Fitting Reef Queen Reel To Cruiscraft

LUKEC

Hi All

Have just brought an Alvey Reef Queen Reel and it has the base that slides into the rod holder. The rod holders are stainless however they have rubber inserts and when the reel is in there it is not very rigid.

Has anyone encounted this problem?

How did you fix it?

Jus want to makie sure it is fitted properly before use as i believe it would need an extra backing plate on the underside of the gunnel etc.

Thanks

Luke

Get a piece of PVC pipe that just fits over the Reef Queen insert and you will find this squezzes nicely in rod holder and makes for a nice fit!

Hey

The fit is fine, its just that the Holder does not appear to be rigid enough.

Cheer

Luke

You should have a minimum of 130lb test rod holders. BLA do them. Those $20 ones from Bias will simply NOT suffice. You should be spending upward of $80 for cecent ones that will perofrm. They should also be fully reinforced with backing plates. You will be putting enormous pressure on your gunnels.

Thanks, the rod holders have come factory from Cruisecraft, but there is no back plate under the gunnel, i think i may just add a plate under the gunnel and it should be good.

Do you think the factory holders will suffice with an added backing plate?

Thanks, the rod holders have come factory from Cruisecraft, but there is no back plate under the gunnel, i think i may just add a plate under the gunnel and it should be good.

Do you think the factory holders will suffice with an added backing plate?

LUKEC..

i am not familiar with the rod holders that cruisecraft fit...but would strongly advise

some sort of backing plate to help spread the stress that is applied to the area were

the bolts go through the gunnel and affix to the rod holder....

its not so much the rod holder pursue were the trouble lies...(providing of course it is of at least reasonable quality)

that can't handle the stress but the gunnel fracturing from the constant flexing...

hence the backing plate to help eliminate this.. the other area of failure being the gimbal pin on the rod holder check it out

and if it is just a pin thats been flared at the end's then remove it and replace with a

s/steel bolt which i think is around 8mm from memory so just check first

do that and keep an eye on it see how it holds up and

Is there an area under the gunnel were a bracket of some sort can be fixed at the lower end

of the rod holder by chance ??????? for helping in eliminating movement here is an enormous advantage

Cheers Warnie....

LUKEC..

i am not familiar with the rod holders that cruisecraft fit...but would strongly advise

some sort of backing plate to help spread the stress that is applied to the area were

the bolts go through the gunnel and affix to the rod holder....

its not so much the rod holder pursue were the trouble lies...(providing of course it is of at least reasonable quality)

that can't handle the stress but the gunnel fracturing from the constant flexing...

hence the backing plate to help eliminate this.. the other area of failure being the gimbal pin on the rod holder check it out

and if it is just a pin thats been flared at the end's then remove it and replace with a

s/steel bolt which i think is around 8mm from memory so just check first

do that and keep an eye on it see how it holds up and

Is there an area under the gunnel were a bracket of some sort can be fixed at the lower end

of the rod holder by chance ??????? for helping in eliminating movement here is an enormous advantage

Cheers Warnie....

Yeah actually thats a good idea,thanks for the tips gents, i know what i need t consider now.

Cheers

Luke

Definitely put some sort of backing plate or reinforce with marine ply as I have witnessed gunnel failure last time we were out at browns fishing for blue eye. It took three of us to get everything under control to lessen the damage especially when the bloke had a 23 kilo blue eye on the other end. The backing should not be any less than a foot long.

Cheers