Water Depths Off Sydney..

Nolongeramember

Im buying a new sounder and want to make sure I have enough power to get good readings out wide...

What is the approximate depth around Browns Mountain, and the various reefs etc off Sydney?

And just out of curiosity, how deep is it after the Continental Shelf, and how big is the drop?

Thanks guys...

Im buying a new sounder and want to make sure I have enough power to get good readings out wide...

What is the approximate depth around Browns Mountain, and the various reefs etc off Sydney?

And just out of curiosity, how deep is it after the Continental Shelf, and how big is the drop?

Thanks guys...

Hi Roylo.....

ask and look around first with other boats what sounder's and transducer's they are running and it

will quickly come clear to you what does the job...

the depth at the top of the mountain is around 1,270 ft dropping down to around 1,500-1,600 ft

on the fringe's so that amount's to around half the depth deeper drop than the continental shelf at 600ft ( 100fths)

sorry about the feet for brown's...i will let some of the other guy's give the depth's of some of

the other reef's......in regards to the drop?.... i take that to be after crossing over the continental shelf

and when you do after an initial steady drop to approx 120 fths it is just a gradual progressive drop from there onwards......this of cause can vary greatly from what part of the coast line you do it at.....

good luck on your choice of sounder.....

Cheers Warnie....

I dont know, I was taught that 200 fathoms was the true nautical shelf line, but I could be wrong.....

You're probably right mate. You often here south coast fishos talk about the 2nd drop etc

I'm sure you'll do well in the comp. You just got to keep an eye on those "Reel Quick" lads :1prop:

Regards

Red

Ok thanks for he replys. Sounds like the deepest water Im ever likely to come across in a trailer boat off sydney is at Browns at approx 450m. Is that right?

Just on the sounders, Ill ask here while Im at it. What depths approximately does your 200KHz frequency run out of steam and you start to use 50KHz. From what I can gather 200KHz gives a better reading so you would persist with this until you have to swap to 50KHz.

Ok thanks for he replys. Sounds like the deepest water Im ever likely to come across in a trailer boat off sydney is at Browns at approx 450m. Is that right?

Just on the sounders, Ill ask here while Im at it. What depths approximately does your 200KHz frequency run out of steam and you start to use 50KHz. From what I can gather 200KHz gives a better reading so you would persist with this until you have to swap to 50KHz.

Hi roylo

just to clarify things a tad.....you will come across greater depths of water than browns...... but most likely

browns will be the deepest depth of water you will most likely attempt to fish...having a sounder that will punch to that depth is an advantage obviously if you are going to be fishing the mountain...200khz against 50 khz.again depends on what set up you are running if it were to read better on one or the other ....... then you would just switch over accordingly i myself read it on 200khz easily.....co-incindently when i myself fish out way over the shelf most times i would not be reading the bottom that would be a waste of time for me..... but have it reading the top coloumn 40 fathoms of water endevouring to locate bait and this is were the plotter comes in to its own by using the contour lines as a guide........you will find that when refering to the shelf we are talking 100 fathoms

the second drop off being 1,000 fathoms.......places like bermagui for example are easily reachable but out

of sydney......only for the big fellas.......hope that is a bit more insight for you.....

Cheers Warnie.....