Advice Required

Guest bluecod

Guest bluecod

G'day fellas,

The boat I normally fish from will be unavailable for three weeks, so that means I will have to get mine back into the water after about a nine month layup. Motor was serviced just before being put to bed.

I've been over the trailer checked the bearings, replaced cracked tyres, charged the battery, killed all the spiders etc. :04: and will run the motor on the "ears" tomorrow for a good ten minutes.

Is there anything else I will need to watch out for that I may have overlooked.

:1happybday: and Merry Xmas to all Raiders and their families.

This may sound stupid but there is this little spider that builds its nest up pipe ways such as tell tails

A little bit of wire normally gets the web out of the way and water etc starts to flow free again

Not kidding on this one the old man showed me this years ago and it happens all the time and people say "my tell tails not working"

What I'm saying is if this little sucker can do it there it can do it anywhere so get a piece of wire or air hose

Boppa

Guest bluecod
This may sound stupid but there is this little spider that builds its nest up pipe ways such as tell tails

A little bit of wire normally gets the web out of the way and water etc starts to flow free again

Boppa

24661[/snapback]

Thanks Boppa,

I'm awake to those little suckers - had them on my last Yamaha and when we changed houses had a 5 burner barbeque plagued by the little critters - the little sods got into the gas jets and formed a solid mass of web - took me a while to figure it out, but got them in the end.

Got a nice long piece of copper wire ready for its run tomorrow. :biggrin2:

Guest bluecod

You're right Fishn - 50hp Yammie but its oil injected and the reservoir is under the cowling - I rob the fuel tanks for fuel when I have to mow the lawns [sorry - when the kids have to mow the lawns] and they are just about empty so it will be fresh fuel going thorugh it.

I've heard of motors blowing seals [and I'm not talking about the fur seal either]when they've had a lay-up but have not had a problem with this before in previous boats - can anyone elaborate on this?

Edited by bluecod

I think the blown seals has to do with them getting dry of oil when they are stored. Rubber tends to dry up and crack, as it does with tyres. I don't know what you would do to aleviate the problem. Perhaps running it on a very rich oil mix when you first fire it up, and not revving it till it has completely warmed up. Just let it idle.

Guest bluecod
I think the blown seals has to do with them getting dry of oil when they are stored. Rubber tends to dry up and crack, as it does with tyres. I don't know what you would do to aleviate the problem. Perhaps running it on a very rich oil mix when you first fire it up, and not revving it till it has completely warmed up. Just let it idle.

24679[/snapback]

Makes sense about the seals Joe, though if they do dry out like a tyre I don't think any amount of oil will rectify it. I intended to give her a run in the backyard tomorrow to see if I had any significant problem [ idle for ten]. The only seal that I can think of that may be affected would be the main oil seal around the driveshaft - major job to replace that! Fortunately the motor has only low hours and hopefully will be OK.

If all's well I might get out the Hawkesbury/BB on Friday callsign on 27 ch 94 is.. you guessed it "Bluecod" [i think its actually VJ2KC176 but haven't used that for years]