Snapper Fishing

frankp

Im looking to head outside botany bay on the weekned for some snapper, possible around maroubra and wanted to see what was the best way to fish for snapper for eg bottom bouncing, floating out baits with a berley or just drifting.

Also if anyone has any other spots for snapper in this area.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Im looking to head outside botany bay on the weekned for some snapper, possible around maroubra and wanted to see what was the best way to fish for snapper for eg bottom bouncing, floating out baits with a berley or just drifting.

Also if anyone has any other spots for snapper in this area.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

There's plenty of good reef about a mile off Maroubra in depths of 65 to 80m. You will pick up snapper, mowies and other reef fish. It extends to the north towards Coogee. I would suggest drifting with a 2-hook patternoster rig and 8oz snapper lead. You will often see charter boats drifting the area and this would be a good guide to productive spots.

PS: I don't think it will be fishable this weekend though with the strong southerly wind.

Edited by billfisher

Forget the paternoster IMO , you'll catch squat.

1st option would be to anchor up near a pinacle or bomby and berly like mad. Then float some baits down, using as little weight as you can to get the bait down.

2nd option would be to drift the area, again floatlining your baits down the water column.

Guest Big-Banana

The reefs I'm talking about are too deep for floaters most of the time (current is usually too strong). The patternoster may not be trendy but stll works, from the same area - two in one drop:

Agreed, fished in the right spot, they are just as good.

Floaters aren't much good if the currents roaring, burley isn't dispersing and you can't get to the bottom where the fish might be holding.

Guest Big-Banana

Still will get floaters down when current is running. Regularly floatline in depths of 100m.

What ever works for you I suppose.........

Just depends how patient you are I guess :1prop: