1fishing1:

I would prefer to do a bush bog and fall back in it, than catch those rediculous things.

Just my personal thoughts.

Roscoe

Roscoe of the great blue yonder.... if one was to do a bush bog and then lost enough balance to fall back in the bog of bush, what would be the best way to rid thy of the bog????

Roscoe

Thats gold :074::074::074:

I have done the painfully boring Blue-eye drop only once and that was enough. Suprised it took you 10 trips Roscoe :1prop: Getting bashed for 20 miles in a trailerboat is not much fun at the best of times.

These days i'd much rather feed a floater to a red or even gather calamari for bait. Must be getting old :1prop:

Cheers

Red

Thanks for your insights ross. Im new to this game fishing thing and after the charter day with glenn and yourself as well as the limited trips that i have done i had come to my own conclusion that is very similar so im gald your years of knowledge can back up my own ponderings!!!!!

Thanks again for all your tips, as nothing can beat experience in this game! Not even technology!

Tight lines :1fishing1:

BROWNS…………………….. IS IT ALL ITS CRACKED UP TO BE?

It was interesting in the mid seventies going to Browns Mountain on a compass and land marks only. When you arrived at the rough vicinity having steered at 082 degrees on the compass, you really hoped that Ernie Brown was there on his famous boat

‘The Dolphin”

The Mountain was named after Ernie, one of the pioneering blue eye trevalla fisherman.

It was a relief to see the Dolphin at least you knew you had found the mountain, bearing in mind that sounders of that vintage were all paper models and most did not read too much over 100 fathoms.

We caught many fine tuna and marlin (remember long lining had not been introduced back then so the tuna had no commercial pressure at all . Fish of 70 to 90 kilos were demanded and caught without a second look)

When you worked around this area you would be amazed if you actually saw another boat out there, it rarely happened.

To day, since the advent of GPS and faster boats The Mountain has become The Peak of the seventies…I recall counting 80 boats at The Peak one day, all hooked up on 30 to 40 lb Kingies, before the advent of kingfish traps , giant kings smashing sauries on the surface a great sight, a memory I will take to me grave

Likewise last season at the Mountain, we counted 65 boats fishing the area I would never have dreamed this 30 years ago when it was a “planned adventure” to go that far for a days fishing.

Check the weather and make sure you get it right as we were in a 6 metre boat and help was always going to be along way away , especially in a summer storm front where it then became a frightening trip home in a 40 knot gale.

These days we mostly fish elsewhere, sometimes wider, sometimes on the Canyons sometimes to the north

I have never had a good days tuna fishing when there are 40 other cube trails to compete with, so Glenn and myself avoid that situation.

To catch marlin we never go there, as the majority of striped marlin travel the shelf line and shallower, searching for the vast schools of blue mackerel that live there.

Whilst this modern day mindset is focussed so much on Browns Mountain, the fact is that Broadbill and Billfisher’s success of constant catches of tuna and albies this season have all been achieved in other areas a long way from Browns.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT.

For more hints and details on “How To catch mahis, kingies, blue marlin striped and black visit our we site www.gamefishingcharters.com.au....Go into Fishing Stories and Hints and keep scrolling down There is a heap to read with some great photos

My Webpage Click on this link

i would love somewhere closer to go would you be willing to give some some gps spots closer to cruise around and chase some tuna as i am going to browns tomorrow morning and dreading it.

if i catch fish at your spot i will book a day on your boat.

regards dom

i would love somewhere closer to go would you be willing to give some some gps spots closer to cruise around and chase some tuna as i am going to browns tomorrow morning and dreading it.

if i catch fish at your spot i will book a day on your boat.

regards dom

Dom 1,

Sorry mate did not read your post until this morning There are no close spots We caught albacore and yellowfin both days 7 n.mile north of Browns There are no magic close areas to catch these fish unfortunately

Ross

Dom 1,

Sorry mate did not read your post until this morning There are no close spots We caught albacore and yellowfin both days 7 n.mile north of Browns There are no magic close areas to catch these fish unfortunately

Ross

thank you ross for your reply i was heading out saturday got about 10 mile and headed back in it was to rough for my liking.

i like reading your reports and will enjoy one day booking a charter with you.

regards domenic